Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any NEW kits ?

4 hours ago, youpey said:

Ok. What's going on with revell 

I dunno, read the 40 some posts in the thread? Try it!

If that's TL:DR, Revell is ok coming back from bankruptcy despite rumor mongering.

Basically same rumors like "Testors paints pulled off market" "Hobby dying" nonsense here for years. LOL. 

Complete lack of evidence for rumor, and hysterical response when presented with real facts. 

8 hours ago, Bucky said:

How do these companies advertise their kits? The only way I see any news is 'word-of-mouth' on the forums, and a video once a month from Round2. I remember back in my youth, ads were placed in comic books, car magazines, and occasionally issues such as Popular Mechanics. One automotive magazine even had a monthly article about scale kits that were out at the time. I just wonder if a little more widespread advertising might help sales in the long run, and generate a little spending cash for the model producers.

Revell has all of the "normal" methods of social media with a Facebook page for both Germany & U.S., along with Twitter, Instagram, et al.  They've also been sending Ed Sexton out on a U.S. Tour this year, I think he's been at more shows in 2019 than he would normally go to in 2-3 years, plus there are still larger shows upcoming in the fall.  Plus I think they've realized that some of the best advertising they can buy is actually free.  You have people such as Tim Boyd, myself and others who are always pushing out new kit announcements here, on social media, and in my case on a weekly show on YouTube.  Then you have guys like Chris who are getting the kits in advance to do build reviews for them as well.  Magazine advertising may actually be cheap enough for the model companies to buy considering how far down the road to doom the magazine industry is as a whole, but I think one of the things that have really cratered hobby magazines in particular is the online world where models can be shown and reviewed (for better or worse and with how much honesty vs. criticism can be argued another time) in almost real time.  YouTube allows instant dissemination of how-tos, build tips, and all of that as well - to me the one downside of how-tos in magazines was always the static photos, blocks of text, and limited space.  It's one thing to say I did X, shaved Y, and then *POOF* Z happened, but SEEING it actually happen in a video is far more instructive (IMHO) than trying to piece together what the author wrote, with what photos the magazine decided to run with the story.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:26 PM, tim boyd said:

There are new projects underway at several of the domestic companies.....when they will be formally announced and then break the light of day I do not know, but from my perspective the interest in pursuing new projects has done a complete 180 vs this time 12-18 months ago.

For the first time in  a long time, I'm pretty encouraged.   TIM ////

I sure hope one of them is a '69 Pontiac Trans Am Tim! I've been wanting someone to do a GOOD kit of that for some time now. I can make one out of the Revell '69 Camaro and MPC one, but you just know as soon as I attempt it, a kit will be announced! :P 

39 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

I sure hope one of them is a '69 Pontiac Trans Am Tim! I've been wanting someone to do a GOOD kit of that for some time now. I can make one out of the Revell '69 Camaro and MPC one, but you just know as soon as I attempt it, a kit will be announced! :P 

Of course, that's exactly how it works,  which means you're the one who's holding it up.

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I dug out a MPC '69 Firebird kit the other night (reissue), figgering I'd just do the "hip surgery" on it, make my other normal body improvement mods, slap a coat of Hugger Orange on it, and toss it on the shelf. After looking at it for about 10 minutes, I decided that the body is even worse than I've thought. I'd also have to reshape the front fender top line and the drip rails. And then all the panel lines (trunk, doors, etc.) are VERY shallow and thus about five times harder to rescribe/deepen than they should be, and all the body scripts and trim are also shallow and probably won't survive paint. Frankly, I don't like the '69 Firebird enough to go through all that, when I have dozens of other projects I really want to do waiting patiently on me. 

Revell needs to give us a '69 Firebird snapper like their '69 Camaro. Give us the body, we'll take it from there. 

17 hours ago, DukeE said:

If that's TL:DR, Revell is ok coming back from bankruptcy despite rumor mongering.

Basically same rumors like "Testors paints pulled off market" "Hobby dying" nonsense here for years. LOL. 

Complete lack of evidence for rumor, and hysterical response when presented with real facts. 

Well, if it's a rumor, maybe you should take it up with the hobby shops? They seem to think it is credible info.
I took this photo myself just about six weeks ago at a well stocked hobby shop in New England.

MODEL SUPPLIES- TESTORS PAINT DISCONTINUED.jpg

On 10/4/2019 at 6:24 PM, Xingu said:

If you are going to post about Revell's demise, please provide proof. Otherwise, please do not stir the pot just to start controversy. 

First, I fail to see how asking a hobby related question is "stir(ring) the pot". 
Second, referring to Revell's demise is indeed a factual recent event. It happened. Fortunately, they were regenerated by the new owners, and are back. And that's a fact.

4 minutes ago, Jon Cole said:

They seem to think it is credible info.

Which begs the question, "Sez who?" Does anyone bother asking these shop owners where they obtained their information? Was it a direct source such as the cousin of the guy who knows the landscaper's girlfriend who talked to the sister of the brother-in-law of a gut truck driver who sold a green bologna sandwich to the kid loading trash into dumptsers at the Rustoleum plant? Jonathan Stephens and I both posted information as to which Testors products will be discontinued; and, automotive paints weren't on the list. Aztek airbrushes, accessories and the Aztek paint line, some Model Master military color lines. That's it.

3 minutes ago, Jon Cole said:

First, I fail to see how asking a hobby related question is "stir(ring) the pot". 
Second, referring to Revell's demise is indeed a factual recent event. It happened. Fortunately, they were regenerated by the new owners, and are back. And that's a fact.

Revell itself didn't get its ticket punched. It was doing well. Hobbico, the parent company bit the dust as a result of financial incompetence. Revell was collateral damage as a result. That's fact.

Incorrect info from a hobby shop worker is SOP.  When I visit a hobby shop out of my area I will often ask a question, I know the answer, of whoever is running the shop that day. I often get wild off the wall answers that are no where near correct.

When Moebius merged with Pegasus I asked a shop in NC if they had the newest Moebius Ford pick up kit. I was told that Moebius went bankrupt and the tooling was scrapped. Nothing would be produced again. I said thanks and left. 

It's best to find the info yourself. 

19 hours ago, DukeE said:

Ok ty. Same stuff that's been said for a year. I thought it was something new. 

Rumours, Fake News and Speculation...……………..Been going on for years about our hobby.

Things generally sort themselves out in the end. There will always be losses and gains, companies going into liquidation etc.

Now when will some one start making all those old Pyro and Gowland Kits?  Will Bandai start making car kits again as well as Gundam?

17 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Rumours, Fake News and Speculation...……………..Been going on for years about our hobby.

Things generally sort themselves out in the end. There will always be losses and gains, companies going into liquidation etc.

Now when will some one start making all those old Pyro and Gowland Kits?  Will Bandai start making car kits again as well as Gundam?

Palmer, baby, Palmer all day. ?

I can't be the only one who's gone to a hobby shop, asked if they had something, been told they didn't only to find it an aisle over.

Here's a link to Rustoleum's Testors page.  It looks like them may have cut back on some colours, but Testor's paint is still available.

https://www.rustoleum.ca/product-catalog/consumer-brands/testors/enamel-paints

2 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

Quite succinct. 

On 10/4/2019 at 9:06 AM, Greg Myers said:

With the demise of Revell USA, is there any hope of seeing any NEW kits being developed? With their very popular '30 Model A  Coupe being a doubtful return much less any further look at other Model A bodies, it really seems like we're done for awhile.

2 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

26 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Quite succinct. 

Very different statement from original, negative, unsupported declaratory post.

"...we're done for awhile." has no bearing on the "succinct" post's "...and are back."

Posts like this seem to fit same old rumor-mongering. Really no benefit from last few pages other than demonstrate the contrary, and too long for people to wade through other than the first post, a page or so. Pretty much only input OP has had is to complain about snarky? responses or try to claim statements unlike the original post. Zero supportive evidence to pages of contrary. 

https://www.idiomeanings.com/stir-the-pot/

Image result for pot stirrer stir the pot meme

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Duke, I can remember those old  Palmer kits. Car kits best forgotten. Did they not do a Gatling Gun and some Artillery? Another company, Hawk comes to mind who made a San Francisco Cable Car kit.

Please don't put Hawk in the same category with Palmer. Hawk did some darn nice kits for their day--and some were state of the art. But they ran out of gas about the mid-'60s, and other makers picked up the ball and advanced the art. 

Some of the Hawk airplane kits are still in production, most of them are still commonly available one way or another, and many of them are still built by airplane modelers. 

4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Duke, I can remember those old  Palmer kits. Car kits best forgotten. Did they not do a Gatling Gun and some Artillery...

Palmer did 5 artillery kits. All reflected the same care and attention to detail as their car kits. That is, they were often not what the box claimed they were, with goofs both major and minor. 

And that legacy continues!  In the 1990's, Squadron re-issued some of the Palmer artillery kits in its "Encore" series.  These were in plain white boxes and labelled "1/24 scale."  They're more like 1/16 scale. So if you had dreams of hitching a cannon behind your 1/24 scale pick-up, it won't work.

Here's a thread at Fine Scale Modeling that discusses the Palmer artillery kits.  

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/69936.aspx