Model Cars Magazine Forum

Design Pitch: MPC Retro "Forever 80s" collection

Stef

Wow, everyone, I am impressed and overwhelmed with all of the interest, support, and insights on this initiative! Thank you all!

It's too much and too fast for me to respond; will do my best!

We will catalogue old MPC kits and variants, assess the last time they were reissued, and put together a master list to start culling through and/or voting on everyone's favourites.

11 hours ago, stevez said:

I luv that pro street mustang!! was that ever re-released?  Anyone have one?

Hello @stevez, if you're talking about the Mustang II pro street, I had the yellow one, and loved it. Was reissued in the "AutoScape" series awhile back, so it should still be available for reissue.

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Truthfully , I'd be VERY happy to see some of the MPC 80's promo / annual kits again ; mainly , the excellent Celica & Supra kits ( with NEW tyres , please... the c.1989 Gatorbacks would be passable ,and certainly better than the ad nauseam B.F. Goodrich tyres in 99.9% of MPC's 80's offerings . 

The E-150 kit hasn't seen the light-of-day in at least 40 years . It's a great companion to the AMT E-150 ; each offering presented unique changes .

The C/K Pickup ( Dust Devil et al. ) would be great to see again . Round2 would "have to" backdate the front clip to represent a 1973-1979 model ( yes , there are year-to-year grille changes ) ; the original bench seat interior tub would be a great option in addition to the later buckets & console arrangement . Oh , and DEFINITELY a two-wheel-drive suspension as well (and maybe some newly-tooled plain steel wheels with hubcaps like the 1978 D-100 and 1977-1978 Monaco) .

Those early-mid 80's MPC offerings have a deep sentimental value to me . Seeing them reminds me of Saturday morning grocery shopping with my mum , when I'd burn my weekly allowance on the MPC kits at the Alpha-Beta ( and video games ,too ). Certainly , those weren't the best kits ( pitch-black glass ; and miles-deep plating on the chrome tree ) but they were OUR  generation's kits --- and they left an indelible marque on our minds as a representation of fun and freedom .    

You are on fire, @1972coronet! I never got the Supra or Celica, and want them as much now, as I did back then!

Agree about the BF Goodrich "snow tires"; Round2 could possibly strip the sidewalls and tampo print them. Or, they could throw in their newer tampo printed Polyglas F60-15 tires, and/or their larger L60-15 cousins. The upcoming 70 GTO superstocker features nice fatties that were featured in many of these old kits, and have now had their sidewalls stripped, with Good Year lettering tampo'd on.

Also agree on the Chevy/GMC C/K trucks. While I'm no expert on these, there is limitless potential here.

And of course, 128,000% agree on the nostalgia factor. I love these kits so much; they fill me with warm childhood/teen memories of building, customizing, trading, and collecting with friends. The sleepovers. The drawings, sketches, and plans. The HOT ROD magazines. The fighting over who gets the last couple drops of gloss black out of that Testors bottle at 11:30 pm on a Saturday night. The loitering and window shopping. The snatching up several kits at once. The bragging rights over getting the first, or last, kit in town. The listening to ZZ Top's Eliminator on cassette, slamming back summer hamburgers, and chugging Coca Cola by the gallon. Those were the days.

We're gonna bring 'em back, boys.

Here's a mostly-complete collection of MPC's 80s kits, with some variants. Not all of these have super cool names, but many have bespoke, stylized titles/logos.

Some of these, such as the 88 Daytona, 88 Beretta, and 69 Olds 442, came in at the end of MPC's run, but each of these could be folded back into the collection, since they all have custom street machine-y parts.

Many of these have been reissued over the years, so there is so much potential for us.

I envision:

- 8 kits for the series

- the creation of a "Forever 80s" logo/badge that goes onto each box, with a "1 of 8", "2 of 8", etc., and "Collect them all!" callouts, to really get the collectors fired up

- everything molded in white

- new Harry Bradley-esque decals designed for each kit

- cool new names, new logos, new box art models, in new colour schemes, with new decals, all built box-stock (no aftermarket parts or detailing), professionally photographed and retouched (no illustrations or renderings)

- emulate MPC's 80s box top brand aesthetic, to the letter

- main focus on American muscle/street machine cars, with inclusion of trucks, 4x4s, vans, jeeps, convertibles, pro streets, oddballs, etc.

- optional glass colours

- pad printed tires

- expanded decal sheets to include stock graphic packages, gauge clusters, scripting, marker lights, etc.

- while it would be AMAZING to pack these kits with new parts, corrections, and/or backdating, I realize this would be asking a whole lot. I'd err on the side of straight reissues, unless serious marketing dollars would be invested into the series.

- Many of us might be open to the idea of having select AMT kits rebranded as MPC kits in this series. Round2's recent 69 Plymouth GTX pro street comes to mind, and would fit in well

Let's start narrowing down our choices, picking our faves, and seeing which tools are still kicking around that can be used. Let's make this happen.

80s_mpc_kits_01.png

80s_mpc_kits_02.png

Very cool ideas. I remember seeing those MPC kits on the shelves, and remember collecting the "golden wheels."

The only thing I would add:

I could do without any MPC Fieros. 🤮

I like the 3rd gen Firebirds, but they desperately need new wheels. The 3rd gen Camaros are pretty good, IIRC.

I would LOVE to see the TurboZ or SuperZ rereleased. If you want to build an `80 or `81 Z28, your options are super limited, and those look great when built up. 

turboz_and_superZ.jpg

33 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

I would LOVE to see the TurboZ or SuperZ rereleased. If you want to build an `80 or `81 Z28, your options are super limited, and those look great when built up. 

Hello, @Hawk312, I agree, these kits are awesome, and I built BOTH as a kid. I believe the last issue was the red "Pro Street" kit, released in 84, 85, or 86. I don't recall AMT, ERTL, RC2, or Round2 ever reissuing any of these kits. The 3rd gen Camaro is a MUST to come back for this series. With all of the crazy and numerous variants MPC offered on the 3rd gen Camaros, I certainly hope someone out there has the tools, ready to bring 'em back.

21 hours ago, Ron Warner said:

I'm not an "industry insider" like so many of the posters here seem to be, but from what I've noticed every time Round2 has unearthed a kit from this era and re-released it in any form, they've been big enough sellers to get multiple issues. To my point: The Jeepster Commando is on either the second or 3rd reissue, the Fall Guy kit (Deserter) seems to have been done in several runs and available constantly for a couple of years now, and a bunch more were treated to a bit of tooling restoration and have been issued multiple times in "more vintage" forms. 

I have no idea what Round2's planning consists of, or what (if any) thought goes into what to reissue/why. Maybe it makes perfect sense to reissue the death-warmed-over MPC '69 Camaro tool, the super-common '68/9 B-body Mopars (and all the other late-90s AMT molds) but I'm not sure it has sunk in that the stock '75/6 Gremlin kit has been issued how many times since they restored the tooling? That one took some investment but I don't think I'm wrong when I say might be at least 4 issues (flat box/regular box/different year and then reissues of those).It would seem there have to be a bunch of the 70s/80s molds that haven't been issued since that could run as-is with little or no tooling changes/restoration that would be successful. Also plenty of "lost forever" stuff seems to miraculously turn up: when the molds are searched magically "lost" stuff reappears when it's looked for. The hobby today versus 1998 is very different as far as what is viable.  Final point: While I'm glad that Round2 spent the money to restore the long-bed Dodge D150, they could run the 1982 Bronco tool right now, zero investment. RC2 did one as a hobby show run not long ago. Just saying it's one example...there's a lot of that MPC stuff that's there but has been gathering dust. 

Great idea, if nobody asks we might not get.

Hello @Ron Warner, you bring up so many good points! You're right that when Round2 has a hit, they're quick to offer up alternate reboxings/versions, for sure. True, we don't always know what the long-term forecasts are, though I've heard it said that some kits are on a 10-year rerelease cycle, while others are more frequent, and others,...may never come back at all. Even if the tooling for MPC's Cavalier and EXP are available, right here, right now, would anyone (besides me), be clamouring to get 'em? I certainly hope a lot of us old dudes would want them!

You're also right about how things just mysteriously appear out of thin air; their recent 64 Olds is a fantastic example of this.

And yes yes yes, I want the MPC 82 Bronco to come back so hard. I missed the 2005-2006-ish AMT rerelease when I had the chance. Kill me now.

I just made a recent post in this thread of dozens of 80s MPC box tops that catalogues a solid majority of their kits. Certain to bring back some memories, I'm sure there's lots there that we model fiends want to come back!

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

I'd like to see the "Custom Corvette" (ex-Mako Shark II) again. Of course, it would be even WAY cooler if Round 2 could/would restore it to original Mako Shark II specs. 

I agree, @Snake45, the Custom Corvette was one of my faves, and at the time, I had no idea of its Mako Shark origins. Both are worth bringing back, for sure!

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Weren't those molds upgraded into the new, improved Malco Gasser and reissued just a few years ago? 

Ha ha, @Snake45, I think you're right, though I've never built any of those flip nose kits. Would love to. I was thinking of the yellow Mustang II pro street.

15 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I'll try to re-link those pics.

One of my favorites as well, I remember butchering the decals as a teen in the early-mid 80's.

I absolutely feel the same way!

Thank you, @Dragonhawk1066, I just paged through the entire 1985 MPC catalogue and WOW, that brings back so many memories! Thank you for that! This is exactly what I'm talking about; bringing back the vibe from those old days and those classic kits. I'm very grateful many of these kits are coming back, and the new box art is... OK... for the most part, though I really want to recapture that inimitable 80s design aesthetic with all-new art that will make people go: "Wow, I never even knew about that version, I want to get it!"

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

What? The '67 Corvette doesn't make the list, either as the Streaker or the Night Stalker? :blink:

Not that we really NEED that one back, of course, but it's still better and more desirable than a few of the others....:unsure:

Ha ha, @Snake45, I recently posted here a couple contact sheets of a solid majority of MPC's 80s kits, including TWO Night Stalker Corvettes, and TWO Dust Devils! Enjoy the memories!

13 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Luckily, some of these kits have been unscrewed and brought back to their former and original glory

MPC "Ohio George" Montgomery AA/Gas Supercharged 1967 Mustang "Malco  Gasser" | eBay

Multi-Maverick, MPC 1-0740-225 (1970)

Factory Sealed Bill Shrewsberry's L.A. Dart and 15 similar items

Yes, thank you for these, @Daddyfink! Never built any of these, and they would ALL be really cool models in the series!

NEXT STEPS:

- I/we need to reach out to people at Round2. Not seeing much action on LinkedIn. Anyone know who I could reach out to? Emails, phone numbers, etc.

- I need to make a couple boxtop mockups; design at least ONE solid concept and post it here. Which model would you like me to start with?

- We need to start thinking up some cool 80s names, like: Master Blaster, Razor's Edge, Magnum Force; stuff like that

- I need to create a couple "Forever 80s" logo concepts, and pitch them here for community feedback

- We're going to need graphic designers (I'll volunteer myself for this role, heh), plus builders, photographers, decal makers, etc. This may be a crowdsourcing/community effort to get Round2's attention

- Let's organize and mobilize!

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd like to see the "Custom Corvette" (ex-Mako Shark II) again. Of course, it would be even WAY cooler if Round 2 could/would restore it to original Mako Shark II specs. 

I'd have to agree on this. Restoring the tooling with an accurate wheel & tire combination and making it so that those sidepipes are just an optional extra would be something I'd welcome. 

8 hours ago, Stef said:

Thank you, @Dragonhawk1066, I just paged through the entire 1985 MPC catalogue and WOW, that brings back so many memories! Thank you for that!

Stef, you're welcome! I in turn, thank you for making this post. So many fond memories of these kits from my early teens to mid twenties rushing back into my head! At some point in time, I owned at least 30 of those 80's MPC kits from those two groups you posted. And my brother probably owned just as many, although not all the same. So many of those would be awesome to see again, although I would run out of money and space if too many were re-released too quickly, lol!!!

It’s gonna be a problem bring some of these back. Off the top of my head, here are some that I think the tooling has been altered beyond their original early ‘80’s forms: 

3rd gen Camaro (this was updated annually through 1992). It would be a great one to bring back, but it would ultimately come back as a ‘92, and would no longer fit the design theme you’re going for. 

6th Gen Mustang (updated to about 1988). Recently rereleased. Same as above re: the theme. 

3rd Gen Firebird (updated to about 1992, but the Knight Rider version  was recently rereleased, so perhaps there is more than one tool for these Firebirds?). 

Those are tricky, because they were Sooooo ‘80’s. It would be tough to do a series like this without  some of them. 

I think there are excellent candidates based on the general interest there is in these cars and trucks, they would be good sellers with their original 80’s graphics: 

Toyota Celica

Gen 2 / 1981 Camaro

Ford Bronco

Ford Van (although some digging / reconfiguring would be needed for some of the custom parts and/or 2wd/4wd variants). 

Funny Cars (Corvette, Firebird, Omni). 

Any Jeep CJ kits. 

I think the muscle cars would be best done with the retro treatment that most of the other muscle cars have already been getting. Some good examples of this are the ‘73 Mustang, ‘78 Dodge Pickup, and the ‘74 “GTX” Road Runner. They seem to be very popular sellers, and a TON of value was added with the new boxes, decals, and the corrected parts.

The MPC ‘72 Chevelle, ‘74 Charger, ‘67 Corvette and ‘74 Cuda as examples could REALLY benefit from the same treatment (stock parts, ‘70’s retro boxes and stock graphics), but that does not mean that they would have to leave out the parts that were added in the ‘80’s. The ‘72 GTO was recently rereleased several times and still comes with everything, including the decals, needed for it’s 80’s form. For these cars, an ‘80’s side panel on the box could call the ‘80’s building versions and parts out, and optional dark tinted windows would be a plus. 

The Mako Shark, Hemi Hunter, and Pro Stock/ Gasser kits could also be done with appropriate ‘60’s or early ‘70’s retro boxes, but could still include an “80’s idea pack”- decals, instructions and a color printed card showing their ‘80’s alter egos. 

I'd be keen on some Malaise Era decal racers :

- Chevette 

- Monza 

- EXP

- Cavalier 

Naturally , with all of their stock parts as well ( and the new-tool chassis from the Grumpy's '72 Vega to replace the moulded-on-exhaust Monza plate ) .

With the exception of the Monza , these weren't really issued but once ( the Chevette was issued under a few guises , however ) , so their tooling --in theory-- should be in great condition .

No one ever mentioned the late Fiero GT kit. Few on eBay, great kit. Great looking car with nice V6 unlike early boxy lump with 4. 
I’d forgotten about it, never saw at shows. Got F/S for price of current kit. 

19 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I wouldn't mind another Beretta

I walked away from an unbuilt MPC Beretta at last week's toy show. If the guy still has it next month, should I get it? What's it worth? :unsure:

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I walked away from an unbuilt MPC Beretta at last week's toy show. If the guy still has it next month, should I get it? What's it worth? :unsure:

I would say $25-35 would be a reasonable price. It is entirely possible it could be more. I haven't really looked at them on eBay, as I've had other priorities for OOP. I should see if I can salvage my '88 I bought when I was 12...in 1988.

Charlie Larkin

13 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I would say $25-35 would be a reasonable price. It is entirely possible it could be more. I haven't really looked at them on eBay, as I've had other priorities for OOP. I should see if I can salvage my '88 I bought when I was 12...in 1988.

Charlie Larkin

IIRC it was around a '92 model, and I believe it's the same boxing I built right around that time just because I liked the beautiful turquoise paint Chevy laid on them last year. 

IF he still has it, I could probably get it from this vendor for $20, maybe even less. So you think I should get it? I'm not that wild to build another one, but it's always good to pick up stuff with good "swap fodder value." B)

41 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

IIRC it was around a '92 model, and I believe it's the same boxing I built right around that time just because I liked the beautiful turquoise paint Chevy laid on them last year. 

IF he still has it, I could probably get it from this vendor for $20, maybe even less. So you think I should get it? I'm not that wild to build another one, but it's always good to pick up stuff with good "swap fodder value." B)

I've got a set of almost NOS carpeted floor mats in red, NOS front air dam, and NOS wheel trim ring if anyone is restoring a real Beretta (mine was a '91 I ordered new)