Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chevy--Day 2 Add Ons

Just reading the Day 2 rules, and going off on a tangent. I'm starting this thread because I don't want to interfere with that one.

So, 1955 Chevy. What options were available from the After Market in 1955. Suppose a well read Gearhead, (the "little Hot Rod magazines"), walks into a dealer and wants to spec-out and modify a Day 2 car. What boxes does he check off on the order form, and what can he bolt on, the next day? Can he order a base model 2 door with a Rear Seat delete. (the so-called Route Salesman's car), with the hottest Factory Engine?

Corvette Dual Carbs? Mag Wheels? Better Tires? Headers? What else.

Those are about all the things, I can think of, but there must be more. Any Thoughts?

17 hours ago, alexis said:

Just reading the Day 2 rules, and going off on a tangent. I'm starting this thread because I don't want to interfere with that one.

So, 1955 Chevy. What options were available from the After Market in 1955. Suppose a well read Gearhead, (the "little Hot Rod magazines"), walks into a dealer and wants to spec-out and modify a Day 2 car. What boxes does he check off on the order form, and what can he bolt on, the next day? Can he order a base model 2 door with a Rear Seat delete. (the so-called Route Salesman's car), with the hottest Factory Engine?

Corvette Dual Carbs? Mag Wheels? Better Tires? Headers? What else.

Those are about all the things, I can think of, but there must be more. Any Thoughts?

The top engine option for the '55 Chevrolet was the 265 cu.in. V8 with a single 4 barrel carb. The 3 speed manual was standard and Overdrive was an option. Beyond that you could get the 2 speed Power Glide automatic. The back seat delete car you're thinking of would have been a 150 series model with no bodyside trim, a fixed rear side windows, a passenger side fold down sun visor would have been an extra cost option along with a heater or a radio. The Bell Telephone Company along with many other fleets used these and they were not as uncommon as you might think. Most were equipped with the base 6 cylinder and a 3 speed. As to how the normal gearhead would order a new '55? First, just what is normal ? Many people had many different ideas and wants and this also varied widely depending on not just where you were living but sometimes what part of town where you were living. If it fit the budget most would opt for the Bel Air in a hardtop, but convertibles were also very popular. Many that I remember seeing were the 210 model 2 door sedans. The exterior had the rear portion of the Bel Air trim minus the front fender trim. Basic interior with a rubber floor covering. There was an optional Del Ray interior that in my mind actually looked better than the Bel Air, but that's just my opinion. Any of the drive trains were available in this and the Bel Air models. As for the "Day Two options" the duel quads didn't appear until the '56 model year, but I'm sure there were a few that ordered "dealer kits" to retro fit by late '55.  The Mag Wheels of the day were usually just that, Magnesium and not suitable for street use and extremely expensive and found mostly on race cars. Chrome Wheels were just starting to be used but again there was a cost factor. Most had had black, and some red, painted wheels and hub caps were ware you would make your styling statement for wheels. Headers were not as common nor readily available as today. The most common exhaust upgrade would start with the Corvette "Rams Horn" exhaust manifolds that offered far better flow than whit was used on the '55 and '56 Chevrolet 265 engine. Even adding duel exhaust was an improvement and seemed to be the first thing to do. There were exhaust shops every wear you looked.  Most were just a center post lift out of an old gas station and a guy with a torch and a pipe bender. Vic Edelbrock Sr. started offering 3 - 2 setups and hotter Cams almost from the start. There were other Cam Grinders that were also offering many options and a Cam Swap was a good way to spend the day. Tires? Mostly a larger size on the rear and white walls were pretty common. Some recappers were using spacers in their molds to create a wider recapped tires. Casler and Ingelwood  being a names I remember the most. The slicks of the day for a street car usually had to have a couple of groves in the tread to satisfy local laws regarding tire tread. Later some offered recaps with an "Indy" tread pattern. These were popular since the tread made them look like the tires used on Indy Cars of the day. As for your prototype Business Coupe, I'm sure you could get the 180 hp. 265 cu.in. 4 barrel V8 with a 3 speed and 4:11 gears from the factory. I would add the OD to make up for the 411's if I wanted to go any distance and get any gas mileage at all, but then again this is plastic so that isn't as big of a concern.  

I'm going with what Mike said. The 1955 Chevrolet and the small block were brand new in 1955 so manufacturers hadn't had a chance to design many aftermarket parts.  I wasn't there so I did a little research and it looks like it was dual exhaust and a quick two inch lowering job at the local muffler shop.  Camshafts, intakes,  and carburetion came later in the year.  A January 1955 Southern California high school magazine has several 55's.  Some lowered, some probably mom and dad's, all on stock wheels with hub caps and whitewalls.  The student car of the month was Charles Conyer's flathead powered,  full fendered Model A roadster.

18 minutes ago, alexis said:

So, are Chrome Reverse Rims Ok? With or Without Baby Moon Hubcaps?

Maaaaybe, but not if the builder was on a budget. If the builder has access to the equipment needed to separate the wheel center and rim, then weld it back together...maybe?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/when-did-chrome-reverse-wheels-start.489886/

Casey,  it looks like we were running on the same wavelength - posting at the same time...

It was possible but depended on the budget in 1955.  The first chrome reverse wheels were a lot of work because you had to separate the center from the rim on a stock wheel, have the pieces chromed and then have the wheel welded back together.  It probably didn't cost as much as the racing wheels but it was expensive at the time.  More readily available mass produced chrome reverse wheels started showing up at an affordable price in the late 1950's or early 1960;s  Baby Moons were a '60's thing.

And in the late 1960's they were everywhere - I bought a set at the JC Penney's in a shopping mall on closeout even.

More information from the H.A.M.B. - https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/when-did-chrome-reverse-wheels-start.489886/

Edited by Muncie

So, Chromed Rims, maybe, but very spendy. Baby Moons, no way.

Thanks.

I'm trying to build the AMT 55 Sedan as a genuine Dec 1955 "Day 2" car.  So Far, mods appear to be Red or Black steel rims, possibly fancy J.C. Whitney Hub Caps (maybe), twin exhaust pipes, ans lowered springs. But, not much else.

Chromed Rims, reversed or not, might also be used, and larger than stock tires (on the rear) might be a possibility. BY Dec '55, am I looking at Dual Carburetors being available as an Aftermarket upgrade?   I believe David "ESPO" mentioned that might be the case. My Mythical buyer has all the Money he needs, to fix up his car. (A Blank Cheque Book)

"

People used custom hubcaps back in that time. You could also get them from other cars ie: Lancer, Cadillac, etc. A day 2 circa 1955? Depends on what part of the country. West coast nose dropped a bit. Custom caps, maybe a custom grille, dual exhaust, maybe cut outs, maybe a hotter cam, tuck and roll upholstery,  pinstriping. East coast probably would sit level or maybe slightly dropped in the tail. Same stuff as above but with skirts, dual spots. Painted black steel wheels with polished or chromed lug nuts were big, but that might have been later 50's, early 60's. And a street car would have wide whites all around. 

Probably a Day Two mod: Removing most of the '55 Chevy's vertical grille bars, leaving one on each end and (IIRC) three in the middle so it doesn't fall apart, then painting the remaining verticals black to give a fully horizontal look. I've seen this on a lot of old mild customs.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

An owner interested in straight line performance might have invested in a set of Traction Master traction bars.  The company dates from the 50s, but I don't know what year.  I had a set on my '55 hardtop, but that was in '65. ?

13 hours ago, alexis said:

So, Chromed Rims, maybe, but very spendy. Baby Moons, no way.

Thanks.

I'm trying to build the AMT 55 Sedan as a genuine Dec 1955 "Day 2" car.  So Far, mods appear to be Red or Black steel rims, possibly fancy J.C. Whitney Hub Caps (maybe), twin exhaust pipes, ans lowered springs. But, not much else.

Chromed Rims, reversed or not, might also be used, and larger than stock tires (on the rear) might be a possibility. BY Dec '55, am I looking at Dual Carburetors being available as an Aftermarket upgrade?   I believe David "ESPO" mentioned that might be the case. My Mythical buyer has all the Money he needs, to fix up his car. (A Blank Cheque Book)

"

As mentioned by so many others here, the Hub Cap or the lack of them was probably the least expensive and quickest way to change a cars appearance. The painted open wheel with no hub caps were sort of the Drag look. The Baby Moons were popular since it gave a little different appearance at minimal cost. The Cruiser Look would usually go with a Dodge Royal Lancer or '55 OLds Fiestas. The '56 Fiestas were probably the most desirable. The Buick full wheel covers looked good and with the optional single bar "Flipper" they would catch your eye when moving. That was sort of what it was all about anyway. In 1955 Vic Edelbrock   Sr. bought one of the first '55 models in late '54. He was one of the fist to offer intake manifolds and cams based off of that car. Since your guy has a bottomless wallet maybe he dropped his new '55 Chevy off at Vic's shop in Southern California and left a blank check on the front seat. Put a set of 8.20x15's on the rear and run the torch lightly over the front coil springs and tell him to empty his catalog of parts in the engine. Paint it a high gloss Black with a little pin striping after it was "Nosed & Decked"