Model Cars Magazine Forum

Posting my Diecasts - Why am I doing it?

Junkman

No, it's not because I'm such a show off. Well, it's a nice side effect, but let's presume I'm not.

It's because I want those glue model makers realise that I put my money where my mouth is for the past decade or four.
Do your maths and you'll realise that I spent the down payment on a house on my collection, of which you haven't seen a fraction yet.
I'm convinced that a lot of you folks did the same.
So why don't you join me, make this section explode and set a signal?

With close to 600 1/18 scale diecast on the shelves, and another 300 or so in storage, not sure I'm going to join you.  ?

But I do appreciate what you are doing, and am well aware of the expense involved.  I think I could have two quite nice real cars sitting in my garage for what I have invested.

I collect racers, so your collection's focus really doesn't appeal to me as a collector, but that's what makes the world go 'round.

I say keep it up, got no issues from me.

Mine are still packed away in boxes due to moving and with the smaller place a number of them may stay that way.

Here's just a sample of what I have with past pics..............

Pc080032-vi.jpg
Pc170899-vi.jpg
Pc142831-vi.jpg
P8173135-vi.jpg
photo4-vi.jpg
P1016206-vi.jpg
P1016223-vi.jpg

I don't mind diecasts if they look correct and they're at a reasonable price. The 1/12 Danbury Mints you see (I have the 1964½ Mustang convertible and '57 Corvette also) can be REALLY EXPEN$IVE but deals can be had if one is willing to look and wait.

And lets face it............there's just some things in diecast that will NEVER be done in plastic so I see them as a great alternative.

Edited by MrObsessive
More pics added with text....hit button too soon.

These are nice!

When I started buying diecasts, and I refused them for quite a while, I also thought they will merely complement the kits I have. That was 20 years ago.
Meanwhile they have really taken over, since there constantly are new releases I'm interested in, whereas there are hardly any new kits that manage to entice me.
I estimate my diecast vs. kit purchases nowadays being 20:1.

Edited by Junkman

The end is near.  I started collecting Wellys at the drug store and expanded to the Mint cars when they were cheap at estate sales and online actions.  I am very fortunate that I now have just about everything that interests me in my modeling scale of 1/24.

Diecast_20191020.jpg.f21777f50ece87674133c248aba65446.jpg

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

lets face it............there's just some things in diecast that will NEVER be done in plastic so I see them as a great alternative.

Per Bill's comment, here's a bunch of diecast I own in 1/24 and 1/25 scale. I mainly buy things that we don't have and probably will never see in plastic kits. Not only is it nice to have these in scale, but they also are good starts for modeling projects.  Some of the parts, like old truck wheels have been resin cast. 

image.png.a198f96ce002292547f220ec1b160a91.png

image.png.dc0a40ecdd86d79ca21f98df56e5d412.png

image.png.41e11deaf878dd0816220002dc258437.png

image.png.68b3f4a6fefc35b4391df677b1e79865.png

MVC-007F

image.png.e2fef931ebe36ccd5b0a91716c0bae72.png

image.png.4b70a52768046f0a951f04836951abe5.png

image.png.63a2b40522497dd82d207fb42ff68d89.png

image.png.576078be886429ded87cf5084c9bddd1.png

image.png.edfad500f2494c6a3fc0a266c690dad2.png

image.png.3e7dddbcd3bd3092048e6576f36f1dce.png

image.png.f69356b949baa7745dc0c31e95fd5ffa.png

image.png.1799c540d9100ee61d5ad7f995f4a289.png 

image.png.9d7614ebfc256bc8a4da5431f87d3eaa.png

image.png

Wow.   This is impressive.  I thought I was using models as a substitute for having a real hot rod or project car.  BUT I think I really like toy cars more than real ones.   We have all probably spent more on models than we could have on a real car or house.  I sold enough old stuff last year to pay for a new riding mower.   Plus some.   But I also spent almost as much on new acquisitions as my collection has changed from "EVERY DANG THING" to US cars of the 30s - early 60s mostly.   And big American cars of most any vintage.  And nice models.   If it has excellent detail, I won't exclude it from the collection.   Wife lets me keep around 200 cars displayed in loving room.  from 1/64 - 1/12 (Tamiya Martini Porsche).  Last week, I changed the display but didn't say anything to see how long it would take the wife to notice.   About a week.  Lol.  

I may be coming to an end of building and collecting in a big manner - the Mints aren't doing anything.   The model companies aren't doing much new or exciting older stuff.  May have to be content with backlog of unbuilts I have and a few new things if anything else comes out, reissue or new.  I have quite a few things left to build though.  And several projects to be addressed.  So not like I'll be out of things to do.  And selling off the old stuff I don't want.  Like most, a model collection gets cumbersome over decades.   Heck I probably have 250 display cases to protect the cars. 

how do you decide what gets displayed and what gets put in "storage" when you get to apoint where you like more cars than you have space for?

I  had a large number of diecast, mostly in 1/18,  but have sold most of them. I experienced a significant amount of paint rash or  deterioration and models actually breaking apart. My models ranged from low line Maisto up to high dollar GMP, Lane, etc. (also mint cars) the problems did not discriminate.  They were stored in a low light, climate controlled, indoor setting.  It did not happen to all of them, but enough to discourage my interest in them. I am still buying plastic models, but I don't build much.....

I had a Classic Metal works 49 Mercury just crumble into pieces.   I saved the wheels and tires.  I also had a 1/18 ertl black 68 Chevelle SS396 that blistered pretty bad, BUT many of them on ebay seem to have the same issue.   Mine was never out of box other than to remove the bands and look at it a couple times.   I have a lot of cars that are showing some paint disturbances.   But heck, any car, real or model, won't stay perfect forever.  

Every new diecast I receive is treated with Black Magic, a real car wax with bad reviews on real cars, but which I find ideal for model cars.
I use it even on the plated bits and windows.

Could it be this what makes my diecasts displaying so little paint rash? That and that I own only very few black cars, which seem to be the most notorious for it?

Not seeing a lot of zinc pest is pure dumb luck I guess, but also I don't own many of the models that are commonly mentioned suffering it.
The only one I have is the Anson Studebaker Golden Hawk, which decided to shed its doors courtesy of the hinges crumbling away.

I've read that waxing can help keep paint rash at bay for a bit.  I have a Mint Desoto that the roof has warped on - not sure if that was abuse by a PO or the metal doing funny things.   But I'm in it really cheap, so no big deal.  I can part it out eventually for more than I have in it.   It seems that almost every car I have has at least a bubble or two in the paint - some are very small and none are so bad that the car is ruined.   The less I like a car, the less rash it will have.   

1 hour ago, randyc said:

I've read that waxing can help keep paint rash at bay for a bit.  

Note that it's not the paint deteriorating, but the metal underneath.  There was something wrong with the zymac (is that the word) metal castings that they deterioriate and in worst case crumble.

The mints stopped doing diecast because the factory they had all contracted with had gone under.  And no doubt the market was down to the point it wasn't worth starting over with a new manufacturer.  I'm surprised that cheap knock offs using the original mint tools aren't popping up.

The market really tanked with the larger scale stuff.  I'm not sure if it was just the cycle of collectibles,  the realization of people that these weren't an "investment", or people just plain running out of room to display them.   I've told the story about the guy who emailed me a long list of 1/18 scale diecast cars from the estate of his father. He thought they were worth a sizable sum, I advised him otherwise.  After a month or so he approached me to buy the lot for $5 a car.  I declined.

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Note that it's not the paint deteriorating, but the metal underneath.  There was something wrong with the zymac (is that the word) metal castings that they deterioriate and in worst case crumble.

Some have only paint reaction. Others have zinc pest. These are two distinctly different defects and I'm well aware of the difference.

2 hours ago, payson said:

I totally agree , Hobbies should be separated from endeavors meant to make money.

I dunno.  I collect and build models.  And part of that hobby is flipping diecasts when I can get a deal on a collection or set of cars.   Helps pay for the hobby.   But you may not mean it like that?  It's part of my hobby, even though I have owned a hobby shop in the past.   That's a big money pit.  Fun, but a good way to lose a lot of money.  LOL  I also know I'm not going to retire on what my collection is worth.  So it's all hobby.  

On 10/22/2019 at 10:04 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I've told the story about the guy who emailed me a long list of 1/18 scale diecast cars from the estate of his father. He thought they were worth a sizable sum, I advised him otherwise.  After a month or so he approached me to buy the lot for $5 a car.  I declined.

I've had a similar experience with a coworker who asked me what his late, father's 200+ unit, collection was worth. He was able to sell some of the rarest on ebay for some money but he's still stuck with 180 odd, toy cars.

Back to the original post.

As far as posting diecasts, I do appreciate the folks that post the scale,1:18 in the thread title of their post. That way I can skip it. That's not to say I have a problem with it. I've no qualms with people posting up their diecasts. I'm just not interested in something store bought. I build models, and I come here to see the models that everyone else has built. I use the Unread Content fuction so I get everything. Being able to filter past the stuff that's not my bag, is helpful.

6 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

As far as posting diecasts, I do appreciate the folks that post the scale,1:18 in the thread title of their post. That way I can skip it. That's not to say I have a problem with it. I've no qualms with people posting up their diecasts. I'm just not interested in something store bought. I build models, and I come here to see the models that everyone else has built. I use the Unread Content fuction so I get everything. Being able to filter past the stuff that's not my bag, is helpful.

Agree with you completely. I'm only interested in 1/24-1/25 and don't bother looking at other scales. I don't think I've ever posted a diecast here that was unmodified--what's the point? I enjoy modifying and detailing and improving my diecasts with "Snake-Fu," and treat them just like plastic models. I'm well over 100 diecasts now but haven't yet Snake-Fu'ed them all. Did a rough count the other day and it looks like I've done about 86 or 87 of them and made them shelfworthy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 11:04 AM, randyc said:

I dunno.  I collect and build models.  And part of that hobby is flipping diecasts when I can get a deal on a collection or set of cars.   Helps pay for the hobby.   But you may not mean it like that?  It's part of my hobby, even though I have owned a hobby shop in the past.   That's a big money pit.  Fun, but a good way to lose a lot of money.  LOL  I also know I'm not going to retire on what my collection is worth.  So it's all hobby.  

I was speaking strictly for me , I can see how “ flipping “ could be part of the fun. I only have about 35 1/43 scale cars , and I can’t imagine parting with any of them . I also buy the inexpensive Kinsmart and Welly cars to try to modify or detail. The beauty of this hobby is there are so many different ways people can do things.