Model Cars Magazine Forum

organizing parts

There are many ways and really depends on how much you have and what you want to spend on organizing everything. Right now Michael's is running a sale on craft organizers and they can be good for separating and organizing parts like engines, wheels, tires etc. Big Lots has some nice plastic storage boxes that are shoe box sized and are clear so you can see what is inside of them. Shop around and you can find all kinds of storage units and at different prices. Figure out what you have, how you want to store it and what size of container you will need. As a reminder, if you have anything that is not already assembled, save the instructions so you can build it later without trying to figure it out without them!

4 hours ago, suprafastcelica said:

Have very large ziploc bags. Probably like 3 gallon. I have one for each of the following, rims, tires, axles/suspension, interior, body, underhood, glass, chassis. I also have very small bags for complete unbuilt engines and all parts for it plus instructions. 

This is pretty much what I have currently except mine are in sandwich bags. Even after 40 plus years of building, I just don't have that many left over parts. Of course There are some kit boxes that still have their leftover parts on sprues in them, but less than 10 or so. When I need to find something, I dump the contents out in a large plastic storage container and spread things out. Then I can just pour everything back in the bag when I'm done. I'm thinking about going to a wall mounted small parts storage unit when I finish my hobby room with a more detailed sorting system.

I have an organizer drawer intended for screws and other hardware that I put small parts in.This system is best for generic stuff, like random steering wheels, wheel backs, etc.

I have increasingly been storing incomplete kits in ziplock freezer bags--they're transparent and allow kits to be shelved almost like books, up on edge. I put ID tags on the bags and use small ziplock bags (from the dollar store crafts section) to store loose parts like wheels, complete engine sets, etc). This keeps things accessible and allows me to record notes on the contents of each bag.

I tend to keep leftover parts from a kit together, so I don't lose track of them. Part of this is just in case I decide to sell or trade those items later--it helps to know what kit they were from!

I have a few of the storage drawer units (a little bigger than shoeboxes, two drawers, some larger, some smaller), these I use for bigger parts and glue-bomb bodies.  Then I have several of the flat boxes with internal dividers, which I use for wheels, tires, and other small parts.  I am in the process of rebuilding my model work area, so I hope to be able to better organize my "organization" of parts.  Oh yeah, I also have one three drawer roll around cart which I keep WIP's in.

I use several plastic storage cases, with separate compartments. One for wheels and tires, one for engines and parts, and one for suspension parts. Bodies and larger parts, like floor pans and frames go into a large plastic basin with a lid.

Edited by Brutalform