Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Camaro Lowrider

JollySipper

Hey, guys.... I just got this kit today. It's the '70.5 full bumper Camaro. This looks like a really good kit with a lot of parts! Plan is to make this into a lowrider......

951551236_camarofirst001.JPG.f72ffe821a460b9039afdba569ab392b.JPG

I'll be trying to make this look more like a base Camaro, without the spoilers and such....

Just wanted to show my plan for this, feel free to comment if you'd like!

4 hours ago, David G. said:

I have to say, I've never seen a lowrider Camaro. This should be interesting.

David G.

Gary Seeds did a sweet one years back. That's the one that gave me the idea for it. Had always planned doing a Rootbeer paint with gold and silver pinstripes.

Later-

Just wanted you guys to see the progress on the engine. I've put a couple pins in the proper places so I can route the heater hoses to them.....

1436714282_camaroengwork001.JPG.7c933226c77154aaf43d1b48683bae3a.JPG

Here's where it is at now. I used real engine enamel for the block......

1413808603_camaroengwork002.JPG.506b5a9d23505d82c8265647dc7b5135.JPG

That's where I am today, just needing to paint what's left of the engine assembly and finish it up.... Next I need to get on the suspension to set the ride height where I want it. That will be the next task, which with this kit and the way the suspension is designed, it will be easy to get it lowered......

Thanks for the interest, and feel free to comment!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Just wanted you guys to see the progress on the engine. I've put a couple pins in the proper places so I can route the heater hoses to them.....

1436714282_camaroengwork001.JPG.7c933226c77154aaf43d1b48683bae3a.JPG

Awesome idea!!  It may not be new but it is new to me.

Today I've been working on making some wheel backs. I've turned the parts on the left into the parts on the right.

1737730564_camaromockone001.JPG.c627619c654aebc05429eb990b868480.JPG

Also I've been trying to see how this is gonna sit at the stock height. I needed to do this to see how much I want to lower it. The rear will be easy to lower, since the axle sits on top of the leafs and they are separate pieces.

351979536_camaromockone002.JPG.486ccc83e2391a80d0c559a9f84d3ac8.JPG

1556364315_camaromockone003.JPG.a907fcd76220f6899c4b5b3b04ea3f78.JPG

Looking at the front suspension, I could just flip the spindles, but that results in a bunch of negative camber, so I may have to make some spindles.

So, this is how it sits at the stock height, next we'll see what some blocks for the rear and new spindles will do...

That's progress up to today! Please comment if you'd like.....

23 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Interested to see what it takes to lower this kit.

I've seen your scratch built frames, man, you wouldn't have any trouble lowering this one.... ALL the suspension bits are separate pieces. I'll even be able to use the kits rear shocks!

I believe I've got the ride height where I like it.... I had to use a different wheel/tire combo, as the spokes had too small a tire and the front suspension was bottomed out. These wheels allow for some lowering without the lower control arms being on the ground. These flippers give the mock-up a little different vibe, but I think they look good....

485860819_camaroridemock001.JPG.fc04f2b4e0bb67bae5f2140d89de10da.JPG

591563406_camaroridemock002.JPG.17713459574d47e1110588ad4f23026c.JPG

What do you guys think? Are these wheels a winner?

Thanks, and comment freely......

I think the first set looked better.

Suspension scraping the road...? When has that ever stopped a lowrider?  :D

maxresdefault.jpg.0e0787c51230e1a4ff2f3e84f5f2abfb.jpg

Seriously though, I do remember seeing some Camaros sporting wheels like the first set you tried and they looked pretty good that way. I think if you can find a way to make them work, that would be the way to go.

David G.

1 hour ago, David G. said:

I think if you can find a way to make them work, that would be the way to go.

I feel you, man... I'm not crazy about these either. It makes it look more custom than lowrider... I have another set of spoke wheels I'll try today, we'll see how they might work out.......

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

I feel you, man... I'm not crazy about these either. It makes it look more custom than lowrider... I have another set of spoke wheels I'll try today, we'll see how they might work out.......

Maybe a bit of positive camber would raise the ground clearance? I seem to remember seeing that back in the day too.

After all, the only thing you need between the K-member and the road is daylight.

David G.

Edited by David G.