Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air

GeeBee

On 9/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Oh cool! I wouldn't mind grabbing them off your hands if you're not going to use them. Not too often you find optional skirts on '57 Chevy kits. 

Hopefully you should have received the parts by now, or they shouldn't be too long, they were shipped out last Friday. 

• 3 weeks later...

As I'm unable to do any airbrushing until I move my spray booth and airbrushes into a heated outbuilding, I thought I'd get back to the Bel Air, not a great deal done today, as I've been busy with other work, managed to get the headlamps fitted.

20201015_182204.jpg

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

SPECTACULAR build ! Do you use the Tamiya tape for all the BMF work? What a great idea..... I need to try that.... what an incredible tutorial......

Pretty much yes, leaving a very small gap in between the tape and the part that I'm covering with bmf, it gives a channel for the scalpel blade to follow. 

It's very handy when you're doing the wheel arch trims, 

WheelarchmaskedreadyforBMF.jpg

RearwheelarchinBMF2.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Thanks Geoff............... that is a super neat trick, I am most definitely going to give that a go next time, I also think part of my problem is I am too stingy with the BMF, I think I need to use a larger piece to start with.......... this little trick with the tape is one I NEVER would have come up with............... brilliant !

Jeff

I'm not 100% happy with the front emblem which I hand painted, but even with a 10/0 brush and my magnifying lamp, it's the best these old eye's and hands can achieve, the fit of the bumper was pretty good, a little 5 minute epoxy soon had it permanently fitted in place 

20201018_173405.jpg

2 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I'm not 100% happy with the front emblem which I hand painted, but even with a 10/0 brush and my magnifying lamp, it's the best these old eye's and hands can achieve, the fit of the bumper was pretty good, a little 5 minute epoxy soon had it permanently fitted in place 

20201018_173405.jpg

Hi Geoff, Your painting of the emblem is fine. The loss of the chrome detail between the red and white colors may be corrected a couple of ways. One way maybe to take a flat style toothpick and see if you can gently remove any paint from the raised trim. I share your issues with a steady hand anymore, but maybe a slight touch of a Molotow pen  could be used on the trim. You have this little '57 looking great. 

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

The emblem looks fine to me.  I've done 3 of them and it definately takes some finessing.  I didn't look back at the thread but how is the hood fit....always an issue on this kit.

So far, so good, I'll find out tomorrow when I get to fit the chrome trim to the front edge of the bonnet, (Sorry,Hood), I've got another one in the stash that I want to turn into a four door, I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to try the conversion myself, I've been after the resin transkit without any luck.

943193-12155-44-pristine.jpg

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I actually had trouble getting the chrome trim to fit right on the bonnet(LOL) on the last one I built  and wound up breaking it. Grrrrr!

I had to drill out the mounting holes on the trim, nothing too major, the worst thing is that AMT put the cut off points on the parts tree on the top of the part, so the part was sanded smooth and covered in Bare Metal foil and then polished, and then fitted to the bonnet using 5 minute clear epoxy.

20201019_124130.jpg

18 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I didn't look back at the thread but how is the hood fit....always an issue on this kit.

I've just done a dry fit, now the front bumper and grille has been fitted,  it's tight, but it fits and looks OK 

I think the grille badge looks fine but if you want to punch up the brightwork details on it, maybe a few passes with a very dry drybrush of chrome silver could pick out the details.

Nice recovery work on the trim piece for the hood (sorry, bonnet) ;) .

As George Bernard Shaw said: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language" :D 

David G.

40 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I had to drill out the mounting holes on the trim, nothing too major, the worst thing is that AMT put the cut off points on the parts tree on the top of the part, so the part was sanded smooth and covered in Bare Metal foil and then polished, and then fitted to the bonnet using 5 minute clear epoxy.

Great to see this one moving forwards.

Always frustrating when those attachment points are on a chrome piece that's going to be visible - why did they choose to do it that way?!

How are you going to do the bonnet badge and 'V' emblem?

41 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Great to see this one moving forwards.

How are you going to do the bonnet badge and 'V' emblem?

The V emblems are supplied on the chrome sprue, but they need to be stripped and done in gold, I'm still thinking on how I'm going to do that, the Chevrolet script is supplied on the photoetched sheet, but still needs painting gold.

IMG_0259-Copy-Copy.jpg

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Always frustrating when those attachment points are on a chrome piece that's going to be visible - why did they choose to do it that way?!

I've had it before on AMT kits, the rear bumper on the 57 Chrysler 300 had the cut off points right on the top, ended up stripping the chrome off and redoing it using K Colors chrome,  the build would have been so much easier if they had just put the cut off points on the bottom of the part.

20201019_144010.jpg

Yeah Geoff, I forgot about that nasty sprue attachment for the hood trim.  I broke mine fooling with it so had to glue it back together and as you did BMF'd it too. Since I had another kit to use I went ahead and used the new one (and of course had to touch up the sprue attachments).  Now building a Street Gasser and using the repaired one on it but I'm thinking about painting it the body color.Hmmm.

Business got in the way of modelling today, although I did get chance to fit the wheel centres, and prepared the rest of the small chrome parts and touched up the cut off points with Molotow liquid chrome, the Chevrolet V's and Chevrolet scripts need airbrushing in gold, I'll be using Mr Color gold paint, the radio aerial didn't look good, so I cut the mast off, drilled the base and inserted a cut down dressmaking pin.

20201021_213054.jpg

20201021_213145.jpg

Edited by GeeBee