Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Gluebomber

Jaguar XK-120

Recommended Posts

Very nice work on your Jag!  I just love the classic Jag grille!

B01C3FD0-15EB-4E11-A36C-226A901885B4.jpeg.833b8f69635da0686bc8c7e2ba952a8a.jpeg

I just picked up this diecast. Absolutely flawless. The tire/wheel set is worth the $18 paid!  And this illustrates why people just don’t build models anymore when people can simply buy a finished model.

Me? I actually find it quite a hollow experience.. I got the mail, opened it, spent maybe 15 minutes enjoying it.. then what? I’m kinda over it!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I just picked up this diecast. Absolutely flawless. The tire/wheel set is worth the $18 paid!  And this illustrates why people just don’t build models anymore when people can simply buy a finished model.

To be brutally honest Tom, that die cast illustrates why people (those who desire a nice replica) build rather then just buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very nice work on your Jag!  I just love the classic Jag grille!

B01C3FD0-15EB-4E11-A36C-226A901885B4.jpeg.833b8f69635da0686bc8c7e2ba952a8a.jpeg

I just picked up this diecast. Absolutely flawless. The tire/wheel set is worth the $18 paid!  And this illustrates why people just don’t build models anymore when people can simply buy a finished model.

Me? I actually find it quite a hollow experience.. I got the mail, opened it, spent maybe 15 minutes enjoying it.. then what? I’m kinda over it!

Are you serious,  or joking Tom?  Those spoke wheels and tires look like something you find on a child's toy. I would not pay $2 for them. The entire "model" looks like a $18 kid's toy.

I think you must be joking - you are one of the NNL East organizers - you have a good idea of what a flawless model looks like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, peteski said:

Are you serious,  or joking Tom?  Those spoke wheels and tires look like something you find on a child's toy. I would not pay $2 for them. The entire "model" looks like a $18 kid's toy.

I think you must be joking - you are one of the NNL East organizers - you have a good idea of what a flawless model looks like.

Pete.. just an observation as to why people don’t build. Back when we were kids if we bought a promo, it lacked so much detail that we had to take it apart to paint and detail. Or that car we wanted was only available as a kit, so we built it. That introduced us to a hobby we still enjoy.

Today, people can buy nice replicas for less than a kit. It’s already completed and finished better than most folks can accomplish, so they don’t have to bother.

Its not that people don’t like cars today, they just don’t participate in our craft. Pieces like this scratch their itch. I know so because I see diecast cars decorating offices in my workplace. 

Note that I ended my bit with the experience that I opened the package, looked at it a short time and that was all there was to do.. and it left me, a builder, feeling hollow and unfulfilled. 

And yes I know what a flawless model looks like. And the fact that there are people who take this stuff way too seriously. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Pete.. just an observation as to why people don’t build. Back when we were kids if we bought a promo, it lacked so much detail that we had to take it apart to paint and detail. Or that car we wanted was only available as a kit, so we built it. That introduced us to a hobby we still enjoy.

Today, people can buy nice replicas for less than a kit. It’s already completed and finished better than most folks can accomplish, so they don’t have to bother.

I have to disagree.  Maybe as a modeler my opinion of what is a decent model is a  bit skewed.

To me that $18 model is not a nice replica. It is a very poor replica of the car.  Nice replicas are those Franklin or Danbury Mint models which cost a lot more money. Or any of the plethora of 1:43, 1:24, 1:18 diecast or resin models available for purchase.  Those look much better, and are more accurate than the $18 diecast you showed.

I guess we just see things differently.

Edited by peteski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to repeat something I have said here before about diecasts.  Up until 2018 I only had a couple of diecasts of cars that were not available in plastic kit form.  Then for medical reasons I was inflected with tremors which not only forced my retirement but also ended my kit building.  It was at this time that I discovered diecasts in 1/24th scale at the drugstore for $9.99 and they were pretty nice and allowed me to continue to enjoy and expand my model car hobby.  Diecasts that are available today have come a long way from 10 years ago and some of the older ones can easily be upgraded, especially the wheels and tires.

In my case, fortunately, the tremors have lessened and I have learned techniques which have let me return to building models again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys, we have ruined Gluebomber’s thread by taking it down a wrong path! 
 

Apologies to OP. I only showed the diecast because others mentioned having a diecast kit of same, and the photo was handy since I just got it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for the kind comments on my model. 

I'm going to stay out of the diecast vs built model discussion because I don't have any experience with diecasts so I don't have much to offer.  I am glad we were able to reach what looks like an amicable conclusion to the earlier discussion in this thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Job Gluebomber.

I'm building one (dark green).

In my opinion only a dark color can reduce visually the thickness of the panel lines witch otherwise is not realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Very nice work on your Jag!  I just love the classic Jag grille!

B01C3FD0-15EB-4E11-A36C-226A901885B4.jpeg.833b8f69635da0686bc8c7e2ba952a8a.jpeg

I just picked up this diecast. Absolutely flawless. The tire/wheel set is worth the $18 paid!  And this illustrates why people just don’t build models anymore when people can simply buy a finished model.

Me? I actually find it quite a hollow experience.. I got the mail, opened it, spent maybe 15 minutes enjoying it.. then what? I’m kinda over it!

 

On this model, the wheels have simply 4 times fewer spokes than needed and they are 4 times too thick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2021 at 7:06 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Ok guys, we have ruined Gluebomber’s thread by taking it down a wrong path! 
 

Apologies to OP. I only showed the diecast because others mentioned having a diecast kit of same, and the photo was handy since I just got it!

Tom, that version of this Monogram kit only had a diecast body. Rest of the kit was identical to the 100% plastic one.  Also, that metal body looked as if it was molded in the same mold as the plastic body.  The quality and fidelity was the same as the 100% plastic kit.  I'm not even sure why Monogram even decided to make the body out of metal for that release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm mmm mmm. So smooth and sleek! Phenomenal looking Jag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...