Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Bel Air

jjsipes

So nice out here in Maryland the past few days, thought I would get the airbrush out and spray some Dusk Pearl from Scale Finishes. Need to let dry and clear it. Have the top painted white. Interior will be Black and Silver. Not sure if I want to use stock wheel cover or go with a custom wheel.

20190411_124710.jpg

20190411_124719.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I had to start over. When I cleared my Bel Air, the trunk and hood looked flawless, the passenger side didn't look to bad but then the driver side wrinkled all up. I guess I got to heavy with my clear and it reacted badly. So I stripped her done to bare plastic and have started the painting process again.

20190416_125819.jpg

20190416_125824.jpg

2 hours ago, jjsipes said:

So I had to start over. When I cleared my Bel Air, the trunk and hood looked flawless, the passenger side didn't look to bad but then the driver side wrinkled all up. I guess I got to heavy with my clear and it reacted badly. So I stripped her done to bare plastic and have started the painting process again.

20190416_125819.jpg

20190416_125824.jpg

i hate when that happens..  we've all been there before.

4 hours ago, jjsipes said:

20190416_125819.jpg

20190416_125824.jpg

I am sorry that happened- what clear did you use?

5 hours ago, gman said:

I am sorry that happened- what clear did you use?

I used Tamiya TS13 Clear like I have been but I have since and recieved Scale Finishes Clear to use with the paint so hoping that this doesn't happen again.

8 hours ago, gman said:

Did you use the Scale Finishes lacquer, or their gloss enamel base coat?

I used their enamel base coat. I know it's a compatibility issue between them but, this is the way I've been doing them but, wasn't lucky this time.

• 1 month later...

Looks great..... now.         I which I had a nickle for every time one of my clear coat applications when bad for me like yours did.  It happens all to many times.  You would think we (I) have learned to go very easy on the first coats of clear.  Love the color choice, looks really good.