Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Trailer project confirmed ...and 1965/66 F100 variants shown

tim boyd

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Going to be a little 'picky' with the utility bed. If you look close at the lower corner of the utility body the door has no lower side of the cabinet,  I appreciate the fact that the hobby is getting new stuff but hopefully this can be fixed before production.

2v2EtzHPNxwhifW.jpg

greg

To quote a well-known 1/1 scale automotive commentator, "notgonnahappen.com".  Or at the least, notgonnahappenhow. 

To further quote an excellent modeler at the show last Sunday, whose feedback also often appears in said commentator's website feedback section, "Be a Modeler".  I.E., if it bothers you, fix it yourself. 

That sounds a little harsh in the written word, but it was funny at the time.  You gotta trust me on that.  :)

Seriously though, this would be about the most simple fix one could imagine.  One square piece of .040" sheet styrene on each side would block the opening.   

Still, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Moebius fix this on subsequent production runs of the kit.  So for that reason alone, thanks for noting it!  

TIM 

I know when I first saw the problem, in my mind that little voice said that's an easy fix, I am not knocking the kit but just wanted it to be noticed and maybe it could be fixed before release, Do we know what the release date is?

looking forward to many builds off this kit

2v2EtzzUMxwhifW.jpg

greg

4 hours ago, Dave Toups said:

I know it wouldn't be a big seller, but this would be really cool

image.png.2d5088639fd401373ca043c42ed43c00.png

I'm sure there are hundreds of custom truck bodies that 1960's Ford pick ups could be had with.    That ice cream truck doesn't look too difficult to custom build.  

55 minutes ago, Jim B said:

No, I don't.  It was just a curiosity question.

The idea behind an aluminum trailer verses steel construction is the tare weight.  Aluminum, being lighter than steel, more of the gross weight is dedicated to the payload.  An unladen aluminum trailer weighs less than a steel trailer.  An aluminum trailer is robust enough to handle legal loads.  Depending on the number of axles, I have seen 4 and 5 axle aluminum trailers with gross weights of 125,000 lbs.  A tandem spread axle is 80,000 lbs. 

Edited by chuckyr

17 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

I know when I first saw the problem, in my mind that little voice said that's an easy fix, I am not knocking the kit but just wanted it to be noticed and maybe it could be fixed before release, Do we know what the release date is?

According to Tom Carter from Spotlight Hobbies these kits are "on the water" over from China, so we are supposed to see them in May

On 4/2/2019 at 4:31 PM, chuckyr said:

giphy.gif

I’m not sure why my post warranted such a response. If you believe this isn’t possible, consider the skill and talent of our current truck aftermarket producers and the interest of our truck builders.

However, considering the material we’d need for the covering, resin might not be the best answer anyway, except for the framework, front cap, etc. I’m also aware that a functioning curtain isn’t possible either, and Italeri makes a European curtain side too, but it’s not much help to the North American builders.

Auslowe has made curtainside trailers, so there is already an aftermarket presence, though an Australian design.

Regardless, a few guys have scratchbuilt a curtainside. The upcoming Moebius kit is a great starting point for such a project, making a bunch of the work easier. I’m willing to scratchbuild, but I always have faith in the aftermarket. 

Jim B. Your question hits home, that is my business. Gross Wt for Tractor, Trailer and Freight is 80,000 lbs. With the aluminum trailer my trucks Max out at about 45,000 lbs of freight. We scale the truck when there are questions about actual total Wt. No Two loads are the same, and depending on Tractor Type, Wts do change. Even scaling with half empty fuel tanks can gain you 500 lbs of cargo wt.(diesel is heavy, and not filling a pair of 100 gallon tanks does help) The big OTR (Over-The-Road) Kenworths and Petes are heavy trucks and Freightliners and Volvos tend to be lighter. Cheaper too, but they have more maintenance issues (at least in our fleet). I have seen a couple big Kenworth Tractors with the big "Apartment Style" sleepers that grossed over 50,000 lbs by themselves. The folks who own them tend to do "Custom Hauling" of High Value, Low Weight Freight'

HTH. Alan

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, tim boyd said:

To quote a well-known 1/1 scale automotive commentator, "notgonnahappen.com".  Or at the least, notgonnahappenhow. 

Do you know Pete Delorenzo personally? Autoextremist is weekly reading for me.

20 hours ago, vincen47 said:

I’m not sure why my post warranted such a response. If you believe this isn’t possible, consider the skill and talent of our current truck aftermarket producers and the interest of our truck builders.

However, considering the material we’d need for the covering, resin might not be the best answer anyway, except for the framework, front cap, etc. I’m also aware that a functioning curtain isn’t possible either, and Italeri makes a European curtain side too, but it’s not much help to the North American builders.

Auslowe has made curtainside trailers, so there is already an aftermarket presence, though an Australian design.

Regardless, a few guys have scratchbuilt a curtainside. The upcoming Moebius kit is a great starting point for such a project, making a bunch of the work easier. I’m willing to scratchbuild, but I always have faith in the aftermarket. 

3885034_orig.jpg

3 hours ago, wku88 said:

Do you know Pete Delorenzo personally? Autoextremist is weekly reading for me.

No I don't, although I have read his blog for probably 15 years now.  Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't, but he is generally more tuned into the reality of the auto industry than many so called "authorities".  

I did know Matt DeLorenzo, formerly of AutoWeek and then Road and Track.   He was one of the very best car journalists I interacted with during my years with Ford SVT and Ford Design.   IIRC, Peter and Matt are brothers.  

TIM  

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:33 PM, vincen47 said:

I think it could be done using the new flat bed as a base!!! Paper hand towels from a dispenser at work or a restaurant or where ever could be used as the curtain portion. Dye or paint to color desired and there you go...

47 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

I think it could be done using the new flat bed as a base!!! Paper hand towels from a dispenser at work or a restaurant or where ever could be used as the curtain portion. Dye or paint to color desired and there you go...

Solartex film.

panelco.jpg

Just to add more ideas for a curtainside..

Jamie at moluminum sells the buckles produced by ctm..just add some skill for the curtain and ya have one..

http://moluminum-com.3dcartstores.com/Photo-Etch-Curtain-side-Straps-and-Buckles_p_98.html

That's how the aftermarket helps us model builders...the armor guys have thrived for years now we are starting to see parts available thankfully 

2 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Just to add more ideas for a curtainside..

Jamie at moluminum sells the buckles produced by ctm..just add some skill for the curtain and ya have one..

http://moluminum-com.3dcartstores.com/Photo-Etch-Curtain-side-Straps-and-Buckles_p_98.html

That's how the aftermarket helps us model builders...the armor guys have thrived for years now we are starting to see parts available thankfully 

Kit Form Services  of Great Britain also has a photo etch Curtain Side buckle kit (PE87). 

https://www.kitformservices.com/photoetch.html

BUCKLES2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...