Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Shelby Mustang Group II

6 minutes ago, RancheroSteve said:

That "damper" is actually the hydraulic ram for the power steering - so yes, it needs to go..

Great work on this so far, JC!

Thanks for the correction Steve - like to have accurate information in my threads.

The export brace is shown on the car in the photo but there is no Monte Carlo bar.  The TdF cars where early '65 ('64-1/2) models, they competed in the 1964 Tour de France (the Mustang's first competitive victory). 

Edited by afx

1 hour ago, afx said:

The export brace is shown on the car in the photo but there is no Monte Carlo bar...

Those actually look more like the stock bracing, and as it was early in the program the true export brace may not have been developed yet... but you're right, I did mean the monte carlo bar was missing.

Possible that irs design they mentioned was the same as the one Mr Geary was replicating in his ongoing mustang project.

65kcdmstgeng.jpg

Edited by mk11
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mk11 said:

Those actually look more like the stock bracing, and as it was early in the program the true export brace may not have been developed yet... but you're right, I did mean the monte carlo bar was missing.

Possible that irs design they mentioned was the same as the one Mr Geary was replicating in his ongoing mustang project.

Thought you might have meant the Monte Carlo bar.

Here is Bill Geary's project with the IRS Mike mentioned if anyone is interested.

photo11-vi.jpg

Edited by afx
  • Like 1

WOW JC! Great work! BTW, thanks for the shout-out!

I did use the rear diff from a parted out Revell Bronco to make that IRS. That's one of the better detailed ones that's out there.

Now that I'm done with the '55 Fairlane, I'll be back working on the Green Hornet with an update in the not too distant future. I'm redoing some bodywork on it that to my eyes wasn't quite right.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

WOW JC! Great work! BTW, thanks for the shout-out!

I did use the rear diff from a parted out Revell Bronco to make that IRS. That's one of the better detailed ones that's out there.

Now that I'm done with the '55 Fairlane, I'll be back working on the Green Hornet with an update in the not too distant future. I'm redoing some bodywork on it that to my eyes wasn't quite right.

Thanks Bill.  Look forward to seeing an update on your project.

I had hoped the Revellogram GT350R kit could provide the correct gauges, unfortunately it only includes the production car cluster.  Therefore I'm settling for the '66 kit gauge cluster installed in my modified dash.

DSCN7760-vi.jpg

The 1:1 gauges:

2v22gUSg8xHzrnL.jpg

Thanks for checking Mike.

I'm really surprised the Revellogram GT350R kit didn't include a decal for the racing gauges. I tried reducing an internet photo but once I get the image small enough there is almost no detail.

Edited by afx

A fellow forum member hooked me up with a set of Johan Stock Car Special tires.  They are molded vinyl. 

After cleaning up flash, sanding down tread and scrubbing sidewalls with abrasive cleaner - I'm happy with the results.

2v2aDnQzFxHzrnL.jpg

Edited by afx
  • Like 1