Model Cars Magazine Forum

Antique Piece From 1920-30s

Tom Geiger

DD201306-41D2-4901-AD85-2D0A1078E213.jpeg.0a7808ff41ef3c2fb084ee0f603dc217.jpeg

Here’s a little piece I own that I just came across the photos, so I thought I’d share.

My Uncle Dan built this when he was young, probably in 1920-30s. I retrieved it while cleaning out his house after he died. 

BE0E9C92-FAD6-4133-825D-406E0FF8A0A8.jpeg.e9aa7f50b18db55029d7d1e8a7175099.jpeg

All fashioned from odd bits, there’s a fisherman on the dock, his boat and don’t miss his dog!

A5A465AC-80BA-4A1E-9476-59CA0990A225.jpeg.cd18bf97f7b3992e7c6f5916bff2f792.jpeg

FBA4DA54-006C-4F91-89DD-BC5931CD08FD.jpeg.33ac38545dcdb3e651252f9eb06dacb6.jpeg

All made in the base of an old tin can.  

It shows that creative people made things way before there were kits. 

A bit of my family legacy and maybe even folk art. It’s in one of my display cases today.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love this sort of thing. Thanks for sharing. One of my older aunts knew I was into model building, and one day she showed me some miniatures her uncle had made for her. It was a miniature tea serving, consisting of a teacup, saucer, and a small teapot. Each was made by him from a half of a black walnut, using his pocket knife, and rubbing them on a sandstone step on his front porch to smooth them. They were so carefully crafted, and when I think of the care and time that went into them, it makes me appreciate when people speak of "simpler times. I don't know who ended up with them, but I hope someone in the family somewhere cherishes them.

• 2 months later...

Truly a small treasure,  You are lucky to have a small piece your Uncle made, most of us just have memories or photos to remember those not with us. Hopefully it will remain in your family for a long time.  He did a very nice job on it, a lot of creativity on display.

• 4 weeks later...

That is way cool.  You had the sense to keep it. Others may have looked at it and tossed it. I like pieces like this, you can hold it and look at and almost see some kid building it. On a wooden porch with the dog near by. Maybe the kids mom telling him to be sure and clean up your mess. Or maybe dad coming home and seeing his son building it and asking if those are his tools and that the kid better make sure they go back where they belong. At any rate from an era long gone by. Maybe your uncle was building it and looked to the future hoping someone or some kid would find it and think of him and that great era.  Who knows maybe it was like a piece for a 4H competition  or show. Yeah my imagination gets the best of me at times.