Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2's Vega Pro Stock bodies and Monaco Police Car parts on display at the NNL Nats yesterday...

tim boyd

Concerning the Baldwin-Motion Vegas, unless Round2 makes major changes to make the kits more accurate, all you'd need to do is swap the rear tires. If Round2 keeps the Solar front seats those could be swapped out with a flat panel added to make it look like the rear seat was folded down.

The MPC was far closer to a Baldwin-Motion street car than a tube framed pro stocker.

Either way, I want a couple.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:10 AM, Mark said:

The early grille/bumper will be one piece as seen here.

That's disappointing. I guess no Astre GT variant is planned. Sorry, Canadians, no Bert Straus Chief Chilly Willy for us. ☹️

bs.jpg.e7a0eb729b8b1b65c4fc0514a60c42d2.jpg

On 10/14/2019 at 12:38 PM, Mark said:

Initial plans are to release the early Vega as a Jenkins car.  He had two of that style, the second of which eventually was updated to the '74 style.  His third/final Vega was a '74 from the start.

The '74 will first be issued as Bruce Larson's USA-1.  He had two Vegas, the first was the early style (later updated).  He later acquired another '74 to replace the first car.

No doubt if these go over well, both will be issued as other drivers' cars.

It all comes down to licensing!  

From back when Dave Burket - Model King was seeking drivers licensing, he'd tell stories of humble heirs who were just happy someone remembered and wanted a few kits as souvenirs, all the way to some who thought they had a money machine and were totally unreasonable.  

5 hours ago, Mark said:

There's always the aftermarket...

Agreed, but I doubt many people remember the early Astres, and even fewer would want to buy parts for and build a replica in 1/25 scale. Still, it's disappointing Round2 decided to make the grille and bumper one piece, but maybe that saved some work in other areas had they gone the two-piece route.

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

It all comes down to licensing!  

From back when Dave Burket - Model King was seeking drivers licensing, he'd tell stories of humble heirs who were just happy someone remembered and wanted a few kits as souvenirs, all the way to some who thought they had a money machine and were totally unreasonable.  

Sometimes when the driver is still active, signing autographs at nostalgia events, they'll let the kit be done so they can sell them and pick up a few bucks here and there.

As for the Astre, the Straus car is the only early one (pre-US availability) that I'm aware of.  There were a few later ones built though; one Pontiac magazine had an article on one of them a couple of years ago.  Another Pontiac magazine had an article on the Straus Astre (raced two seasons in two different versions).  I wish I'd bought that issue.

3 hours ago, crazypainter said:

Well i'm sure AMT/MPC still has the molds for their Vega's---- the Twister VEGA had a junk chassis -so if these kits are done right --it will be worth the weight 

They will be the same as the old MPC Pro Stock Vegas. The chassis is a stock kit type with all the stock junk molded on, and the rear cut out for the slicks, and the front opened up to accept an engine. However, by using the chassis from the Dobbertin Olds, or Revell's pro street Beretta, you could build a pretty cool Super Gas car! I started playing with one, back in the '80s, so I know  it can be made to work. As I recall, it was pretty simple to do.

Edited by Straightliner59

11 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

They will be the same as the old MPC Pro Stock Vegas. The chassis is a stock kit type with all the stock junk molded on, and the rear cut out for the slicks, and the front opened up to accept an engine. However, by using the chassis from the Dobbertin Olds, or Revell's pro street Beretta, you could build a pretty cool Super Gas car! I started playing with one, back in the '80s, so I know  it can be made to work. As I recall, it was pretty simple to do.

That's an interesting idea!  TIM

5 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

That's an interesting idea!  TIM

Thank you, Tim! I find an acorn from time-to-time. You, sir, are the guru, when it comes to kitbashing! I've been reading back through a lot of my old magazines, lately. That means I have also been enjoying a ton of your work. Thank you for everything you have done, and continue to do for this hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

The CHP 1978 Dodge Monaco is intriguing.  I might just have to pick one of these up.

Now, it is pretty obvious from the conversations that these Chevrolet Vegas cannot be built stock, but are there any stock Vegas out there?  I've seen a stock Pinto, so I don't see why there couldn't be.

There were stock Vega kits, 1971 through 1977, made when each years' car was current.  No reissues in stock form.  The new bodies will have elongated rear wheel openings and no windshield wiper detail, so don't look for a stock version this time around either.  Check eBay, people will be dumping stock kits once these are out.

32 minutes ago, Mark said:

There were stock Vega kits, 1971 through 1977, made when each years' car was current.  No reissues in stock form.  The new bodies will have elongated rear wheel openings and no windshield wiper detail, so don't look for a stock version this time around either.  Check eBay, people will be dumping stock kits once these are out.

Stock Vega promos, especially those in less than perfect condition, can also go for very affordable prices.