Model Cars Magazine Forum

DIY display case

You might check a pet supply store for a small fish tank.   I picked up a couple at a Petco.  I think they were $14USD ea.   You can put a few models in one.  It could be turned upside down and put on shelf or make a lid of some sort.    I am always trying to find a good solution for this situation also.     

You could have a look around for acrylic food display cabinets as they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. 

The one I have here is completely dust proof and when you work out the number of cars that can be fitted inside it worked out far  cheaper than buying individual cases.

IMG_8517.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Roncla said:

You could have a look around for acrylic food display cabinets as they come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. 

The one I have here is completely dust proof and when you work out the number of cars that can be fitted inside it worked out far  cheaper than buying individual cases.

IMG_8517.jpeg

That's nice indeed.

19 hours ago, Roncla said:

IMG_8517.jpeg

would you mind measuring that for me!!!! 

11 hours ago, chris chabre said:

would you mind measuring that for me!!!! 

That one is 21 and a half inches wide/ 13 and a half inches deep/   17 and a half inches high.

It has three shelves with each shelf taking up to 6 cars side on and 2 face on.

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

I'm looking for a small case for a single car. It's an AH Sprite and it's only 2" high, 2 1/2 wide and 5 1/2" long. Anyone know a source for something like that?

I don’t know if this will help or not, but I bought a case at Michael’s that was intended for sports memorabilia. I made the simple wood base. The brass pins are just K&S tube to locate the clear cover, and the black surface is fine sand paper, which grabs the rubber tires nicely so the model won’t slide around. I gave the model to my sister for xmas a couple years ago, and was concerned about the thing being handled by the uninitiated. Ultimately not the cheapest option, but served my purpose when I couldn’t find a decent display case locally. 

AA96C990-EA41-4565-8BA0-341075DA1C7D.jpeg

17FF72B4-7656-4302-ACF8-25577BC61D17.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 3:37 AM, Dpate said:

Your best bet is a carney display case.  Little pricey but for $130ish you can hold 24 cars in the case with or without dividers and can have it mirror backed.  https://shop.carneyplastics.com/NASCAR-Diecast-Model-Car-Display-Case-24-Car-124-Scale-P445.aspx

I've already seen publicity for this. But intercontinental shopping makes it just more expensive.🙃

• Like 1

• 7 months later...