Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

GeeBee

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

I bought this a few weeks ago, I'll be practicing on something else before trying to do the Bel Air script on the model though....

20200709_121353.jpg

20200709_121402.jpg

Depending on how it flows this may give you a lot more control on small trim items. I noticed your post of some future builds. I'm sure you already know about the gold trim on the Fairlane's and the Bel Airs, but the '57 Chevy Black Widow model is of a 150 series and while the box end shows a gold  on the hood that is incorrect. The gold was used only on the Bel Airs and all others were the normal chrome finish. Of course you can trim them anyway you wish but on a showroom type build this is just the way it was. This should also work well on the Oldsmobile's globe portion of the hood and trunk emblem. This portion was a low metallic and low gloss finish. Your two Flintstone resin kits are really well done, I look forward to when you build those. 

1 hour ago, Husky1943 said:

Actually, I meant to say that your "model is just practice for the next one," line was well said.  But, you are right that Geoff does beautiful work.  Anyway, shutting up now.

Thanks on both accounts. It's nice to know that someone is paying attention.

David G.

• 4 weeks later...

With the Land Rover finished, it's time to get back to the other models i have got to get finished,  I've got a week before we move back down to London, although there's no more painting needed on this one, so I might take it with me, I can always do a little work on it when time allows. 

Making a start on the Bare Metal foil on the other side, starting with the front wing

20200801_133315.jpg

Beautiful work as always! On your next 57 interior, don't forget to "chrome" the heater control knobs (4 small square objects low on the dash, right of steering column) and the glove box push-button! Can't wait to see what you do with that Revell 2 door sedan.

10 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Beautiful work as always! On your next 57 interior, don't forget to "chrome" the heater control knobs (4 small square objects low on the dash, right of steering column) and the glove box push-button! Can't wait to see what you do with that Revell 2 door sedan.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm leaning so much on these American cars, I'm not sure when I'm going to get chance to start anymore modelling for a while,  even though I've got the paint for the Revell 57 Bel Air sedan.

I really wasn't expecting this to be sitting on all four Wheels at the same time,  the rear axle where the wheels needed to be mounted on were way oversized, in fact the drivers side one was more square than round, but after a lot of time using the edge of a scalpel blade and a sanding stick, i got them to fit the wheels, still not trusting things to be level, I've dry fitted the body, no one was more surprised than me to see it sitting on all fours at the same time, these AMT kits certainly make you work....

20200804_135956.jpg

20200804_135932.jpg

20200804_135924.jpg

Geoff, As a huge '57 BelAir (and former owner of one as well as my Dad being an owner of 2) fan you have nailed this build both in terms of quality of workmenship and accuracy. I do have to tell you though, the under chassis sheetmetal on most true restorations I've seen are red oxide though I have seen some painted body color or black.  Please don't take this as a criticism, just pointing it out .

At any rate, yep that paticular model has some madening issues.

Looking forward to the completion, beautiful job!!!!!???

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I do have to tell you though, the under chassis sheetmetal on most true restorations I've seen are red oxide though I have seen some painted body color or black.  Please don't take this as a criticism, just pointing it out .

Cheers Mike, I'm still pretty new to building American car models, I've seen so many photos of restored cars with either body colour over spray, all black or red oxide,  I think the Revell version I have will be black,  mainly because the way that the chassis is molded as part of the floor, I've just ordered a load of Tamiya blue and grey paints to mix up the shade for the roof headlining,  I was just going to paint it white before I checked online, good job I did, now I know they were all colour coded to the body colour and interior. 

11783_l.jpg

Yep, when I did my last 57 using that kit I decided on the red oxide only because it seemed some of the pro restorations had it that way.  I'm pretty sure I looked at a website that is dedicated to the Tri-5 Chevies and that was what it said. BUT, like you and what I said earlier their are definately variations.  And again you are doing an absolutely beautiful job and your bare metal foil prowess is outstanding.

23 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Loving this build! I just can't get over the foiling? 

After painting and polishing,  Bare Metal foil has got to be my next favourite part of model building,  I still remember using it for the first time back in the early 1990's, I never thought I'd get the hang of it,  luckily I stuck at it,  after about 25 years of using it, I think I've got the hang of it now.....

4 hours ago, beeRS said:

That is sitting just perfect now Geoff. You're nearly there now. I love this part of a build - when you can almost see the finished article in sight.

I'm hoping I can get some more work done on it before I have to put my modelling on the backburner for a while, I'm moving back down to London the weekend, and hopefully my photography work will start to pick up again. 

3 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

After painting and polishing,  Bare Metal foil has got to be my next favourite part of model building,  I still remember using it for the first time back in the early 1990's, I never thought I'd get the hang of it,  luckily I stuck at it,  after about 25 years of using it, I think I've got the hang of it now.....

Well, you've certainly inspired me enough to buy the AMT '57 Chevy, haha! It won't look as good as this, but I'll try.

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Well, you've certainly inspired me enough to buy the AMT '57 Chevy, haha! It won't look as good as this, but I'll try.

I'm sure it will turn out just fine Gareth, looking forward to seeing your build.