Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

On 9/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, Gramps46 said:

The JADA Anglia arrived today and I was duped.  Though all the vendors on eBay listed it as 1/24th scale,  it measures out to be 1/20th scale.  Nowhere on the box is the scale listed so I can't complain too much.

We watched this again over the weekend and yep, there it is.  

20 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

Never thought I would get one for less then 100 dollars,mint ones with box and paperwork usually go for over 200 but I got this one for 64 dollars.

Excellent deal!  I have one.  My all time favorite car.  And mine was a little more than twice that.  Under$100 is pretty much a score!

Yeah, if you're into diecasts, ebay is addicting.  Especially once you start collecting Mint cars.   I wasn't able to afford and turned my nose up at such diecasts when they were new.   But now?   If I can find a bargain, it's too easy.   I'm studying on a Corvette now - and I really don't collect Corvettes.  but price is right and it's a nice model.  Danbury mint for about same price as a plastic kit?  Heck yeah.  

On 10/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, junkyardjeff said:

I think they lost all the tooling for everything some how.

I believe both Danbury and Franklin Mint worked with the same factory / provider in China.  A few other brands did so too.  That factory closed down, bankruptcy or taken over by the government-- take your pick.  It seems this happened a few years ago, around the time when diecast cars were losing their luster.  So neither Franklin or Danbury chose to start over, and ended their series.  

I'm surprised that the Chinese haven't used that tooling to send us cheap repops by now!  

I wonder sometimes, if the Welly/Motormax cars are clones of the basic Mint toolings.    I have a 50 Chevy that looks like it could have been based on the Mint version, with everything made into minimal pieces instead of individual parts.  Maybe made from an assembled version?  I don't know.   

Edited by randyc

A few were, but mostly in China.  I'm sure someone knows more than me and can tell which ones and history.  Maybe earlier cars?  Idk.  And I don't think the owners of Mints could go after their tooling.  It belongs to China once it's there?  Something like that.   Might be a problem for the kit makers someday.   If any country can ever make for better pricing.  This might be a good question for George Bojaciuk, who worked at FM I think it was.  

My understanding was the Mint models were cast in China until the government there seized the factory(s) for non payment of taxes.  The factory assets were sold off, including the molds, for scrap regardless of who owned them.

This quote is from 2013:

The story is that the Chinese producer for Danbury went bankrupt and was seized by the Chinese government who confiscated ALL of the current and future fixtures and dies for all of their diecast in production and future models. Several of the promised models (like a 1953 Ford 2 door hardtop) have been officially cancelled by Danbury. It is uncertain whether or not the dies have been destroyed, but DM claims not to have them. One can hope that DM does have the original specs and drawings. The diecast business is lucrative UNTIL you have a set back like this...having said that, the 1:24 market has been shrinking more than the larger and smaller scales. Danbury has been busy selling everything out of their warehouse and it is unknown whether or not they can find a new fabricator and then start all over from scratch producing new models - the old ones are probably a done deal. At this point, the future of DM diecast models is in question, but there is no credible evidence (from what I know) that they are at this time out of the diecast business.

Edited by Gramps46

Walmart had some good ones today. M2 '70 Boss 302 Mustang in Grabber Blue (pass--I already have other B302s in red, yellow, and Grabber Green). M2 '70 Challenger RT in white (pass--I'm very happy with my Welly '70 T/A). JADA '70 Chevelle in blue--very tempting, as it didn't look oversized and even the wheels weren't awful, just over sized Mag 500s, but I passed because I just rescued a Franklin Mint one in blue. And '69 Dodge Charger Daytona in orange (#71). This one looked good and not oversized; it might even be 1/25. I got it and hope to lay some Snake-Fu on it very soon. Doesn't look like it will take much so it goes to the top of the list. B)

These are the last of the modern BBurago and the Maisto Assembly Line 1/24 diecasts that I plan to add to my Ferrari collection.

20191021_145652.jpg.5d270468764de4ee30f80f2c58542ab1.jpg 

Left  to right:  California T,  488 Pista, and FXX-K.

20191027_114722.jpg.4c1224e0faa1787a5352ce53538cead8.jpg20191027_114753.jpg.ef8a4a8bf99a365e0668fe2234623192.jpg

Sorry Snake, close but no cigar on the 488 Pista with the calendar 459 Spider Scuderia.

20191027_115655.jpg.2a61c634e96025984e46740f6e19898d.jpg

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Sorry Snake, close but no cigar on the 488 Pista with the calendar 459 Spider Scuderia.

20191027_115655.jpg.2a61c634e96025984e46740f6e19898d.jpg

If I had that model and that calendar, and didn't have anything better to use that month, I'd roll with it. B)

I bought a Ferrari diecast kit at Hobby Lobby last year but I forget what it is--might be the same one you have above. I'll have to dig it out and slap it together one of these days. 

Sory to say, but there is no such thing as a Ferrari 459 Spider Scuderia. 
There is a 430 Scuderia

There is a Scuderia 16M (the Spider version of the 430 Scud)

There is a 458 Speciale and then the open top would be Speciale A (for Apperta=open). 
the car on the picture is just a 458 Spider with a stripe. 
  Maisto purchased Bburago and the Ferrari contract with them. So they are the same thing packaged differently for different markets. Some of their 1:24 offerings are an outstanding value.