Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Impala hubcaps?

I recently picked up the supernatural 67 Impala 4 door kit and the only wheels it comes with are the ones from the show. By chance does anyone know if there was a 67 Impala release that had factory hubcaps or something close, full caps or the dog dish poverty caps?

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Jada has a fairly decent diecast that has the stock wheel covers. 

I have a rescued promo with them, too. Would be willing to work a deal with a RELIABLE resincaster. 

67ImpalaPromoWhite11.jpg.3c4b5d6eb9a808aa16f8da072a9a08c7.jpg

If you want reliable, then I guess you don't want Reliable...

13 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'm not sure, but were the '67 full sized chevy poverty caps the same as Camaro?

If so, Fireball Modelworks has the answer.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-145%20lg.JPG

Steve

Nope, '67 dog dishes were a one year only deal, different from other Chevies that year.

56 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

On a 4 door? I didn't think they put them on 4 door cars factory...

They were optional in '67. I believe the Rally Wheels would have also been optionally available on any '67 Impala, though I don't think I've ever actually seen them on a 4-door. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

You want to toss them in with the parts I'll be copying for you? I could do a one-sided mold and cast up just the wheelcover part.

Is anyone interested in this? If so, I'll include one of the wheels in some stuff I'll be sending Chris soon. I don't need 'em but some of you might.  IF Chris is interested in meeting demand, that is. B)

11 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

FD7AF3FD-436F-4A84-AB5D-F617928952AD.jpeg

The Australian Impala looks like it has regular wheels without the Rally wheel slots, but has Rally wheel center caps and trim rings.  That combination looks good but wasn't offered here.

Another option might be the simulated mag wheel covers from the Lindberg '66 Chevelle kit.

15 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Is anyone interested in this? If so, I'll include one of the wheels in some stuff I'll be sending Chris soon. I don't need 'em but some of you might.  IF Chris is interested in meeting demand, that is. B)

I would be interested depending on price of course like I said I’m a cheap B@#$&#$$.....

12 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

FD7AF3FD-436F-4A84-AB5D-F617928952AD.jpeg

interesting, hole don’t look as big as a standard rally though...

1 hour ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I would be interested depending on price of course like I said I’m a cheap B@#$&#$$.....

That's up to Chris. I'm not interested in being in the wheel cover bidness; I'm just possibly supplying an original for him to make a mold. Chris is a good guy to work with and open to trades, so maybe he'd be willing to trade for them, if any of this comes to pass. 

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

It’s an Australian brochure, so there is a difference. I like the smooth, hole free look on the steel wheels. 

I think I like it myself

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

That's up to Chris. I'm not interested in being in the wheel cover bidness; I'm just possibly supplying an original for him to make a mold. Chris is a good guy to work with and open to trades, so maybe he'd be willing to trade for them, if any of this comes to pass. 

We’ll see if anyone else chimes in so it might be worth his while to do

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

On a 67 Impala project I had, I just used hubcaps from the 65 Wagon or El Camino. Looked close enough to me.

You could also try the caps from Revells 66 wagon or Lindberg 66 SS.

Exactly what I was thinking! I was just looking at my 65 Chevelle wagon, and noticed that the wheel covers looked close to the Impala's.

On 11/28/2020 at 6:40 AM, oldnslow said:

How about these ?

Impala

?

Biscayne

?

The Biscayne caps look a lot like the Camaro caps I posted above from Fireball Modelworks.

I will probably never build one of these 4 door Impala kits, but if I did, I would be using the Fireball caps.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/images/FMR-145%20lg.JPG

Steve

I have been watching this discussion for a time. To my knowledge the Chevrolet Impala included full wheel covers as part of the Impala trim package. The Rally wheels were an extra cost option and were required when ordering Disc Brakes and then the wheels would be 15" in diameter instead of the standard 14" wheels, this was for clearance for the brake calipers. The Rally wheels could be had on any full size model starting in '67. I lived in an area were a lot of people buying or ordering new cars at the time would try and get them with Disc Brakes since brake fade was pretty common in most mountain areas. There were even station wagons with Rally wheels since they were required with Disc Brakes. I even had them on my new '68 Bel Air two door also since I ordered that car with Disc Brakes.  The center cap for the Rally wheels was a unique one year only design and not the larger "Hat" type usually seen on later model cars. The AMT '67 Impala SS kit has the correct center cap as does the AMT '67 Camaro kit. They are on the chrome tree, but if you're going for a true showroom appearance you'll want to paint the wheel area, where the slots are, a semi flat silver color. This would be true for any of the following year models as well. As suggested by Oldcarfan27 the Hub Caps from the El Camino kit would be very close to what you would need for a standard and most common Impala. I hope this helps and doesn't confuse.