Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-Han '55 Pontiac and Olds parts

I have just the bare bodies for the Jo-Han '55 Pontiac and Olds. 

Does anyone have suggestions as to what chassis, and engines would work on these, and where I might could find some of the exterior parts to build these?

I don't have any chrome, clear parts, or interior, either........just the bodies. And they are very nicely molded, too!

Any help will be appreciated.

(I could be talked out of these bodies, too, BTW.)

I have one of the '55 Pontiacs as well, but no spare parts.

There are no interiors for these as far as I know.

They were originally issued as promos with dark tinted glass and no interior.

I did get a resin interior with mine when I bought it, but it's an absolute mess.

Doubtful that much, or any of it, can be used.

Steve

Wouldn't the chassis out of the '50 Olds kit make a suitable donor for the '56? Also, Chevy and Pontiac chassis' back in those days were quite similar. Here's the underside of a '55 Pontiac I've got on my hard disc...........

1955-pontiac-chieftain-undercarriage.jpg.69532135846341818976f94045914462.jpg

The Pontiac would have been longer so you'd need to do some tweaking there, but I agree with Randy----I'd use the Revell '55 Chevy as good starting point for the Pontiac.

3 hours ago, forthlin said:

I built the '55 Pontiac a few years ago & it came with the interior.

Was it a correct '55 Pontiac interior, or was it a resin or something pieced together?

I've never seen an original interior for the '55 Pontiac promo.

If they actually exist, it might be a very good project for an enterprising resin caster to reproduce them.

There are a lot of guys that have this model with no interior.

Steve 

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Was it a correct '55 Pontiac interior, or was it a resin or something pieced together?

I've never seen an original interior for the '55 Pontiac promo.

If they actually exist, it might be a very good project for an enterprising resin caster to reproduce them.

There are a lot of guys that have this model with no interior.

Steve 

It's the correct interior for the '55 & it looks like it's plastic. I can't say for sure without taking the model apart but from what I can see I'm betting it's plastic. The windows are clear, not tinted. I also had bought the '56 Olds & it came with the interior. 

5 hours ago, Mark said:

I'm 99% certain that the original promos (both Pontiac and Olds) did not have interiors.  The interiors that were sold with some of the kits are resin.

Okey had a partnership with a company called Best Resin, which is not the same company going by that name today.  I believe I have their interior for the '56 Plymouth.   And as said in this thread, not the greatest resin.  Not worth seeking out.

There are an abundance of 55-57 Chevy kits. Each has their pluses and minuses, but try a few and you may find one that fits right.  Then it's a matter of repatterning seats and door panels.  The dashboards may be the biggest challenge.

I have a new one in a box it has clear windows Johan on the label  also says resin interior available separately I also bought a 56 from this time period 2000 to2005 It had no interior I bought it from Accucast  i also bought a56 olds and a 59 rambler and a60 Ford falcon resin model the add was in SAE 1999

7 hours ago, forthlin said:

It's the correct interior for the '55 & it looks like it's plastic. I can't say for sure without taking the model apart but from what I can see I'm betting it's plastic. The windows are clear, not tinted. I also had bought the '56 Olds & it came with the interior. 

A lot of the original promos had clear plastic, but still no interiors that I have ever seen.

The interior supplied with my re-popped kit is pure white, but it is resin.

Steve

3 hours ago, larry ray said:

I have a new one in a box it has clear windows Johan on the label  also says resin interior available separately I also bought a 56 from this time period 2000 to2005 It had no interior I bought it from Accucast  i also bought a56 olds and a 59 rambler and a60 Ford falcon resin model the add was in SAE 1999

Accucast was the resin side of the biz Okey Spalding had / has

I just found another '55 Pontiac 2 door in my stash. This one has a plain, flat plate for a chassis, sort of like the old friction cars had. It has Jo-Han markings on it. There is a clear window piece, but no interior. This kit includes a set of tires, and a few chrome pieces. Hopefully, I can get some pics of what I have and post them tomorrow. I appreciate all the tips and hints about where to find parts for these, so keep those suggestions coming, folks!!

I have the 55 Pontiac..no interior came with it.  Mine is also missing the chromed parts sadly..the AMT 55 Chevy kit can offer the interior and chassis with a little work I did one that way once. The one i have right now missing the chromed parts I plan to make a 55 Safari wagon from if I can find the chromed parts to.  Ill use the AMT 55 Nomad kit for parts .

On 10/31/2019 at 10:24 PM, gtx6970 said:

Accucast was the resin side of the biz Okey Spalding had / has

Saw Okey at the Dayton show, he was selling Olds & Pontiac kits...he said he MAY make some 70 AMX conversion parts for the Johan 69 AMX bodies....

14 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

Saw Okey at the Dayton show, he was selling Olds & Pontiac kits...he said he MAY make some 70 AMX conversion parts for the Johan 69 AMX bodies....

IS there any place online to get one of those kits from Okey?

A very talented builder converted the Jo-Han/X-El '55 Pontiac into a Safari many years ago, in The Other Magazine. IIRC, he also converted a '56 Olds 4-door into a wagon.  He used the roof and interior from the AMT '55 Nomad.

I have 4 of the old X-El Promo Kits: '56 Pontiac 2-door, '56 Pontiac Star Chief 4-door, '56 DeSoto 4-door and '56 Olds Holiday 4-door.  All of those have green tinted glass and no interiors. One Pontiac is in an X-El box stamped "2-dr," but the body inside is a 4-dr. 

On 10/31/2019 at 10:17 AM, MrObsessive said:

Wouldn't the chassis out of the '50 Olds kit make a suitable donor for the '56? Also, Chevy and Pontiac chassis' back in those days were quite similar. Here's the underside of a '55 Pontiac I've got on my hard disc...........

1955-pontiac-chieftain-undercarriage.jpg.69532135846341818976f94045914462.jpg

The Pontiac would have been longer so you'd need to do some tweaking there, but I agree with Randy----I'd use the Revell '55 Chevy as good starting point for the Pontiac.

55 Pontiac frame

1103347447_PONTIAC19551964FRAME.jpg.81da216fb60a0dcfb467833ef5c1816d.jpg

55 Chevy

1646875687_CHEVY1955FRAME.thumb.jpg.a785b67d356515cb9a9a595b3257e4ec.jpg

21 hours ago, Mike999 said:

A very talented builder converted the Jo-Han/X-El '55 Pontiac into a Safari many years ago, in The Other Magazine. IIRC, he also converted a '56 Olds 4-door into a wagon.  He used the roof and interior from the AMT '55 Nomad.

I have 4 of the old X-El Promo Kits: '56 Pontiac 2-door, '56 Pontiac Star Chief 4-door, '56 DeSoto 4-door and '56 Olds Holiday 4-door.  All of those have green tinted glass and no interiors. One Pontiac is in an X-El box stamped "2-dr," but the body inside is a 4-dr. 

the builder is likely Vern Heizer from Dayton, his flamed 56 Olds wagon was at the show in Dayton & the 40th at Toledo...