Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from Massachusetts

Marc1969

C56EEF95-7B07-4644-A91B-FEA57D9327BF.thumb.jpeg.98bab4018cb7cad6b00e5c85c05a41df.jpegHello, 

My name is Marc and I have just taken up the hobby again in Jan 2021, as a Covid Hobby. I built a few models as a kid, but nothing crazy. I have fallen in love with American Muscle, Ford/Cobra are my favorites. Fell in love with the cobra 427 in my teens, reading an article about owners taping a $100 bill to the dash. They would run a 1/4 mile and if the passenger could grab it, it was theirs. The curves of the car are amazing. Anyway, I did a few armor vehicles and didnt enjoy like I did building a automobile. This is my first love in modeling. I have just completed model number #10, since Jan 2021. (2 armor, 2 planes, 1 small boat and 5 cars) Each has gotten better, but have so much to learn. I have viewed many of the boards, the work bench and under glass boards. You guys do some amazing builds/work. I am attaching a picture of my last build. Scales finishes Ford Lead foot gloss enamel and Eleanor black stripe gloss enamel. Alclad dark/black chrome. The contrast of gloss/metallic stripes and flat grey looks good to my eye. First time striping a car and just eyed it. Probably not the correct method, but not to bad using the plumbers eye, 👍. Hope to enjoy the hobby even more with some other like minded modelers. Take care and hope you say hey. Marc58117A8E-5520-4EF3-92B2-A75C4BEB7489.thumb.jpeg.0f7cb0d4a6680ca6a88ad86deca62094.jpeg1A16D98B-691A-4EA5-8B7E-DF0B31378A18.thumb.jpeg.6422d45f2661a4928c2b68b8840690cb.jpegAC3ABEDA-D3F8-4CCA-9314-4D8C28817900.thumb.jpeg.58b22b4d696aa8ee2d0e46d9b30b6c83.jpegFDB92EAD-9569-4CCB-B4C5-D3BC1D294F38.thumb.jpeg.5e66e4477d9355cb676f9aad72a4a354.jpeg

Edited by Marc1969

Nice job on the Cobra, Marc. Welcome.

I'm in Athol. There's also a good club in WMass called Wings and Wheels, that meets in West Springfield, I believe. There's also a small car-focused club in Springfield, but I can't recall the details.

That said, as a member of Classic Plastic, please do come to visit. We're located in Lowell, and meet on the First Saturday at 1:00 P.M. at the VFW Hall, right off the Lowell Connector.

Charlie Larkin

On 10/14/2021 at 3:05 AM, charlie8575 said:

Nice job on the Cobra, Marc. Welcome.

I'm in Athol. There's also a good club in WMass called Wings and Wheels, that meets in West Springfield, I believe. There's also a small car-focused club in Springfield, but I can't recall the details.

That said, as a member of Classic Plastic, please do come to visit. We're located in Lowell, and meet on the First Saturday at 1:00 P.M. at the VFW Hall, right off the Lowell Connector.

Charlie Larkin

Hey Charlie, thanks for the hello. I live in Agawam. I appreciate the heads up about wings & wheels, west Spgfld. Will see what I can find out. 

Lowell is interesting, but can’t commit, as that’s 2 hrs one way for me. I have been wanting to visit the Hobby Emporium in Tyngsborough, so maybe kill 2 birds, will see? Are there any good shops up in Fitchburg/Leom/Gardner area??

5 hours ago, Marc1969 said:

Lowell is interesting, but can’t commit, as that’s 2 hrs one way for me. I have been wanting to visit the Hobby Emporium in Tyngsborough, so maybe kill 2 birds, will see?

Hobby Emporium and Spare Time Hobby Shop (in Marlboro) are the last 2 remaining "real" brick&mortar, and well stocked hobby shops in Eastern Mass. Hobby Emporium has a huge selection of paints and adhesives, and lots of kits. They also have good selection of model train items (lots of N scale).

On 10/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Marc1969 said:

Hey Charlie, thanks for the hello. I live in Agawam. I appreciate the heads up about wings & wheels, west Spgfld. Will see what I can find out. 

Lowell is interesting, but can’t commit, as that’s 2 hrs one way for me. I have been wanting to visit the Hobby Emporium in Tyngsborough, so maybe kill 2 birds, will see? Are there any good shops up in Fitchburg/Leom/Gardner area??

With Pioneer Valley Hobbies closed, and Craft-Tech in East Windsor's future uncertain, Hobby Emporium is a great choice, so is Spare Time. I can also recommend Hog Heaven in Sturbridge. I've never been, but I've always heard great things about Time Machine Hobby in Manchester, Ct., too.

Here in the North County, we don't have a lot. In West Boylston, there's Turn 4 Hobbies. Mike's a nice guy, and will order whatever you'd like if he doesn't have it. In the Twin Cities and near, there's R/C Excitement in Fitchburg and Shepaug Railroad Co. in Ashburnham.

Good hobby shops are getting harder to find, that's for sure.

Charlie Larkin

21 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Hey, Marc!  Welcome to the "club"!  If you are a Cobra guy drop by Factory 5 in Wareham some day.  They build cars that are patterned after the Cobra as kit cars.  They also do a hot rod version of a '32 Ford.  Good stuff.  Their shop is right off Interstate 195 and 495,

Thanks for the 411. Will keep it in mind, pretty cool they are in Mass, if I ever hit the lotto…..$$$$$

On 10/19/2021 at 12:24 AM, charlie8575 said:

With Pioneer Valley Hobbies closed, and Craft-Tech in East Windsor's future uncertain, Hobby Emporium is a great choice, so is Spare Time. I can also recommend Hog Heaven in Sturbridge. I've never been, but I've always heard great things about Time Machine Hobby in Manchester, Ct., too.

Here in the North County, we don't have a lot. In West Boylston, there's Turn 4 Hobbies. Mike's a nice guy, and will order whatever you'd like if he doesn't have it. In the Twin Cities and near, there's R/C Excitement in Fitchburg and Shepaug Railroad Co. in Ashburnham.

Good hobby shops are getting harder to find, that's for sure.

Charlie Larkin

I am a frequent flyer to Craft-tech and Hog Heaven. Time machine is close to. I think I may go Xmas shopping for myself at Hobby emporium. Try to support brick&mortar if possible. PV Hobbies was 2 mins from house, but I was too late. Will check out the the twin cities shops, as I sometimes   around the rt.2 corridor for work. Have a good one

• 4 months later...