Model Cars Magazine Forum

WJ Hurst Olds

So, it's been cleared, but I have a stance issue. If I get the body to sit low enough, the valve covers will hit the hood. Now I get to disassemble it some, build drop spindles, and I may do a couple other tricks to get the hood to clear. Next is wet sand and polish, fabricate side windows, and final assembly. Overall I'm sorta happy with it, although the clearcoat magnified a couple of flaws in the paint which I could live without....

IMG_3417[1].JPG

IMG_3418[1].JPG

1 hour ago, am73grand said:

This is looking fantastic!

One question, how did you do the lettering on the tires?

All the tire decals I see have perfect edges. Yours look way more realistic.

Right? SO much more realistic. I just need to play with the color, maybe add a little brown to it to make them look dirty, like the real thing. It's a stencil, I can't remember the manufacturer. I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it tomorrow. And, thank you so much for the compliment, I appreciate it!

On 1/13/2021 at 7:14 AM, lordgodbob said:

Right? SO much more realistic. I just need to play with the color, maybe add a little brown to it to make them look dirty, like the real thing. It's a stencil, I can't remember the manufacturer. I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it tomorrow. And, thank you so much for the compliment, I appreciate it!

0DEFF846-A638-4DCA-AE5A-743BFC4B5CC9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So....major setback that I’ll try and make the best of. The clear was NOT happy with the Duplicolor silver, and when I was wet sanding it peeled off. So I guess I’ll sand it all down, order more decals, and try again. While I’m at it I’m going to fix a couple issues that showed up when the clear was applied, hopefully this just makes for a better build in the end.

A8E6C993-1E63-490B-92D6-C5DFE10B361E.jpeg

96C5B69B-DF4C-4B2E-84CA-CE0E994886D6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

I had to do my first reworking of a build and it sucks doesn't it!!!!! And all because I screwed up hood and roof stripes.

Yeah, I’m not thrilled, but I used the opportunity to fix a couple things I was less than happy with, and I’m trying to make the best of it!

Sorry to hear about the clear coat. Though every strike down is another reason to build back stronger, I believe the project will come out better. Also the perfectionist in me saw the Oldsmobile rocket decal by the door line was upside down. Here is a pic of WJ's car in the shop as a reference. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

1984 WJ Car in the Shop.png

1 hour ago, TheBandit said:

Sorry to hear about the clear coat. Though every strike down is another reason to build back stronger, I believe the project will come out better. Also the perfectionist in me saw the Oldsmobile rocket decal by the door line was upside down. Here is a pic of WJ's car in the shop as a reference. Look forward to seeing the finished product!

1984 WJ Car in the Shop.png

Yeah, I was hoping to go through this without anyone noticing that! I’m embarrassed that I did that, it’s on the list of things I’m glad I get to fix...great pic, by the way, wish I’d had that when I was first starting the project, didn’t know it had Willie’s trademark gold tin...

21 hours ago, lordgodbob said:

Yeah, I was hoping to go through this without anyone noticing that! I’m embarrassed that I did that, it’s on the list of things I’m glad I get to fix...great pic, by the way, wish I’d had that when I was first starting the project, didn’t know it had Willie’s trademark gold tin...

Here are a few other pics I have. The first 3 were from Willie's Facebook page and were taken before the 84 Winternationals. The final pic was from I believe an IHRA event at Rockingham. 

117871504_160670472272823_7896566293059081564_o.jpg

117950474_160670438939493_6606021781930200996_o.jpg

118085457_160670522272818_457328123886180143_o.jpg

118906550_3575920389105812_2004446920083747755_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said before, I’m taking this opportunity to make some upgrades to things I wasn’t happy with the first time around. No idea why I made no effort to make engine compartment tin the first time around, but I’m doing it now. I cut up an old Camaro body to rob the side panels, and I’m fabricating the rest. It’ll look much more finished and complete. I also realized that I need to extend the hood, so I’m doing that too.

stance is finalized, and seems perfect now

In the end this will be a much better build because the paint fell off...

69DFF5E0-1C93-4996-87B5-AC43F822ACD3.jpeg

82B392FC-DC4E-412A-B456-EDD2EAEBB84F.jpeg

7CC541B2-3FFB-40B3-9C4C-15240BC9B4E8.jpeg