Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Paint over Rustoleum 2X Primer

Yup.  Rust-Oleum 2X Flat Gray primer is what I always use. I airbrush craft acrylic paints and Tamiya acrylic paints.  Here is a 65 Impala body I primed in Rust-Oleum Flat Gray that I shot Tamiya X-7 red acrylic paint over.  

Tamiya X-7 Red.jpg

20210423_101356.jpg

Edited by Zippi

1 hour ago, 64SS350 said:

Test it on something. I have a supply of plastic spoons for that reason. I also keep them as reference, noting the base coat and actual color.

X2. The Tamiya rattle cans are a laquer, but not a really hot one.

Edited by NOBLNG

Whether on a house, a 1:1 car, or a model, when you are using materials from different manufacturers (or even different paint systems from the same manufacturer)...test, test, and test again before putting the stuff on anything of importance.

9 hours ago, Mark said:

Whether on a house, a 1:1 car, or a model, when you are using materials from different manufacturers (or even different paint systems from the same manufacturer)...test, test, and test again before putting the stuff on anything of importance.

Word!  😀

I'd be loathe to using anything from Rust-Oleum, seeing as how they have decimated the Polly Scale, Floquil, and Testors lines after acquiring them.  Their actions suggest that they don't want any money from hobbyists, so why give them any?

3 hours ago, Mark said:

I'd be loathe to using anything from Rust-Oleum, seeing as how they have decimated the Polly Scale, Floquil, and Testors lines after acquiring them.  Their actions suggest that they don't want any money from hobbyists, so why give them any?

Yea, but I can understand it from a business stand point.  They can do small runs of hobby paint with limited sales outlets or run the big cans of spray paints 24/7 that they can put in every Walmart, Lowe’s, Target, Home Depot etc across the country!   

Sad for hobbies but a fact of life.

Another brand to avoid, I guess.  Or, to put it into language they can understand, "transition away from Rust-Oleum products in order to provide the needed synergy for the company to more closely target their desired demographic..."

2 hours ago, Bobdude said:

You people can do what you wish,but after paying $30.00 + dollars for a kit,there's no way I will be using Rust-Oleum or Krylon paint.

Good point. If the rustoleum crazes the plastic there is no savings by using cheap paint. 

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

I have used and occasionally use Rustoleum and Krylon short cuts paint. I use it over Tamiya primer.  I have yet to have any paint troubles. I have had more trouble out of the Testors paint when it was Testors.  I use Tamiya mostly but sometimes you need a color they don’t have.