Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Impala lowrider

geetee66

15 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Another paint masterpiece in the works.

10 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Awesome paint job!

6 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Just a fantastic paint job, and awesome step by step. Thanks.

2 hours ago, espo said:

I'm just blown away with this paint work. 

☺️ Thanks chaps 

I'm itching to get the clearcoat on and polish it up. I think the colours will look much better, then.

I'll set the body aside for a few days and get on with the rest of it. I bought a bottle of Molotow chrome paint, which I intend to airbrush onto the engine, suspension and rear axle. I'll have to be careful how I handle the parts, as the chrome can show up fingerprints. I'll do extensive test fittings, so the chromed parts just drop into place, during final assembly  ? 

• 4 weeks later...

This has really been an amazing paint process.  The masking skills needed to do what you have accomplished are off the charts.  I have just not been able to master masking.  You make it look so easy in this tutorial, but I imagine each step takes a large amount of time.  I am curious how much total time have you accumulated to date in order to complete the masking and painting process?

looking forward to seeing more of this build...thanks for sharing it with us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2019 at 1:45 PM, Slimguy said:

This has really been an amazing paint process.  The masking skills needed to do what you have accomplished are off the charts.  I have just not been able to master masking.  You make it look so easy in this tutorial, but I imagine each step takes a large amount of time.  I am curious how much total time have you accumulated to date in order to complete the masking and painting process?

looking forward to seeing more of this build...thanks for sharing it with us.

It's difficult to accurately account for time spent on this. I do a little bit whenever I can. But the fingerprint pattern, for example, took a day. I needed frequent breaks!

thanks for the kind words and interest, guys. I'm glad you like watching the progress of this build.

I finished the running gear and chassis this weekend. Molotow chrome used extensively!

IMG_3283.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

IMG_3285.JPG

56 minutes ago, Rider said:

Wicked, gota love the Motolow chrome. Man the hours you have in the planning alone not to mention masking/painting re masking is out standing. 

Looking forward to the next update. 

I second that, watching for more.

5 hours ago, NothingAsFineAsaW9 said:

This is his Sic. 

Love the looks of it. 

On the Molotow did you airbrush it and if so what pressure and was it thinned. 

Thanks, got the floor carpeted and the door handles on the interior last night. I'll post pics later when I get home from work.

No need to thin it. Shot it at about 12psi over a gloss black base, although I forgot to paint some small parts black, so shot the chrome paint over bare styrene. The results were very similar.

On 18/04/2019 at 4:16 PM, espo said:

I agree on the carpeting. Can you share what brand or type of tape you used, I would like to try that myself. 

Sorry but I don't know the brand. Nothing printed on the cardboard ring to give me a clue. I've had it for literally decades! But it's still very sticky.

I also use this tape to mount small parts on wooden lolly sticks to paint them.