Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom McQueen LeMans - The Movie Porsche 908 Camera Car


Recommended Posts

The year 1970 was big one for Steve McQueen. Among other things, he bought Porsche 908/02 #908-022.

In preparation for a return to Sebring, Florida for the annual 12 hour endurance race, he subsequently entered it in at least two Sports Car Club of America Regional/National races, winning class A-Sports Racing at each meeting. McQueen had been regularly participating in SCCA events since the late 50's.

McQueen had raced previously in the 12 Hour in 1962 in an Austin-Healey Sebring Sprite.

For 1970, he chose Peter Revson as a co-driver, which was an excellent choice, not only an accomplished drive in his own right, but a prior class winner at Sebring as well.

Unfortunately for McQueen, he broke his leg in a motorcycle racing accident, and would compete at Sebring with his leg in a cast.

For the race, Revson would handle the lion's share of the driving, being behind the wheel for 8 hours total, with McQueen performing for the mandatory minimum of 4.

49981509851_1d1dc5a7b5_z.jpg

For their efforts, the Revson/McQueen duo was scored second overall (although urban legend suggests a scoring oversight cost them a lap and the win).

The next time that chassis 908-022 would surface was at the LeMans 24 Hour race, in the form of a camera laden competitor, gathering footage for McQueen's pending movie, "LeMans".

49981763772_9abca458ab_c.jpg

The car completed the race, and was 9th overall on the scoring charts, but covered too few laps to be classified as a finisher.

Needless to say, I (as well as a legion of others) am a huge Steve McQueen fan, having an entire corner of my collection dedicated to him, and his iconic movie.

49980988008_f9ac37fe01_c.jpg

The one model that was missing was a replica of the camera car. Just this past week, that void was filled, as I bought my first Dennis Koleber (dennymini on eBay) custom.

49981704952_be3d4f5185_c.jpg

49981702187_a13278d19b_c.jpg

49981446591_12f3cca31d_c.jpg

49980914093_8b5f1c8c7d_c.jpg

49981693437_a9b983ef3e_c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2020 at 11:34 PM, Lizard Racing said:

IMHO, Le Mans is the best car-racing film ever made.  It was made by a racer for racers.  The hero didn't win the race, tore up his car and didn't get the girl.

Unfortunately, "Le Mans" pretty much cratered his movie career.  If McQueen had his way, it wouldn't have had a gettable girl in it and would have been a lot closer to a documentary.  Which would have made more sense for us car/racing lovers.

The whole story is in the great 2015 documentary "Steve McQueen: The Man and Le Mans." It's full of never-before-seen footage shot during the movie production, and insights from McQueen family and friends.  His ex-wife says something like:  "Steve had everything when he started making 'Le Mans.'  And he came out of it with nothing."

I also agree that's one awesome McQueen collection and makes me insanely jealous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen:_The_Man_%26_Le_Mans

Edited by Mike999
omit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also a big McQueen fan and really enjoy your collection of his cars.  Just last night I watched "Bullitt".  Had not seen it in its entirety since the first time in a theater at Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base in 1971.  I still remember going over those hills and slinging side-to-side in my theater seat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mike999 said:

Unfortunately, "Le Mans" pretty much cratered his movie career.  If McQueen had his way, it wouldn't have had a gettable girl in it and would have been a lot closer to a documentary.  Which would have made more sense for us car/racing lovers.

The whole story is in the great 2015 documentary "Steve McQueen: The Man and Le Mans." It's full of never-before-seen footage shot during the movie production, and insights from McQueen family and friends.  His ex-wife says something like:  "Steve had everything when he started making 'Le Mans.'  And he came out of it with nothing."

I also agree that's one awesome McQueen collection and makes me insanely jealous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen:_The_Man_%26_Le_Mans

 

On 6/11/2020 at 7:37 AM, TarheelRick said:

Also a big McQueen fan and really enjoy your collection of his cars.  Just last night I watched "Bullitt".  Had not seen it in its entirety since the first time in a theater at Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base in 1971.  I still remember going over those hills and slinging side-to-side in my theater seat.

 

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Outstanding tribute and cars!!

 

On 6/10/2020 at 4:22 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:38 AM, chris coller said:

Love the 917

 

On 6/8/2020 at 11:12 PM, 89AKurt said:

Very cool.  Now they have disposable GoPro cameras, amazing times.  Admire your dedication.

 

On 6/8/2020 at 10:57 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice to do it as the camera car from the film. Beautiful model.

I was at Sebring in '70 for that race. McQueen was definitely a talented driver, and pretty tough to drive an endurance event with a broken foot.

 

On 6/8/2020 at 10:34 PM, Lizard Racing said:

IMHO, Le Mans is the best car-racing film ever made.  It was made by a racer for racers.  The hero didn't win the race, tore up his car and didn't get the girl.

You have made a perfect representation of the essential working car.

 

On 6/8/2020 at 6:33 PM, Phildaupho said:

Great history and model. Really enjoyed this post

 

On 6/8/2020 at 8:22 AM, Gramps46 said:

Outstanding for both the collection and the camera car.  

 

On 6/8/2020 at 7:36 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

A great collection and fitting tribute to Steve McQueen. The camera car is very cool.  Dennis is a great modeler. 

Thank you all for your comments and compliments.  Clearly, McQueen is iconic, as is the movie.

I am going to have to watch the documentary.  I have read "A French Kiss with Death", and Marshall Terrill's biography, now I need to add the knowledge from the documentary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...