Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Missing Corvette

There already is an '83 Corvette, its in the museum. At one point he showed some of Palmers  early sketches for the proposed C-4 why didn't he build this and why didn't he interview Palmer. In my opiniom he just wanted to do a car makeover show so slapped a split window cap on the hatchback, changed the fender gill, put on a set of aftermarket wheels, mildly modified the fender lines. He even went retro with the instrument panel when one of the key features of the new C4 was to be the digital one.  Like a moth to a flame I was drawn to the show but was very disappointed.

I watched it . I saw the Car all through the entire Process . I am a retentive Factory Stock Model Car Builder . I appreciate the planning and work to see customs come to fruition  . I admire customs . I also know reality . If it gets crashed , It will be repaired to the Original State of Manufacture .  A Blue '85 Corvette . Even if just the front clip (doghouse needs an R&R) . Note here ; My Uncle's Ford Fairmont painted Earl Schieb Gray . It was crashed and the Doghouse replaced . It was painted the Original FoMoCo Silver , the dog house only . Totaled out , a '85 Corvette's replacement value only . This explains why Customs vanished in the '60's . Only displayed in Show Car Circuits . Not on the Streets as it is a painful experience to see your Art destroyed and fgiven a penny for your efforts . TY Insurance Companies . My Opinion it is is it is an interpretation of something that did not materialize .  Well done and thought provoking as it was meant to be .. Thanx 

On 7/16/2019 at 11:15 AM, sfhess said:

What show was this?  The one where the two guys stand across a table from each other droning on and speculating about various automotive "mysteries"?

No, it is not "Auto Biography" from MotorTrend TV (which I happen to find a very interesting show in my opinion), it was a show that was part of History Channel's "Car Week" that was titled the same as this thread. 

The tacked on split window shows how people can venerate something without having a clue why. 

What was great about the C2 Stingray had nothing to do with the split window.  As we've seen, people at the time thought they couldn't get rid of it fast enough.  The C2 was a stunningly radical design, that looked nothing like the previous design, or like any other sports car on earth, for that matter.   It incorporated 1930s styling cues in a look that was right out of the future.   Tradition?  It took tradition, wadded it into a ball, tossed it into the wastebasket,, and then set fire to it.

Apparently, all of this is invisible now, and all people can see is that split window.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

8 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

What was great about the C2 Stingray had nothing to do with the split window.

This is absolutely correct.  The '63 Stingray was from another planet stylewise and set the design world on its ear.