Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 21' Cannonball Ruse build thread

disconovaman

THAT's DISGUSTING, KURT!!  Why enter an 11-month build and then waste 10 of those months!?!?!

I've just successfully completed gluing my engine block halves together. I'm pacing myself!

LOL.  It looks great, as usual.

Now you have another new build ready to go for dscV17!!!

🌵😎

7 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Turned out nice Kurt, the weathering is very convincing

It's a desperate effort to hide my cheap repaint.  🤣  It's also a carry over from military model building, and rally cars don't look right being show car shiny.

12 minutes ago, Danno said:

THAT's DISGUSTING, KURT!!  Why enter an 11-month build and then waste 10 of those months!?!?!

I've just successfully completed gluing my engine block halves together. I'm pacing myself!

LOL.  It looks great, as usual.

Now you have another new build ready to go for dscV17!!!

🌵😎

Glad I could offend you.  🤪  What makes you think I won't do another one?   I have a Lexus body with nowhere to go.  I need to pace myself too, to get more finished projects to enter your show.  Wish I could keep up this pace all year.

10 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Officially done!

Awesome build! Very Unsuspecting! Now you still have plenty of time to build the model kit behind the passenger seat I was referring to in my earlier comment Kurt 😄...

58 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I have a Lexus body with nowhere to go.

Please build this... 😁 I'm not sure if we ever had two builds or more in the history of the CBR? I'm feeling challenged right now...😆

25 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Awesome build! Very Unsuspecting! Now you still have plenty of time to build the model kit behind the passenger seat I was referring to in my earlier comment Kurt 😄...

Please build this... 😁 I'm not sure if we ever had two builds or more in the history of the CBR? I'm feeling challenged right now...😆

Yes, we did. In the second or third year we had an enterprising young fellow, who cranked out three Cannonball racers. To make it fair, I asked him politely (via PM) to enter only his best one in the race in December and he happliy did so, and the poll went off without a hitch. The next year I included this change into the official rules. Build as many as you want, but just one in the race. I do not recall if it's happened since, though.

1 minute ago, Jantrix said:

The next year I included this change into the official rules

I love the history of this contest and I wondered if this rule was for that reason... I think it's a great rule because it allows you to build and enter your best or favorite Cannonball entry... I think I may build another for inspiration. I have a few ideas for this theme...

55 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I love the history of this contest and I wondered if this rule was for that reason... I think it's a great rule because it allows you to build and enter your best or favorite Cannonball entry... I think I may build another for inspiration. I have a few ideas for this theme...

Since it's a popular vote, if you enter more than one, you're competing against yourself and diluting your own chances, so I don't see why there would actually need to be a "rule" about it. :unsure:

I'm definitely planning to build two and have hopes to build at least two others. I have no illusions that any of them would be a "winner," I'm only in this for the fun (and the incentive of building a few models I've had in mind for a while). B)

57 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I love the history of this contest 

You aren't the only one. Before he died, Harry had contacted me, via email, about doing an article about this CBP for the magazine. He was impressed by the longevity of this simple idea, the amount of repeat offenders 😅 and how supportive we all were of each others efforts. He said it represented the best of what online forums should be all about, but so seldom are in reality. He got sick not long after, sadly. 

We even had a resin caster/online merchant who approached me about provided us, at no charge, a winners package, but I never heard from him again.

As for my entry, I'm losing interest in the Matador and am looking for an alternative that suits me. Due to my limited bench time, I'm generally looking for something that requires less custom work / scratch building / engineering. I thought the Matador was my ticket, but the poor quality of the kit, gets me grumbling. 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I don't see why there would actually need to be a "rule" about it

Actually this is more common than you may think, It's one of the Rules at both the MDA and IPMS Contests. Last year  I became a judge for the first  time and we had to vote according to the one we liked to most.

3 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

We even had a resin caster/online merchant who approached me about provided us, at no charge, a winners package, but I never heard from him again.

As for my entry, I'm losing interest in the Matador and am looking for an alternative that suits me.

I actually sent out a trophy plaque for Old Mopars as last year's winner just because I feel like we  deserve something tangible for our efforts and I plan on doing that as long as I run the Cannonball.. If nothing else a thanks for participating and being  the favor. 

Really sad to see you losing interest in the Matador, It's my favorite so far and I really  thought the Nascar chassis was working well.

34 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I really  thought the Nascar chassis was working well.

It is, it's fabricating an interior, altering the roll cage, fitting the twin turbo sbc in and around the front roll cage tubing, making a front radiator core that holds the body to the right dimension that the grill and hood both fit, and allowing the intercooler to fit. Lots of engineeering.

58 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

I thought the Matador was my ticket, but the poor quality of the kit, gets me grumbling. 

I can relate. The AMT '65 Chevelle dirt tracker hit me the same way. I intended to build it in parallel with Stupidbird, but after the first couple sessions I decided to set it aside until Stupidbird is finished, or nearly so. I've also got another active project on the bench, JunkNova, and yet another, a full-custom AMT '65 Impala convertible, receiving some attention too, as the mood moves me. I am TRYING this year to get a model finished, or at least within sight of the finishing line, before starting any more. I think it's impossible for me to work on one model at a time exclusively, but if I can keep it down to 3 or 4 or 5 I think I'll be more productive. :unsure:

Edited by Snake45

3 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I did put both kit boxes in the back, posted on my WIP topic.  😀 

Only after getting my other projects done, if at all.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I think it's impossible for me to work on one model at a time exclusively, but if I can keep it down to 3 or 4 or 5 I think I'll be more productive. :unsure:

Yeah I agree, I can't focus on one at a time either... in the words of Pappy O'Daniel  "We ain't one-at-a-timin' here. We're MASS communicating!' 😆 

And is JunkNova the one I hope it is? And does it have a thread yet? 😁

I'm kinda on a delay at the moment, I'm remodeling my hobby room with new flooring, desk, and a new office chair. so hopefully I'll be set up in a month or so...

20210202_201721.jpg

20210202_130258.jpg

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Probably not the one you're hoping for

It's all good, I've just heard mention of a particular Squad Rod and thought well just maybe? 😆 

I really dig the 65! Good luck with that one.. I like the color on the 66 too. 

I really want to start a "Generations" build on the Nova... and build every one all the way up starting with the newly re-tooled/re-released Chevy II wagon.

It seems like I'm missing out on the rest of the fourm,  I need to start exploring more on the site...

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

It's all good, I've just heard mention of a particular Squad Rod and thought well just maybe? 😆 

I really dig the 65! Good luck with that one.. I like the color on the 66 too. 

I really want to start a "Generations" build on the Nova... and build every one all the way up starting with the newly re-tooled/re-released Chevy II wagon.

It seems like I'm missing out on the rest of the fourm,  I need to start exploring more on the site...

I'd have never painted it that color, but I bought it that way and was able to make it work with 6 coats of clear lacquer, polished out. It'll be different. Different is good (sometimes). 

I'm hoping to build the first four generations of Nova this year. First done will be the '66 JunkNova. I have a Revell '69 painted and ready for the BOYD build for some time now. Am restoring a '62 (and hope to get the '65 junk body ready, and maybe build the '63 wagon too. And then I hope to get at least one '75/'76 one done (round headlights, not the Squad Rod). B)

#5 Audi Quattro

Fine progress guys. Congrats to @89AKurt on crossing the finish line. I've been plugging away slowly & am just starting to get primer on things. I particularly enjoy doing interiors so I've checked off a fair bit here, including finishing the dashboard:

IMG_20210205_164757205.thumb.jpg.d57f557bbe174e78dec31b527076413f.jpg

The centre console is scratch built, as is the CB radio, tablet screen (right) & GPS. I repurposed some decals to make a scanner (above CB) & spent forever trying to fit the miniscule PE toggle switches 🧐. The steering wheel is an upgrade from the spares bin modified to fit. Also got some carbon Kevlar decals done for the seats & sump guard to lose some weight:

IMG_20210201_233628555.thumb.jpg.a1afde6f24ef2e84f818957a3b29acec.jpg

Edited by Pete75

On 2/4/2021 at 12:05 AM, 89AKurt said:

Officially done!

IMG_1109.thumb.jpg.ccdba5f2cc1287e1d3f45ccf1a0b6ec1.jpg

I see your car is in "end of race" configuration. How optimistic 😅.  Your relatively early completion betrays the amount of time, effort and focus you've put into this. A well thought out and executed theme model. Hats off, Kurt.

7 hours ago, Pete75 said:

#5 Audi Quattro

Fine progress guys. Congrats to @89AKurt on crossing the finish line. I've been plugging away slowly & am just starting to get primer on things. I particularly enjoy doing interiors so I've checked off a fair bit here, including finishing the dashboard:

[...]

Appreciate it!  You are progressing really well, not slopped together like mine.  😜

5 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I see your car is in "end of race" configuration. How optimistic 😅.  Your relatively early completion betrays the amount of time, effort and focus you've put into this. A well thought out and executed theme model. Hats off, Kurt.

Being positive is the only way to get anything in life done.  I was in full obsessed possessed mode.  It also disguises the sub par paint work.  Thank you!

On 2/4/2021 at 1:05 AM, 89AKurt said:

Officially done!

Killed it !!

Holy Mackinaw that was maybe the fastest ever finish ( I could be wrong) judges..?

Nice job Kurt!

I just chose a seat colour...

5 hours ago, Pete75 said:

#5 Audi Quattro

I particularly enjoy doing interiors so I've checked off a fair bit here, including finishing the dashboard:

Nice interior detailing Pete great dash

6 minutes ago, Belugawrx said:

Killed it !!

Holy Mackinaw that was maybe the fastest ever finish ( I could be wrong) judges..?

Nice job Kurt!

[...]

😅  No, second one done for this year's community build.  Everyone has 11 months to build a more killer project.  😬