Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Chevy Can Am sbc 3d printed

mad mike

Hello everyone,

another one of my 1/24 quick-shot engine models I do as stand-ins as long as the 1/8 one isn't finished.
As usual, no attention to color, wiring etc, simply made of printed parts with no finish other than an overall thin layer of silver.
It's the beautiful "Flower Power" small block Chevy (can't do Fords all the time, can I) from the McLaren M6A.
A beautiful setup with a Mickey Thompson crossram, Lucas/Hilborn injection, Vertex Magneto and a Hewland gearbox complete with labeling!

If you notice any mistakes I'd be glad if you tell me since the 1/8 version is still in the builds. I need all the input I can get since pics of those engines, especially of the front and underside are really rare.
Again, thanks go to Tony for modeling the sbc I used as starting point!

Thanks for looking!

DSC_0175.JPG

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

Seriously, it is not nice to tease us like this..... you know just about everyone would want one of these and the Ford Big block, and any other currently unavailable engine.    You know we would kill for a circa 1964 highly detailed 426 Hemi with a cross-flow dual quad carb set-up.  By the way, this one is beautiful too.

10 hours ago, Shelby 427 1965 said:

That's incredible. How'd you model it? What were the layer heights?

My mind is blown, the increase of 3D printed stuff from I was last on this forum has increased 10 fold. We're in the future now, boys! B) 

Hello Tomo,

I modeled it in CATIA using photographs. The layer height is 0,025mm and the x/y resolution 0,039mm.

My real-life job has a lot to do with 3d printing and the only thing I regret about my printer is the small build envelope. If you have an industrial grade machine you can make some impressive stuff.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, Peter Lombardo said:

Seriously, it is not nice to tease us like this..... you know just about everyone would want one of these and the Ford Big block, and any other currently unavailable engine.    You know we would kill for a circa 1964 highly detailed 426 Hemi with a cross-flow dual quad carb set-up.  By the way, this one is beautiful too.

Hello Peter,

my main objective is not selling those engines.
I'm mainly building in 1/8 scale, and the only reason I model those engines is to have a 1/8 scale one sitting on my desk.
The 1/24 ones fit well into the small building envelope of my printer, so I'm printing them as a quick shot during the 1/8 build which takes a lot longer.
The problem about selling them is that maybe "about everyone" wants them, but they can't come as cheap as injection-moulding kits.
So the price is high and only few people buy them, which means I have to make a big effort to produce small numbers.
I wish I could be doing this for fun and for all the fellow modelers, but unfortunately I have a real job and little time to spare.
So I hope I can get at least that big block Ford rolling to customers at a reasonable price, we'll see.

About that Hemi - give me some pics with a Hemi setup looking as good as a GT40 engine and maybe I'll fall in love, model it and print it... it takes years to do that though.

5 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

That really is incredible. Is this the car that engine goes to.  Wish I had this when i built it. Thanks for posting.

Hello Rich,

that's the one! Looking good! Would be cool to have the engine as separate model beside it, you don't see to much once it's built in.

4 hours ago, Force said:

Very nice, it looks great.

Is it printed all in one piece or are some parts separate?

Hello Håkan,

due to support issues you have to split it up. Parts list: Block, gearbox w bellhousing, starter, headers 2x, endpipes 2x, intake trumpets 4x, magneto, fuel pump, oil pump, pulleys w belts, balancer.

4 hours ago, mad mike said:

Hello Håkan,

due to support issues you have to split it up. Parts list: Block, gearbox w bellhousing, starter, headers 2x, endpipes 2x, intake trumpets 4x, magneto, fuel pump, oil pump, pulleys w belts, balancer.

Well that's what I thought...great job anyway.

If this is a period engine then it needs some help.

Due to the state of the aftermarket at the time, it's safe to assume they were running blocks and heads cast by Chevrolet division.

Chevrolet-cast SBC heads do not have the angled protrusion that the white hand is pointing at.

Chevrolet-cast SBC heads did not have accessory mounting holes in the ends until mid-1968 for use on the 1969 model year.

Finally, Chevrolet-cast blocks of the period did not have 8 protrusions on the block exterior for the cylinder water jackets.

644211735_McLarenM6.JPG.9e5a03511c41802533c994194cc0f931.JPG

Edited by Slick Shifter