Model Cars Magazine Forum

Three fresh cherries in 1:24 scale...

FenderMender

Motor Max 1:24 scale "Fresh Cherries" diecast model kits of three 1974 notorious small American hatchback cars- the Pinto, the Gremlin and the Vega.

On four separate areas of their display box it is indicated that the trunk opens. This is not the case for my three hatchback models as their back panels are sealed. It would have been a real nice feature if that panel did, in fact, open. And I don't recall that MotorMax made any of these 1974 models with actual trunks other than the hatchbacks. Have to give MotorMax credit for coming out with images such as these based on the original 1:1s being  unique and quirky.

The Chevy Vega came gray primered in the kit and was painted yellow; the other two were factory pre-painted as such.

Notable quotes from the liner notes:

1974 Ford Pinto

"Although Ford sold thousands of Pintos, there aren't too many around anymore."

1974 AMC Gremlin X

"American Motors offered the Gremlin X package as early as 1971, calling it 'The sharpest, sportiest group of features in one package.'"

1974 Chevrolet Vega

"Another standard feature found on the Vega was front wheel disc brakes- a FIRST for any GM vehicle."

Thanks for looking...

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-001.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-002.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-003.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-005.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-006.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-007.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-008.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-009.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-010.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-011.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-013.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-014.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-016.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-018.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-021.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-022.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-023.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-024.jpg

Pinto-Gremlin-Vega-025.jpg

That's an entire morning's worth of game show grand prize giveaways there; i.e.  You've just won a BRAND NEW CAR!   Indeed, some thought went into those and surely they'd respond well to an intervention consistent with getting a bit more out of them.  Thanks for sharing...

Mike K./Swede70

I have the Vega in green metallic.   The front wheel openings are slightly too round and the rear opening are funky.   Not sure if the tires are too big, the openings too small or too low?   Just something not quite right.   But I'm glad to have it.  I had a 73 which was whole different front and rear but beggars can't be choosers.   It starts a lot of conversation in my office.  

If there was a wish list, it would be for the first gen. with GT package - dash and wheels, detailed 2 bbl setup.   And then a Wagon from that.   I could go through a case of those, building the cars I'd like to have had and the two I did own.  

• 4 weeks later...