Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 Chevy Chevelle SS 396...........My take

MrObsessive

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I've still got to get me a copy of that .

Do it! I just opened it up and read the section on the SOHC Galaxies and discovered that astronaut Gordon Cooper owned a SOHC-powered '66 Galaxie--in Emberglow, no less, one of my very favorite colors! Something else I'll now have to build. (I was already planning to do one in dark green as a phantom, but I might like this idea even more.) :wub:

I’ll add my 2 cents. Got my kit yesterday after it was drop kicked in Philly. It may appear that the real car measured used a non-park wiper motor. The park motor would have placed the wipers lower on the stainless trim. Easy fix is to remove them, smooth out the area and add PE wipers, mounted in the full park position. 

This kit can not be made into a 300, without extensive cowl and hood work.

I have this kit on my desk right now. Those extra wheels are actually Magnum 500 style wheels. Which tells me they do indeed have a ‘69 up their sleeves, as those wheels never showed up on the ‘68s. Right ?

But I stole a set of big n little Cragars from a Camaro kit anyway, so those stock wheels are staying on the tree, where they belong. 

Thanks for the great preview Bill !

Edited by Dan Rosenello

58 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I've seen pics of '68 Chevelles with those wheels, so who knows. 

My guess is they were owner-added later. I've seen a LOT of pics of '65 and '66 Chevies of all kinds with Rally Wheels (which didn't become available till '67), because Chevy didn't offer a really good-looking wheel until the Rallys. (IMHO, of course.) 

28 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

So I am wondering if Revell scanned this rather than using the process of shooting a lot of pictures.  This kit seems to have less of the typical issues with shapes.  Does anyone know if this is the case? 

That's a VERY good question Bob! Or, are they now delving into 3D printing for their tooling? That would be interesting to find out!

15 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I've seen pics of '68 Chevelles with those wheels, so who knows. It is nice they included 2 sets of wheels.   Maybe one of the resin casters will do a set of the '68 SS wheel covers.

s-l640.jpg

Maybe Fireball, he recently did a bunch of 67-69 Chevy Camaro wheelcovers

14 minutes ago, Dave Toups said:

Fireball lists these dog-dish caps and steel wheels for 68-69 Camaros. Would they be good for the Chevelle as well?

Those would work.  Another option is the chromed ones from the recent Revell '69 Nova or '69 Camaro COPO kits. 

Edited by Rob Hall

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I would highly doubt it. The only two things that got 3D scanned were the Foose kits and they were done in California at his shop. Revell US wasn't going to be investing in their own system while the parent company was imploding around them. 

It's obvious that Revell started this long before that.

Well I think it's been long verified that a '69 has been planned from the start.  Whether we actually see that from the new company may be in some question at this point.

The AAR 'Cuda from the '13 tooling, scheduled for upcoming release, might be cause for optimism. :)

I don't know if I'd necessarily preclude scanning because of the Hobbico circumstances - there was marketing language about the '14 Corvette that might have been mistaken for LIDAR being used in its development - but I wouldn't be surprised if things really did play out the way James figures.  What's important is if the model is executed well enough you could confuse it for coming from scans.  Still waiting on mine, but I'm really liking what I see so far.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
clarification

6 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Would love to see a 69' El camino kit come out ?

I wonder what happened to the original AMT '69 Elky molds. I don't think they were ever updated or cartoonized, so  maybe they still exist? But then it's never been reissued....:wacko:

19 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Well I think it's been long verified that a '69 has been planned from the start.  Whether we actually see that from the new company may be in some question at this point.

The AAR 'Cuda from the '13 tooling, scheduled for upcoming release, might be cause for optimism. :)

I don't know if I'd necessarily preclude scanning because of the Hobbico circumstances - there was marketing language about the '14 Corvette that might have been mistaken for LIDAR being used in its development - but I wouldn't be surprised if things really did play out the way James figures.  What's important is if the model is executed well enough you could confuse it for coming from scans.  Still waiting on mine, but I'm really liking what I see so far.

When I was shown the '68 Chevelle SS396 test shot buildup, over a year ago, I asked about a '69 derivative.  There was no acknowledgement of such a plan at the time.  That doesn't mean it wasn't planned,  but....    On the other hand, the configuration of the rear fender caps would certainly suggest it was designed with a '69 derivative as a future possibility.  

As far as scanning, I do not know if the '68 Chevelle tool was the result of a digital scan of a real car, although the results are certainly consistent with that assumption.   I do know that that there was at least one, and probably several other recent Revell kits that were scanned in the development process beyond the two Foose models mentioned earlier in this thread.

Lastly, there are a number of outside companies that offer scanning services to the automotive industry.  Nearly ten years ago I gave a list of three such companies to Revell when I was encouraging them at the time to use one of those scanning services to improve their body proportions for kit topics where factory OEM scan data was not available.  Even then the costs were much lower than many would assume, but I was told that the (much smaller) kit development budgets these days precluded even such a modest expenditure.   One other point, which I neglected to include in my communications to Revell on this subject, was the additional costs to a kit manufacturer of taking the scan data and adapting/processing it to the creation of 1/25th scale kit tools.  

Still, my view at the time, and one that remains today, is that the incremental spend for scanning and data processing would be more than returned via incremental lifetime sales of tools developed with the level of body accuracy enabled by scanning, as well as avoiding the incremental time and spend resulting from reworks of kits not developed with scanning as an enabler.   

Ummm….one more point.....at this time the even more important issue here is the first sentence in Chuck's replay above.  That is, will the new owners even make any investment at all in the Revell lineup targeted at their customer base in North America?   

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd