Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chevy Impala

ModelcarJR

Thanks, Bill! I appreciate your comment! 

I've been nursing an infected tooth and sinuses so I haven't gotten much done.  The only thing I been able to do is dechrome the console, paint it black and add foil. Most of the foil fell off so I then brushed some of the chrome ink out of my Molotow pen that clogged. Just decals and a little touch-up next. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

• Like 1

Thanks, Chaz, David and James! I appreciate the comments! 

Working on the engine and it had two carbs and two air cleaners in the kit, but the instructions only showed the air cleaner as an option. So I built the front suspension in order to insert the engine with the taller carb so I could make sure the hood would close. I wired the engine with a MAD distributor and added a fuel line and filter since there was room. Now the engine is complete and I can move on. The decals for it say its a 409 but it looks like a 396 to me so I'll have to find other decals for it. I suppose I should also strip and repaint the air cleaner but I'm not going to. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Thanks, Chaz, David and James! I appreciate the comments! 

Working on the engine and it had two carbs and two air cleaners in the kit, but the instructions only showed the air cleaner as an option. So I built the front suspension in order to insert the engine with the taller carb so I could make sure the hood would close. I wired the engine with a MAD distributor and added a fuel line and filter since there was room. Now the engine is complete and I can move on. The decals for it say its a 409 but it looks like a 396 to me so I'll have to find other decals for it. I suppose I should also strip and repaint the air cleaner but I'm not going to. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Looking good. Pretty sure that's a 396. I think the 409 had a dual snout air cleaner. The 65 Impala was the first year of the new 396 engine and I think the 409 was discontinued. 

• Thanks 1

As James D. pointed out the engine in this case represents the 396. The 409 engine was offered at the beginning of the '65 production and was replaced by the 396 around thew first of the year in 1965. The engine callout decals can be found in many of the Chevelle kits from this era. Should you be unable to find any MP me your mailing address.  

Thanks, David! I appreciate offer, but I'm sure I have the decals in my decal drawer somewhere. You would think since Revell had to modify the decal sheet to add the Foose decals they could have corrected the engine and fender decals.  

Not much done yesterday - put the together for the 65 with one whitewall decal and partially rubbed out a 66 Chevy Nova that I has quickly painted on Friday before the weather got bad again. Thanks for looking! 😎

enhance

Thanks, Carl! I appreciate your comment!

It took two days to get here but the body finally meets frame and the engine compartment is done. First, I had to completely re-construct the rear suspension because of the positioning of the rear wheels in the wheel opening. I had to shorten the stem on the universal and the control arms by about 1/8".  I broke one shock but I'll live with it. Next, since the wheels were inboard too far I had to use some debonder to get the wheels off the axles. I then wrapped the axle ends (the part that is suppose to click the wheels onto the axle) with some tape and mounted the wheels on the axle end so that they were closer to the fender wheel openings. Finally, even though I thought I had tested the hood closure with the taller carb, the hood wouldn't close.  So I installed the shorter carb once I had all the plumbing done. I added heater hoses in addition to the kit air conditioning hoses. Here are some pics. Thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhanceenhanceenhance

enhance

Edited by ModelcarJR
spelling and grammar
  • Like 2

Thanks, Guido and Mike! I appreciate your comments!

This one is done.  Nice body, interior, engine but the rear suspension and axles (too short) on the chassis are terrible. I'm not happy with the foil either but I did the best I could with a sheet that is less than optimal. I used painted chrome pen on the rear taillight bezels but they are a bit too big, I think. I would have used foil normally so I could trim it down but couldn't with this sheet.  Here are the photos:

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFwfRmfm8hlBU7nyUA1NFQWyVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1642608257

00-Y-8Yc6DVh--ZPkGITLwl4ftFjzPT9fAvEBf1aalWdFw12qChbQjuZ7arsfvuchOmqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1642608260

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by ModelcarJR
Copy to Under Glass
  • Like 1