Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
mrm

The Long Roof Deuces - EXCLUSIVELY '32 Tudor, Fourdoor, Delivery and Phaeton ONLY thread.

Recommended Posts

So I am going to continue with the series of Deuce threads, to expand the specific building idea library. And also, so nobody with a Deuce model feels left out. 

My personal favorite body styles for Deuces (and most Street Rods) are what I call "the Long Roofs". I believe it gives a more elegant and fluid shape to street rods.

I am counting on all the rodders on here to step up and show us what they got. 

I'm gonna kick it off with Revell's '32 Tudor Sedan. The kit is 100% Box Stock, build as per the instructions. Not a single decal inside and out. All Paint, all Tamiya. 

 

 

dsc0531fl.jpg

dsc0532je.jpg

dsc0533pz.jpg

dsc0534e.jpg

dsc0535k.jpg

dsc0536uw.jpg

dsc0527l.jpg

dsc0528cn.jpg

dsc0530w.jpg

dsc0537m.jpg

dsc0538dr.jpg

dsc0539js.jpg

dsc0540o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quiet Eric said:

You are a master at flames!

I would argue that phaetons belong in the roadster thread.

Thank you for the flames. However credit has to be given in this case to Crazy Modeler, as his precut masks were used. I love his Deuce flames, except the part in the center of the top hood. 

At one point I had the "great idea" to build a Deuce qualifying for every contest category at the Heartland Nationals. Of course that idea never materialized altho it pokes its annoying head out every once in a while. LOL. What came out of it was this Deuce for the Box Stock class. I thought that if it is box stock, the only thing that could be made completely custom, was the paint. So I ordered the Crazy Modeler's masks and went to work on it. Really nice product. The only thing is that the flames have pretty much the same pattern for a lot of his other masks, so it becomes almost immediately evident when a model is done with that product. This is what actually pushed me to make my blue flamed roadster in the other thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a sedan delivery I cobbled together from the spare parts box a long long time ago. I believe the body was AMT, running boards, rear fenders, and hood were Lindberg '34 pickup, front fenders and grill were AMY '32 5-window. This was a curbside.

32delivery14.JPG

32delivery15.JPG

32delivery17.JPG

 

Edited by Quiet Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Quiet Eric said:

Here's a sedan delivery I cobbled together from the spare parts box a long long time ago. I believe the body was AMT, running boards, rear fenders, and hood were Lindberg '34 pickup, front fenders and grill were AMY '32 5-window. This was a curbside.

32delivery14.JPG

32delivery15.JPG

32delivery17.JPG

 

You like them Black hot Rods!!! In real life I am pretty close to the belief that all hot rods should be black, LOL, but in models I love all the different colors and try to stay away from black. I feel they almost loose most of their detail when they are all in black. 

   And something I forgot to comment on earlier. I kinda hear you on the Phaetons, but they have four doors (at least originally) four seats and their bodies and roofs are much longer. If they belonged with the roadsters, then the Tudors and Fourdoors would belong with the 3/5 window coupes. If people post models of Phaetons, they could serve as inspiration for people building sedans, as far as colors and continuation of the beltilne goes and vice versa. With coupes and roadsters it is completely different and I would separate a two tone combo a completely different way than on a Sedan.  

Edited by mrm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mrm said:

  And something I forgot to comment on earlier. I kinda hear you on the Phaetons, but they have four doors (at least originally) four seats and their bodies and roofs are much longer. If they belonged with the roadsters, then the Tudors and Fourdoors would belong with the 3/5 window coupes. If people post models of Phaetons, they could serve as inspiration for people building sedans, as far as colors and continuation of the beltilne goes and vice versa. With coupes and roadsters it is completely different and I would separate a two tone combo a completely different way than on a Sedan.  

If I had to put '32 body styles into groups, there would be 4...

Roadster and a phaeton have so much in common with one another. They share the same cowl, windshield, and front doors.

Cabriolet or Sport Coupe have far more in common with a 5-window than a roadster and I would group them with the 5w coupes.

A 3 window is it's own animal that shares little more than subrails with other '32s.

A Victoria would have to be with 2 and 4 door sedans. B400's and deliveries also in this group.

But after all this is all semantics and doesn't really matter!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Quiet Eric said:

If I had to put '32 body styles into groups, there would be 4...

Roadster and a phaeton have so much in common with one another. They share the same cowl, windshield, and front doors.

Cabriolet or Sport Coupe have far more in common with a 5-window than a roadster and I would group them with the 5w coupes.

A 3 window is it's own animal that shares little more than subrails with other '32s.

A Victoria would have to be with 2 and 4 door sedans. B400's and deliveries also in this group.

But after all this is all semantics and doesn't really matter!

 

I absolutely agree with your grouping, but we are looking from two different perspectives. You are grouping them based on the characteristics of the real cars. I am grouping them from the perspective of ideas and inspiration for model  projects. If we were to be building the 1:1 real McCoy, then absolutely your grouping would be the correct one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dig 'em both! Super clean flamed contemporary rod vs. a mean chopped matte-painted aggressive funky beast.

Here are my long-roof Deuces.

Chopped Tudor based on Jimmy Flintstone re-pop of the Revell Orange Crate body shell:

DSCF2783-web.jpg
DSCF2773-wrb.jpg

Chopped Revell Tudor Highboy:

DSCF6118-web.jpg
DSCF6104-web.jpg

Full-fendered chopped Revell Tudor Resto-Rod:

DSCF6834-web.jpg
DSCF6829-web.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flames are excellent on that . How does one go about contacting Crazy Modeler to get some info ? Thanks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some fantastic builds here guys! 
Here’s my Revell ‘32 with DOHC hemi power. 
DAEC2DAE-0B69-416A-AD75-87AAB58B2356.thumb.jpeg.2cbc6df07e22887b8a7e7a1d24d9e323.jpeg

7F9A75E1-8431-419E-9B11-CEE5719393E8.thumb.jpeg.0629c2870841813dd36f69fb1daa7118.jpeg

55CF7809-32CB-4808-8CB7-9457BE877576.thumb.jpeg.782763cffd50b76295cdd004077ba4fd.jpeg

00572C0E-D4FA-4C89-89D6-A085C8CDB6ED.thumb.jpeg.4cb06b24a2419d06fefeea4ce677f6fa.jpeg

BD588BA7-EAEC-4400-9AC0-E8691AF7ADCE.thumb.jpeg.b7eaa96f1ab7a4a31e599ffce02e156e.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Some fantastic builds here guys! 
Here’s my Revell ‘32 with DOHC hemi power.

Great stance on this model. Dialing in the Revell Deuce is a critical step when building these models. You nailed it here. I'd love to know more about some details. Tire choices? They complement the Revell kit wheels (?) perfectly. Also, what was your idea behind the DOHC motor? The heads look like M/T prototypes, the distributor placed like on a small block Ford and the header spacing from a Nailhead.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished this the weekend. Restoration of the 1963 issue of the AMT kit.

Ford 1932 hotrod 01.jpg

Ford 1932 hotrod 02.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

 

Bach's Body Shop Special Blue 1.JPG

 

Rodney, I am not much of a rat rod fan, but this one is just bad ass. Could you please show some more pictures? I am particularly interested in your front suspension solution. Would love you to shed some light on the entire frame/chassis and the interior too. 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My most recent Deuce build was the Red Hot Phaeton using the  vintage AMT kit combined with R/M front suspension and small block Ford engine. The interior was modified with new door panels, seats, and carpeting. A working scratch built luggage rack was added and the canvas top detailed underneath with straps and frame. The chassis was chromed and features the front suspension from R/M while the rear has split wishbones. A scratch built tranny cooler was added, along with brake lines. Overall a very satisfying build!

Cheers Misha
 

792A1A83-BD3B-470B-9420-44F4BF8A3848.jpeg

E3EEA2C4-FF9E-4435-B1CF-60F1349DD924.jpeg

09824D30-28B1-453B-9F4E-3DE6F0D2D3FA.jpeg

B3840421-C109-467F-859B-ADB332F30FE8.jpeg

844A1A51-B7FC-4935-956D-F28A13D86B11.jpeg

3499D3B5-050C-4BCE-91AA-316357464708.jpeg

D14F9FE4-C0B1-401B-AFD5-C980D7C4DA1B.jpeg

1B1040F3-554D-4AB8-90D6-52E012ED79A6.jpeg

7B67974A-9027-4EDF-BD18-DB316D4E9C32.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrm said:

Rodney, I am not much of a rat rod fan, but this one is just bad ass. Could you please show some more pictures? I am particularly interested in your front suspension solution. Would love you to shed some light on the entire frame/chassis and the interior too. 

Thanks

https://public.fotki.com/jferren/bachs-body-shop-special/ -RRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love all the 32s here. I took a different direction with the AMT 32 Phantom Vicki kit. Chopped and molded in the odd looking roof from the kit, chopped the grill and used metal wire. Lots of mods, including flush windshield.

59ad70b808b7f_Photo_9-4-17_8-50-57_AM_MDT.thumb.jpg.35fcb8f9b9eb0ebb863a6b56d403c61d.jpg.9c71e7e7316b6b73f8968a53e05eb809.jpg

DSCN1725.thumb.JPG.38928253614f59b276be2a751281c727.jpg.450e68ade350311340cfe6f12c13d28d.jpg

DSCN1705.thumb.JPG.4525b76291f13a7df0c232e41a7c4bb7.jpg.c9574e276141ba9a96acecd31cf76d86.jpg

DSCN1742.thumb.JPG.5835567284db69b42cc40e52ad97c75e.jpg.eabbf6c9f99e7f2a236d95a15fb3a2b5.jpg

DSCN1738.thumb.JPG.09997fc4dc6c5658ea199984d7223e57.jpg.f847c6e2b4a7df70b72d455e3a6ae2fa.jpg

DSCN1715.thumb.JPG.202e20cca47bf4b80a468750b7315709.jpg.c1c6dc02f66d2bb3da81905d1de360ec.jpg

Edited by RestoModGuy
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RestoModGuy said:

Love all the 32s here. I took a different direction with the AMT 32 Phantom Vicki kit. Chopped and molded in the odd looking roof from the kit, chopped the grill and used metal wire. Lots of mods, including flush windshield.

DSCN1725.thumb.JPG.38928253614f59b276be2a751281c727.jpg.450e68ade350311340cfe6f12c13d28d.jpg

DSCN1705.thumb.JPG.4525b76291f13a7df0c232e41a7c4bb7.jpg.c9574e276141ba9a96acecd31cf76d86.jpg

DSCN1715.thumb.JPG.202e20cca47bf4b80a468750b7315709.jpg.c1c6dc02f66d2bb3da81905d1de360ec.jpg

Truly inspired re-do of this kit while staying true to its modern style. The chopped and channeled approach improves the proportions greatly. Also dig the injected small block. What's the source for that mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very smooth rendition Jim, I like the silhouette a lot more than the awkward top in the kit. Great engine too. Cheers Misha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...