Model Cars Magazine Forum

Coming out of the closet

I just noticed that I have been lurking on here for almost 5 years so I think it's time to come out of the closet and admit I'm hooked on styrene. I'm a 79 year old ,looking for something to keep my mind active as I get older and since I can't afford to do the real 1/1 stuff anymore I thought I would give this a shot. I've always played with cars and motorcycles most of my life and find it's a lot cheaper to put a plastic V8 into a VW then it is in real life.so even if I screw it up I'm only out $20 but look at all the spare parts I have for my junk yard. I have hesitated from posting on here because I am in the learning process and don't have much to add. I don't spend a lot of time  playing with my hobby , maybe a couple of hours a week  because I am still pretty active with other projects that I have going on. I have a nice full size garage 30x30 heated and air conditioned but it's kind of expensive to keep warm in the winter so I partitioned off a little 8x10 room,put in a little space heater an that is my little get away from it all room. It didn,t take long to fill it with all the tools. glues.gadgets and models now all I need is the confidence to get something done. Well I think this is enough for now so since I,ve got my feet wet you can find out more about me when I post on Model building and answers about losing interest.Thanks for reading.  Countrypapa

10 minutes ago, countrypapa said:

I just noticed that I have been lurking on here for almost 5 years so I think it's time to come out of the closet and admit I'm hooked on styrene. 

Welcome aboard, Bill. It's never too late to start building, and most of the thing you know and have experienced in the 1:1 scale vehicles will translate to scale models as well. You probably already have a keen eye for which parts and kits in general are accurate and true to their 1:1 counterparts, so I'm sure you already have plenty of knowledge to share here.

Welcome.  They are lots of people here of various ages and experience levels.  You should get at least three things from viewing posts you are interested in.  Things you did not know, suggestions you may have to others, and the satisfaction of knowing many of our have been out of the closet for years because there was no room left because of all the models.  Build for yourself and enjoy a hobby which many of us have enjoyed since the 50's, 60's 70' and so on.

Welcome to the forums, Bill. This is a great hobby, and the beautiful part of it is, that you don't have to please anyone but yourself. I build all kinds of stuff, and sometimes spend LOTS of time at the bench, and then go a couple months with no time at all spent. My builds are only to please myself. I like sharing my builds and experiences and ideas with others, but at the end of the day, only one person has to be happy with my efforts................me. Enjoy the forums, and the superb company found here!