Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Ford Shelby Mustang GT-500

Cool Hand

So I collected/purchased the magazine parts for near on two years and had it all stored away waiting for the last issue. Well that was over two years ago.

Now its all taking up valuable space in the hobby room. So I need to get it built and thought do a wip thread to share something different and hopefully keep me motivated.

Wont be straying from far the instructions and what's provided. Just some paint detail and maybe some small added details. Dont want to get carried away, just get it built.  

Im sure most are aware of what this is and have seen it before, so il just show a pic of what issue im working from and pic's of progress as it gets built.

pM44wQC.jpg

Over view of all the parts

O3KMedu.jpg

lYKF5UJ.jpg

L2rQMrq.jpg

WMjmUZh.jpg

Issue 1 has the lower grille which il paint matt black.

g4AmazF.jpg

And the main grill is in issue 4

zzgqfSh.jpg

Issue 4 parts.

vBZVIxn.jpg

So got both grille's out of each issue.

Q1Z5MJ1.jpg

Gave them a quick scuff with some sanding sponge.

xTz28r8.jpg

And etched primed.

dkwyzfr.jpg

zuumM7M.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

1 hour ago, David G. said:

I've always been curious about the quality and construction of these serial mail-order kits. I'll definitely be following along.

What you've done so far looks great.

David G.

There is a post on this forum of Mr. obsessive and he describes all the good aspects of this kit and what he improved or corrected along the way.  One thing for sure it is a heavy model when completed.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:11 PM, David G. said:

I've always been curious about the quality and construction of these serial mail-order kits. I'll definitely be following along.

What you've done so far looks great.

David G.

At the moment I can only say the quality of the parts is very good and I did thoroughly inspect all after getting each issue. I guess fitment and construction will be determined along the way of the build. 

On 10/5/2021 at 11:13 PM, vamach1 said:

There is a post on this forum of Mr. obsessive and he describes all the good aspects of this kit and what he improved or corrected along the way.  One thing for sure it is a heavy model when completed.

Yeah followed Bill Geary's build and will be using some of the things I learnt from his wip thread. Yep its going to very weighty for sure. 

10 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

That is going to be quite impressive once built... I'll be watching this one...

Going to be a monster compared to everything else ive built. 

Edited by Cool Hand

Issue 2

H6UByY5.jpg

Issue 2 parts

vXI7iLt.jpg

After seeing Mr Obsessive's build , I liked what he did with wheels to make them look more like the 1:1's. So I thought id use the spare wheel to practice on before doing the 4 roller's. That way if I mess up and it dont work I can hide it in the boot/trunk.

So dug out the parts from issue 64 which is the spare wheel.

4k1iIee.jpg

tR1xFYl.jpg

wEgySSD.jpg

4sal0Tz.jpg

Dunked the wheel in some GP thinners, to strip the paint.

DOJYpV6.jpg

Worked a treat and was easily removed.  Then used a steelo pad to clean it up to this stage. Next will give it a polish.

yFxru5Q.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

Polished with some Autosol

7c4asQI.jpg

Comparison so far.

JVpbJfk.jpg

Dug out the all the rims and removed the valves as it will make polishing easier and will scratch build some new better detailed valves.

weg2ozt.jpg

Drilled 1.5mm holes for replacement valves to locate into, all 4 are currently in the GP thinners overnight and will be stripped and cleaned tomorrow.

MyyK66I.jpg

• Like 1

So finally after a bit of messing around got the wheels done.

Applied some of this clear lacquer after washing the polished rims.

VVGnykv.jpg

Made a masking shield.

BUolPsf.jpg

vU2p8FS.jpg

For blacked out area's used this acrylic primer as it was the just the right sheen. And main reason was to easily remove the excess and not effect the clear coat.

NxVUY3t.jpg

Read that the tyre's were difficult to put on the rim, 100% agree it was quite a challenge.

5P7ydM3.jpg

Also flat spotted the four rollers.

jmHfYUZ.jpg

Building at this rate its going to probably take me another two years to complete LOL!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...