Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maverick Pro Stock/Match Racer


Codi

Recommended Posts

What an accomplishment, Tim!

It inevitably takes time to produce this kind of result and you didn't take any shortcuts, the pictures are proof of that.

No matter how many hours you spend on this beauty, they are fully rewarded, at the very least, it puts a big smile on the face of extreme detail lovers!   I don't know why but I have a big smile on my face right now...! 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

What an accomplishment, Tim!

It inevitably takes time to produce this kind of result and you didn't take any shortcuts, the pictures are proof of that.

No matter how many hours you spend on this beauty, they are fully rewarded, at the very least, it puts a big smile on the face of extreme detail lovers!   I don't know why but I have a big smile on my face right now...! 😊

You are so right about the smiles, Francis! There is just something special about this engine that I can't put my finger on, but, it's there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, with the engine out of the way and on it's new stand (wink-wink Claude) I'm moving onto the body. But first...........

Claude, I admit, the block off plates were the "lazy" albeit creative way of not having to make headers for it........remember, this is my "supposed" quick build.

Chris Smith - Yes sir, long journey so far but still moving forward with her..........btw, your Ferrari is looking sweet! 

Daniel - I do admit there's a ton of effort in this build so far.........appreciate the acknowledgements & compliments.

Francis - Well.......trust me I'll be spending some time looking at your truck again and what's possible in machining plastic.  btw, what type end mill & speeds do you typically use when machining plastic?  I know it'll melt at the blink of an eye......you need to try out the renshape material too........you'll love that stuff!  

Onto the bodywork - This pic is what I'm starting with from Johan .........I know it's a Dyno Don Mav but I don't like the scoop on this build at all.  To be fair, my car is a few years down the road as Pro Stock developments go...........

DSC 0005

I found a great article with "Things to Come" as they applied to early 70's Pro Stock development.  This pic gives an idea of where I'm going with this car --

DSC 0001 (9)

back to the hood scoop.........this one on the "Super Shaker" Colt caught my eye and would work well with the big boss 494

DSC 0003 (6)

What I've learned so far...........after messing around with making a wood buck and trying my hand at forming a brass scoop, I gave in and accepted that I'll NEVER be a Randy D. panel beater............some of my failed experiments

DSC 0013 (2)

So what do I do (he said to himself) well of course........machine it........well.......try to.  This is one I did that has some mistakes on it but it did prove out that I could do it and that it will give me a good facsimile to the real one.  The resin base is from the parts bin of some piece I bought a few years ago.........the base will be metal as well, the whole scoop will be made in 2 parts.

DSC 0009 (2)

the next several pics are just mock-up pics that will benefit me as I make copies of them and pencil and pen them to get the final look I want.  I have a couple tools (long reach end mill and drill bits) coming to make the scoop.  I have not had a tool break on me in a LONG time and I snapped 2 dremel drill bits while machining this piece........I was quite surprised to say the least.  This profile pic gives a good idea but I will extend the base of the scoop by about 3 or 4mm.......remember, it's a boss 494 underhood.

DSC 0006 (5)

DSC 0010 (3)

DSC 0007 (4)

Lastly, I gathered up the CompResins Maverick body I bought from them 2 years ago and the 2 recent Mav Promo models I purchased in July as well.  The resin hoodscoop at the bottom of this pic is a Futurattraction piece (well done btw) and of course the primer gray scoop that came with the car.  All the bodies and bits are to help me "speed" (funny huh?)  along with the bodywork.  I can over cut doors, fenders & the trunk and then mix and match the bits for tight fits.  Since I don't build many cars I figured I could spend the budget on these to help me out to get her done.    Cheers to Everyone!!!    tim

DSC 0015 (2)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2022 at 2:22 PM, Codi said:

Francis - Well.......trust me I'll be spending some time looking at your truck again and what's possible in machining plastic.  btw, what type end mill & speeds do you typically use when machining plastic?  I know it'll melt at the blink of an eye......you need to try out the renshape material too........you'll love that stuff!  

Well Tim, as you know all too well, everything is trial and error but extreme caution is the key... !   Since I only work with aluminum and brass (and styrene...), I only have 2-flute cutters, maybe a few 3-flute ones, so I used what I mostly had on hand, the 2-flute ones.   As you mentioned, plastic melts in the blink of an eye, so I make thin cuts at a time at a fairly low speed, holding the vacuum hose close to the cutter while cutting, it helps reduce the heat from the air speed it produces.

By the way, I love your new scoop, it fits the body perfectly !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tim, I'm speechless again. Your progress.......

It was great seeing you back in June and your selfless attitude is much appreciated with the advice and things you share.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim!

Great progress, bravo! 

To your point about "surgery" to take parts from your 3 donor bodies... This is a great technique, but beware: some of those promos (like the yellow one) are often made of a plastic that is not really styrene as we have come to love it. It is much more easy to break or snap, and it is hard to glue back. Must have to do with the type of plastic. It needed to be more glossy for the promos, and it affects its basic properties. 

I'm certain you'll circumvent those hurdles! Just go gently with the doors, window frames...

CT 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

The motor is simply amazing, and as much as I should know better by now, I'm still speechless. Can't wait to see the rest of it come together. My only wish is that you could finish it sooner than your estimated timeline and get over to the GSL so we can gawk at this in person!

Art

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, Codi said:

Well, with the engine out of the way and on it's new stand (wink-wink Claude) I'm moving onto the body. But first...........

Claude, I admit, the block off plates were the "lazy" albeit creative way of not having to make headers for it........remember, this is my "supposed" quick build.

Chris Smith - Yes sir, long journey so far but still moving forward with her..........btw, your Ferrari is looking sweet! 

Daniel - I do admit there's a ton of effort in this build so far.........appreciate the acknowledgements & compliments.

Francis - Well.......trust me I'll be spending some time looking at your truck again and what's possible in machining plastic.  btw, what type end mill & speeds do you typically use when machining plastic?  I know it'll melt at the blink of an eye......you need to try out the renshape material too........you'll love that stuff!  

Onto the bodywork - This pic is what I'm starting with from Johan .........I know it's a Dyno Don Mav but I don't like the scoop on this build at all.  To be fair, my car is a few years down the road as Pro Stock developments go...........

DSC 0005

I found a great article with "Things to Come" as they applied to early 70's Pro Stock development.  This pic gives an idea of where I'm going with this car --

DSC 0001 (9)

back to the hood scoop.........this one on the "Super Shaker" Colt caught my eye and would work well with the big boss 494

DSC 0003 (6)

What I've learned so far...........after messing around with making a wood buck and trying my hand at forming a brass scoop, I gave in and accepted that I'll NEVER be a Randy D. panel beater............some of my failed experiments

DSC 0013 (2)

So what do I do (he said to himself) well of course........machine it........well.......try to.  This is one I did that has some mistakes on it but it did prove out that I could do it and that it will give me a good facsimile to the real one.  The resin base is from the parts bin of some piece I bought a few years ago.........the base will be metal as well, the whole scoop will be made in 2 parts.

DSC 0009 (2)

the next several pics are just mock-up pics that will benefit me as I make copies of them and pencil and pen them to get the final look I want.  I have a couple tools (long reach end mill and drill bits) coming to make the scoop.  I have not had a tool break on me in a LONG time and I snapped 2 dremel drill bits while machining this piece........I was quite surprised to say the least.  This profile pic gives a good idea but I will extend the base of the scoop by about 3 or 4mm.......remember, it's a boss 494 underhood.

DSC 0006 (5)

DSC 0010 (3)

DSC 0007 (4)

Lastly, I gathered up the CompResins Maverick body I bought from them 2 years ago and the 2 recent Mav Promo models I purchased in July as well.  The resin hoodscoop at the bottom of this pic is a Futurattraction piece (well done btw) and of course the primer gray scoop that came with the car.  All the bodies and bits are to help me "speed" (funny huh?)  along with the bodywork.  I can over cut doors, fenders & the trunk and then mix and match the bits for tight fits.  Since I don't build many cars I figured I could spend the budget on these to help me out to get her done.    Cheers to Everyone!!!    tim

DSC 0015 (2)

 

The maverick is such a cool car! This is such a great build! Looking fantastic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ian - We most certainly agree.  Hopefully this one turns out as sweet as I envision it.  Time will tell.  cheers

Francis - Thanks for the insights. I tried it quickly with a 2 flute 3/16" end mill at 1000 RPM........turned out perfect.  More experimentation to come I'm sure but it works well.  Now I know why you use it too in your builds.   cheers

Dave (Goatguy) always good to see you too.........June seems so long ago......we'll get together soon! 

Claude - Thanks for the heads-up.  Funny that you mentioned that about the promo kit cars. The bodies DO feel different.  I'll be cautious when cutting em' up as these Maverick kits are getting pricey.  

Art - I appreciate your support Art and I would hope I can be there.  Not sure if I'll bring a car.....certainly won't be the Maverick unless there is a "work in progress" category.   We'll see! 

Bruce - a sincere nod of appreciation too sir.  Hope you follow along and that my progress on it picks up..........

So.........I've been "quiet" on the build as I've been having neck / arthritic issues that have prevented me by and large from moving ahead in a meaningful way.  Short story of it.........numbness and a thousand needles in my hands at night......can't sleep.......can't get comfortable because of the pinching of the neck vertebrae on the nerves themselves.  Seeing my doctor next week and will be getting surgical advice / options as I don't want to live with this anymore.....sadly, in 3 of the 5 types of surgeries I explored on-line, fusing of the spine is part of the deal.  UGH!  I don't want that of course.  So, I do what I can do each day and right now I'm feeling a little better.  Working on the mill or lathe creates "awkward" positions that irritate my neck so I thought I'd explore eventual paint options.  This is NOT a Maverick as you can see and my masking job was quick and it shows.  The good that came out of this little test was that I LOVE Splash Paints.  Their product lays down so beautifully, color options are huge and their shipping and customer service is top notch.  I'll definitely use their paint when it's time to paint the Maverick.  Thanks to John Teresi for sharing a few tips with me that I were most helpful.   The colors I chose are period correct "Ford Factory" colors btw. 

Cheers everyone!  

DSC 0001 (11)

I just sprayed the 2K clear on the car an hour ago and the body was not polished at all........no orange peel either! 

DSC 0002 (8)

DSC 0003 (7)

DSC 0004 (7)

DSC 0005 (6)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tim…..so very sorry to hear about your medical issues …..I feel your pain…..I may have the same thing  ….. I haven’t been to the Dr. yet but, I have the same issues 😢…..I hope and pray for you that you get the best outcome.🙏

but, I got to say, for a test tape and paint job Wow !!!! …..and the colors are Awesome they really pop……I have no dought that your paint job on the Maverick will be great 👍 

Tim I wish you the best on a speedy recovery……hope to hear from you soon.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hi tim ,the paint came out great.cant wait to see it on the maverick.sorry to hear about your back and neck. i will be 68 this week and getting old is not for the weak. good luck , ihope you get it taken care of. one comment on your brass forming attempt. did you anneal the brass first ? makes a huge difference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

looking forward to the "real" one Tim. the test turned out "spankin' good!!!!!  nice colors great period correct design. 

Dude i hope you get fixed up soon!!!! gotta take you for a ride in the street rod now the big motor is in.  Get better Buddy!!!!!!!

 

hope this makes you feel better Tim..... throttle wack just for you!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/david.sherman.98031506/videos/5356118021130939

 

Edited by comp1839
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to say thanks to each and everyone for checking in on the build (it's NOT dead I assure you) and also for the encouraging words & sentiments.  I am seeing a doctor next week for my first evaluation(s).  In the meantime I am doing "light" duty at the bench.   In light of the tragedy unfolding in Florida with the hurricane, it's a quick reminder that I have NO problems and that I am only dealing with "inconveniences".  

Cheers to one and all!  Tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tim, LOVE the test paint job !!! Those colors will look great on the Maverick. I will have to get some of that blue for the Coyote valve covers that you kindly donated for my upcoming Pantera build. You can be sure that we are praying for healing in your neck and back. And, yes, in light of the devastation we see in Florida, we have inconveniences. Don't overdo it Tim.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good wine takes time to mature and there is no need to rush things, your project is an exceptional one and everything will take its place in due time!

By the way, the paint scheme and color choice are absolutely gorgeous like everything else made so far! 👌

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always fun to catch up on your build my friend.   That motor is just spectacular!!!  Love the different shades and tones you achieved thru machining different metals.  You continue to post stuff that I keep coming back to so I can be impressed all over again.

Randy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dave (GoatGuy) -   See you tomorrow Dave!  

JC - Thanks so much!   See below

Franics - Thank you too...........and btw, are you about ready to post your NEWEST build you MUST be working on?  Don't keep us hanging.   cheers

Randy - Always nice to hear from you too Randy.  ANY news posts you might have we'd all certainly welcome them.  Thanks for thinking of me.

So, update on the health stuff..........tests run today say I have carpal (?) tunnel in both hands and nerve damage in my neck between the 5 & 6 vertebrae.  Not sure what all of that means but I'm sure some of its not great.  I see the surgeon for a consultation next week so I can figure out what I can do to fix these things.  Still a speed bump in my opinion but a bit bigger one than I thought.  I'll get this build done I promise and my next post will be of something I actually accomplish on it instead of medical updates.  Cheers to everyone, tim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...