Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enforcer Custom Corvette

James2

This is one of those kits!

I purchased this a while ago because of the interest and low cost. After opening the box I put it back in storage and forgot about for a year or so , "one of those kits."

But earlier this year I was compelled, because of the interest, to take a stab at it. The plan was to build it to as close to box stock as possible. With the heavy molded parts and toy like chrome, I decided to strip those pieces and refinish with Alclad. As for the rest of the kit, clean up and seam removal has been tedious to say the least. Parts fitment is questionable and somewhat of a guessing game, being "one of those kits."

2v2EE3R4dxAghwd.jpg 

2v2EE3RTLxAghwd.jpg

I only work on this when I really feel like it, because it is "one of those kits" I started with the ride height and stance. Lowering the front was a challenge but was accomplished with careful adjustment and then the rear axle assembly was built and tweaked. This let all four tires fill the fender wells. The front tires were change to the tires from a Revell Nova kit. This helped a lot with stance.

2v2EE3RGyxAghwd.jpg

2v2EE3RgFxAghwd.jpg 

After a few more weeks on the shelf, I started clean up on the body. More to come...

1 hour ago, mod3l Lover said:

It seems to be a Mako Shark with different box art!?!

I like it a lot!!  Lots of cool possibilities there.

David S.

It's what's left of the old Mako Shark, with some alterations. I'm planning to build one someday as a '70s street-driven Shark clone. 

On 2018-12-14 at 5:23 PM, mod3l Lover said:

It seems to be a Mako Shark with different box art!?!

I like it a lot!!  Lots of cool possibilities there.

David S.

On 2018-12-14 at 6:45 PM, Snake45 said:

It's what's left of the old Mako Shark, with some alterations. I'm planning to build one someday as a '70s street-driven Shark clone. 

Yes, MPC did a couple of altered versions based on the Mako Shark kit, this one and the ones here below.

5c15be7d61f1a_!B9U6OQwCWk(KGrHqR!ksEyjCw5S(BM5bJ7JMnQ_3.jpg.72d4ca773659f705a0fab940da9809f6.jpg

new50-vi.jpg.695305fde7b71e165b4d89d8eb9b7871.jpg

As previously stated, I only work on this model when I really feel like it. Because being "one of those kits" it will test not just your modeling skills but your patients as well.  My first order of business was getting the body together and to align things properly.

2v2EE3RCnxAghwd.jpg2v2EE3RWdxAghwd.jpg

The glass is in pretty good shape for being tossed around in the box for years. I think a light polish is all that is needed.

2v2EE3RSgxAghwd.jpg

Next up is the roof. Here you can see a section of the drip rail missing and the first steps in correcting it.

2v2EEQBiGxAghwd.jpg2v2EEQBDnxAghwd.jpg2v2EEQB4qxAghwd.jpg

After some sanding and a rough coat of primer this is what I have.

2v2EEQBmFxAghwd.jpg

I then sanded this smooth and added another coat of primer, I show it with the rest of the body later.

Thanks for the interest, comment as you like...

Edited by James2

Nice correction on the drip rail! I like where this is going. 

Corvettes are the American Exotic sports car!

Never had the disire to own a vette, but I do think the potential for customizing can make the car individual. I think 56 to 67 vettes look best in stock form but  1968 and up there are no rules! The more wild the better!

15 hours ago, James2 said:

Losing an auction by $1is frustrating to say the least, hopefully one will come around again.

Thanks for the interest also...

yeah I received the notification to bump my bid just as the auction ended. I did however find a partially built one that was buried with other kits...so I may be back in business haha. The work you performed so far looks awesome btw. Ill be following so I can do the same

So the other day i recieved my ebay score. Thought id share the direction im going. I had to buy 5 corvette builds to get a started street shark... now that i have one, its going full drag race mode (will open up the rear wheelwells for proper slick location and put proper wheels under it). First stop is a trip in the purple bath. 

JAMES...i blame you 100 percent for starting your build and making me buy this haha

20181231_193210.jpg

THREAD HIJACK OVER

Edited by chris chabre

On 12/24/2018 at 2:25 AM, Lunajammer said:

Nice to see that the hood fit problem isn't just in my kit. Like you, this is one I've taken out and put away more times than I can remember over the years. I like what I see here.

It's in all of them right back to the first issue Mako Shark. I know, I just restored one and ended up making tabs and gluing the hood shut. 

I'm liking the other builds here and thanks for the interest.

16 hours ago, chris chabre said:

JAMES...i blame you 100 percent for starting your build and making me buy this haha

Chris, if it keeps you out of the dog house, I'll take the blame, glad to help...

Here are some pix of the fit and way I went about fixing my hood. First I added a piece of styrene to each side as a guide/stay. Some slight tweaking and a little sanding did the trick.

2v2EaGjRVxAghwd.jpg2v2EaGjkLxAghwd.jpg

It should close the gap better once it is glued at final assembly...

2v2EaGjLDxAghwd.jpg2v2EaGjnSxAghwd.jpg