Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

GeeBee

3 minutes ago, Shambles said:

Nice work, Geoff. I wish I could get better with airbrushing. Using the rattle cans is a hit-or-miss. Do you airbrush the primer too? I've never primed the little parts since it requires tedious scraping away of the enamel paint or primer to get the glue to adhere. Is there a secret I don't know about for gluing together painted parts?

Pretty much all my painting is done using an airbrush, i only used brushes on small detail parts, yes the small parts do need scraping to get them to glue properly,although using 2 part epoxy glue doesn't need the plastic to plastic bonding.

Great looking paint work. Just a little suggestion since you're going for the showroom appearance. The A pillar has an area that would be painted white to match the roof color. This is between the vent window trim and the windshield trim. This is a very slim area that can easily be touched up by brush painting.  

On 9/19/2019 at 3:23 PM, espo said:

The A pillar has an area that would be painted white to match the roof color. This is between the vent window trim and the windshield trim. This is a very slim area that can easily be touched up by brush painting.  

I believe that you may be mistaken, at least on the Belair Sport Coupe.

It appears to be all chrome from front to back.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.a38410f2479d82379dab4cba9c1620c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.9e0c50c2a2a4004b09dd4a595cb700cd.jpeg

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I believe that you may be mistaken, at least on the Belair Sport Coupe.

It appears to be all chrome from front to back.

Steve

image.thumb.jpeg.a38410f2479d82379dab4cba9c1620c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.9e0c50c2a2a4004b09dd4a595cb700cd.jpeg

After looking at your photo I guess I should stand corrected. I owned a 210 Hardtop long ago and there were differences in the trim. I may have been thinking of the '56 year model Bel Air. Sorry about any confusion I may have created.  

2 hours ago, espo said:

After looking at your photo I guess I should stand corrected. I owned a 210 Hardtop long ago and there were differences in the trim. I may have been thinking of the '56 year model Bel Air. Sorry about any confusion I may have created.  

No problem, I was going to PM you, as I'd been looking at the photos of the 1:1 I'd downloaded, and couldn't see which part you were on about.

3 hours ago, espo said:

1956 was the same as the '57. :)

The high end models got an extra piece of trim to fill the gap between the vent window and windshield molding.

Same in '55.

Steve

image.png.c0676b7d4ccd87d9002a1a30b8739b59.png

image.png.8239b797efb5e411cd1d00fe9022bdd3.png

3 hours ago, espo said:

You're not compeletely wrong, the 2/4d post 57 210's/Bel Airs had that small area painted in roof color?

5960-Driver-Side-2.jpg

Edited by ATHU

2 hours ago, ATHU said:

You're not compeletely wrong, the 2/4d post 57 210's/Bel Airs had that small area painted in roof color?

1 hour ago, Bucky said:

Absolutely true on both counts.

But Geoff's build depicts a '57 Belair sport coupe, not a sedan.

We don't want to confuse the situation.

This is why there are different "trim levels".

The 210 and 150 sedans had almost no bright work window trim at all.

Steve

10 minutes ago, henry57 said:

Beautiful paint. How much was a bottle of the MCW Lacquer? How well does it cover?

I believe a 1 oz. jar of MCW lacquer still runs about $7.50.

The last time I ordered right after they switched hands, I received several jars that were over thinned and did not cover well.

But this is the exception and not the rule.

In general, I have few complaints about MCW.

I recently started using Scale Finishes because you get twice the amount, ( a 2 oz. bottle) for $2.50 more. ($9.99 a bottle) and the paint is every bit as good.

That plus the fact that there were colors that Scale Finishes carried that I would have had to special order from MCW.

But that said, MCW produces a great product!

Steve