Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya TS-83 and TS-84

Was at the LHS earlier, and picked up (and put right back down) a can of Tamiya TS-84 metallic gold. I haven't seen it before, but noticed that it was marked $21. Chatted with the counter lizard, and he confirmed the price. Checked on the Tamiya website, and he is correct. I see some others on the site with MSRP of $10.50- $11.00 as well. I like the convenience and performance of their rattle cans, but it may be time to get reacquainted with Mr. Paasche.

image.png.310f7d9ba9f1fa3bea0f379bb40dc6b9.png

Edited by Rodent

Special paint blends get a special price.  They don't reflect any new pricing structure within the TS line other than the fact that some other new metallics (the $10 cans) have been blended with a finer (and more expensive) metallic particle so they don't come out looking like a bass boat when you paint things.

TS-83 is specifically designed to be used over TS-14 (Gloss Black) to give NMF (Natural Metal Finish) on airplane models.  TS-84 is also designed to be used over TS-14 for things like automotive wheels and the like.  Both are proprietary mixes to give finishes that are specifically NOT supposed to be clear coated, hence the extra money dollars. 

My LHS has just started getting in some of the "higher numbered" TS-xx paint within the last few weeks. I had never seen these before, but I am always looking for interesting colors. Thanks for the info, y'all are a fountain of knowledge.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 12:32 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Both are proprietary mixes to give finishes that are specifically NOT supposed to be clear coated, hence the extra money dollars. 

Interesting fact as I've considered purchasing a can of TS-84 and would've cleared over it. 

2 hours ago, 935k3 said:

Here is link to review of these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBjYXSCj1p4

Thanks for the link as it was very informative. I had previously considered Tamiya's TS-84 Metallic Gold since I was looking for a color that was comparable Solar Gold for a Pontiac Trans Am I plan on building. After watching this video I think TS-87 (Titanium Gold) will suffice. 

The guy in that 20-minute-long video gave me a headache!  He talks way too much!!

I also think he put too many coats of those Tamiya "metalizer" paints over the glossy base.  I would treat them like I would Alclad II chrome.  1-coat!!

As I see it, those paints are supposed to be used to represent bare polished metal, while he keeps comparing them to standard metallic colors.  I don't think they are meant to be used as a car body color (especially since the clear coat is not recommended).

Then there is the price. Yes, they are pricey (per can).  But if they are to be equivalent to Alclad, I think that ounce per ounce, Alclad is even more expensive than those Tamiya metalizer paints.

One thing that was not tested is how durable the Tamiya finish is vs. Alclad Chrome.

Edited by peteski

On 1/16/2021 at 9:35 PM, Rodent said:

Was at the LHS earlier, and picked up (and put right back down) a can of Tamiya TS-84 metallic gold. I haven't seen it before, but noticed that it was marked $21. Chatted with the counter lizard, and he confirmed the price. Checked on the Tamiya website, and he is correct. I see some others on the site with MSRP of $10.50- $11.00 as well. I like the convenience and performance of their rattle cans, but it may be time to get reacquainted with Mr. Paasche.

image.png.310f7d9ba9f1fa3bea0f379bb40dc6b9.png

Locally the Hobby Lobby here has been offering their Primers for $10.50 for some time now. This may be part of some new pricing strategy in case you use your 40% coupon.  

14 hours ago, espo said:

Locally the Hobby Lobby here has been offering their Primers for $10.50 for some time now. This may be part of some new pricing strategy in case you use your 40% coupon.  

I believe those higher prices are MSRP prices set by Tamiya.  Since these are different than regular Tamiya paints, it is feasible that they will charge more for them.

Edited by peteski

16 hours ago, peteski said:

I believe those higher prices are MSRP prices set by Tamiya.  Since these are different than regular Tamiya paints, it is feasible that they will charge more for them.

That may be. i haven't seen any of the "New" Tamiya paints around here. I bought a can of TS-21 Gold today for. $6.43 and this is the paint product I was thinking of when I made my comment.  

26 minutes ago, espo said:

That may be. i haven't seen any of the "New" Tamiya paints around here. I bought a can of TS-21 Gold today for. $6.43 and this is the paint product I was thinking of when I made my comment.  

Ok then, I got confused because this thread is specifically about TS-83 and TS-84 and they extra high price (compared to other Tamiya spray paints).  They seem to be more expensive, not because Tamiya raised prices, but because those are special types of paint.

2 minutes ago, peteski said:

Ok then, I got confused because this thread is specifically about TS-83 and TS-84 and they extra high price (compared to other Tamiya spray paints).  They seem to be more expensive, not because Tamiya raised prices, but because those are special types of paint.

I just went and looked at my paint stash and I don't have either of those numbers myself. I have bought their metallic paints before, not these numbers , and don't recall paying a premium for them. I'll take a look next week when I go into town. 

I bought a can of gold to do the wheels on this kit:

A7473FD5-0B02-4D32-95DE-436F26505D4D.jpeg

I have Alclad pale gold but it’s really pale, so hopefully the Tamiya gives me the “look”. I will probably decant and spray with AB as the can tends to waste a lot. 

Edited by Erik Smith