Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Project

2002p51

16 minutes ago, espo said:

I have had this kit for several years and have put off starting it for some unknown reason. I will enjoy watching your build and hopefully gain some additional knowledge about it through your build. 

I built this one many, many years ago when the kit was first on the market.

2v2EKc9DNx2mJNT.jpg

FYI....there are two versions of this kit. The first issue had some issues with fit. The big one was the front suspension. It will build up but is a REAL pain.  That was retooled to fit better after the 2nd issue of the kit. There is not a way to tell which is which unfortunately.  It is a challenging build...but if you take your time it is well worth it. 

I lived in Charlotte when AM was there.....and I built a number of their kits for use in photos and trade shows. I need to build one for myself someday...

FYI ...this kit was designed by Bob Johnson who designed many of the Monogram kits.

AMVETTE.jpg

I filled in the slots on the bottom of the frame with some .047" Evergreen rod. Although I'm not sure it was worth the effort because the chances of anybody ever looking at the bottom of this model are virtually nil.  :)

2v2EKw8igx2mJNT.jpg

Finished assembling the chassis and it is now ready for paint.

2v2EKw8DWx2mJNT.jpg

And so it's on to the engine! 

7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

FYI....there are two versions of this kit. The first issue had some issues with fit. The big one was the front suspension. It will build up but is a REAL pain.  That was retooled to fit better after the 2nd issue of the kit. There is not a way to tell which is which unfortunately.  It is a challenging build...but if you take your time it is well worth it. 

I lived in Charlotte when AM was there.....and I built a number of their kits for use in photos and trade shows. I need to build one for myself someday...

FYI ...this kit was designed by Bob Johnson who designed many of the Monogram kits.

I believe Tom West was also heavily involved in this kit's development, too.

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

I believe Tom West was also heavily involved in this kit's development, too.

I never heard that but could be. I did a fair amount of work for Bob at AM in Charlotte and at the reborn AM II in Concord.  My brother in law was art director and design consultant for AM. If you have a AM B-25 kit....my kids packed it!! :lol:

I don't have any drawings from the GS Vette but do have some from the AM NASCAR Taurus that was made but never sold....that design was all Bob. 

12 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

I don't have any drawings from the GS Vette but do have some from the AM NASCAR Taurus that was made but never sold....that design was all Bob. 

I had heard rumors of an AM NASCAR race car but never knew it was any more than that.  

Wow! That's pretty cool, Dave! Unfortunately, I don't have one of their B-25s. I knew Tom fairly well. I remember him talking about the development of the GS. I am sure he illustrated the instruction sheet(s) for it. Of course, he and Jim Keeler did the Aurora Racing Scenes Kits. Anyway, sorry, Drew, it wasn't my intent to hijack your thread. Looking forward to seeing this come together!

37 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

Anyway, sorry, Drew, it wasn't my intent to hijack your thread. Looking forward to seeing this come together!

That's okay, this is an interesting digression.  :)

And Dave, if you have ever feel the need to share some of those "parts for a few" I'd be happy to PM you my address!  :)

Edited by 2002p51

Ooooooh! Nice to see this one as a WIP! I'm DEFINITELY following along! I have two of these kits actually. One to build as what's shown and another as a donor for a HRM's resin roadster kit. A kit I had won at the NNL East years ago.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have swore someone made a very detailed set for this. The set included turned aluminum trumpets for the carbs, a PE set which included more than what the kit gives you and some other niceties.

Anybody remember that or was I dreaming?

11 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

One to build as what's shown and another as a donor for a HRM's resin roadster kit.

I have two old "Cheez Cast" resin kits one for the 1963 prototype, the other for the roadster. I only have one more donor kit so I would have a decision to make. Of course, there are no decals for either of them so that would be a problem.  :)

2v2EKmu5jx2mJNT.jpg

On 1/30/2019 at 7:33 AM, MrObsessive said:

Ooooooh! Nice to see this one as a WIP! I'm DEFINITELY following along! I have two of these kits actually. One to build as what's shown and another as a donor for a HRM's resin roadster kit. A kit I had won at the NNL East years ago.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have swore someone made a very detailed set for this. The set included turned aluminum trumpets for the carbs, a PE set which included more than what the kit gives you and some other niceties.

MCG did a multimedia set for it. Contained nice photoetch, and I believe a resin cooler for the rear fender? I still have it floating around here somewhere

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:33 PM, MrObsessive said:

Bill,  ModelcarGarage had a P/E  for it: https://www.modelcargarage.com/eshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=181&idcategory=0. I'm thinking it was Historic Racing Miniatures that might've had what you're talking about.

Edited by Adhsdad

2 hours ago, Adhsdad said:

Bill,  ModelcarGarage had a P/E  for it: https://www.modelcargarage.com/eshop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=181&idcategory=0. I'm thinking it was Historic Racing Miniatures that might've had what you're talking about.

Yeah, I've seen that one around, but this set was more comprehensive than that. I don't think it was HRM..........in fact to show how long ago this was, I remember seeing it advertised in SA(E). So this was before my computer and internet days.

It did include a PE set, but not as much as what MCG is offering. I distinctly remember the turned aluminum carb trumpets. That caught my eye immediately, but unfortunately I never bought it.