Model Cars Magazine Forum

Superpicker

Does anyone know what wheels  Roy Clark  used back in 1965 on his car Superpicker when he raced it back in 1965? Any idea how long he actively raced? This pic is of the restored car, but I know they didn't have these wheels back then. There is a possibility that  Speedway Decals may do a set for this car.

sc0513-164047_2@2x.jpg

auctions.jpg.6994a06121b27808217739ebf9a9bbf7.jpg

• Confused 1

There seems to be some conflicting information out there on the good old world wide web about this car. Most listing it for sale. Some list it as a Hemi, some as a Wedge. He also had the “Hee Haw Hemi” car. I did find where he was racing this car in the early 90s. Could it be that he wasn’t the one racing this car back in 65 and maybe he restored it and raced it in the 90s giving it the name “Super Picker” then?

I also found that Nostalgia Super Stock was started in 1989 which would go along with this theory.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I never knew RC raced cars.

Reminds me of another country artist who liked to drive fast in a circle, Marty Robbins. 

Boy those southern musicians sure liked to drive fast! You'd think they were hiding something in their trunk while running away from the cops. :rolleyes:

9C156D6A-EAC4-4E05-9685-3B398EFACB8A.png

35 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

There seems to be some conflicting information out there on the good old world wide web about this car. Most listing it for sale. Some list it as a Hemi, some as a Wedge. He also had the “Hee Haw Hemi” car. I did find where he was racing this car in the early 90s. Could it be that he wasn’t the one racing this car back in 65 and maybe he restored it and raced it in the 90s giving it the name “Super Picker” then?

I also found that Nostalgia Super Stock was started in 1989 which would go along with this theory.

I've been searching for info on this subject for some time now, and have come pretty much to the same conclusion, can not find a single picture of the car that goes beyond those that you find where the car is for sale, can not find any pre history either. If it was run back in the day, it must have been under a different name.

The Internet is sometimes a difficult thing to navigate. From everything I can find, Roy Clark had two 1965 Plymouths he raced, this one and an altered wheelbase, fuel injected "funny car"  called the Hee Haw Hemi. 

2v2asqn4LxAVNRq.jpg

This picture is after it was sold and his name was removed from the doors. From everything I can find, picturewise and information, those Weld Prostar wheels are what Roy Clark used on both cars and have been around a long time. As you can see in the background there's a Parts America sign. It's been gone since 1999. I know because I worked for them when Sears sold out to Advance Auto Parts. There were a couple in the world left as independents, but I doubt this is their sponsorship. JMHO, but the web is useful and also contains bad information. Mecums, says the car has original paint and decals from 1965 and Roy was the original driver/owner. Another post I found says Roy sold the Super Stock to Phil and Donna Hayenga in 1993. One final thought Roy Clark released an album in 1969 called Super Picker.

Edited by THarrison351

I have heard/read that Clark did have the car since '65 (maybe '66).  Probably not a lot of info on it from back then...how often did he bring it out, and where did he race it?  He always was busy as an entertainer, even back then.

When he started driving it.

https://www.allpar.com/threads/roy-clark-mopar-racer.216775/

From Weld wheels  website 

Founded in a Kansas City garage in 1967, WELD was the result of a relentless pursuit of speed, durability and safety. The company engineers and produces performance automotive wheels for professional racing, off-road and aftermarket vehicles. WELD wheels are designed and engineered in the USA

So, my info that it was the 80s may be wrong,, but they were not in use in 65. Roy's nickname was superpicker 

Edited by Classicgas

1 minute ago, Classicgas said:

https://www.allpar.com/threads/roy-clark-mopar-racer.216775/

From Weld wheels  website 

Founded in a Kansas City garage in 1967, WELD was the result of a relentless pursuit of speed, durability and safety. The company engineers and produces performance automotive wheels for professional racing, off-road and aftermarket vehicles. WELD wheels are designed and engineered in the USA

So, my info that it was the 80s may be wrong,, but they were not in use in 65.

Pretty sure the pro stars came out in the 80's Lee after the draglites. The company has been around for awhile but actually filed bankruptcy a few years ago.

First let me say; thank you for starting this thead. I am a pretty big Roy Clark fan. It has raised my curiosity about how much he actually raced. I’ve read that he ran the car in early 93 and sold it to Phil and Donna Hayenga in late 93. Donna raced the car until it was sold. I’m wondering if what Mecum meant by original paint and decals is that it was the original from Roy Clarks possession. If I read it correctly (and you guys know more than me) Mecum says it was raced since 65, but doesn’t exactly say if Roy Clark raced it all that time. Whichever the case, it definitely has had several upgrades over the years, which would be expected if it continued to compete. Like has been said before, he could have raced it every week and there not be any photos on the net, but I believe the current look was finished in the late 80s. I also like the 549 reference to Hee Haw as well.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

14 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

I also find it odd that  Mecum doesn't give a detailed history of the car. If it has a history why not lay it out. Something is fishy IMO

These auctioneers have a habit of leaving huge gaps, hoping potential bidders will draw their own conclusions.  "Said to be" (by who?), "reputed to be", and so on...