Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1970 F-100 4WD to 1969 F-250 2WD

Replicated my 1:1 project truck with the 1/25 scale Moebius 1970 kit.

Made some modifications along the way to turn it into my 1969 F250

On the inside I upholstered the seat, added a dash pad, scratch built steering wheel, added column shift (automatic trans) and turn signal lever, added triple gauges, trailer brake box and fuel tank selector switch.  I built a floor storage box thing and changed clutch pedal to parking brake pedal.  Finally I added seatbelts, a headliner and dome light.

Interior.png

I used the B n L Resins Ford 390 engine to replace the kit engine but modified the kit air cleaner and used that.  I used the front end from a 1971 kit for the front suspension and drive line and added an auxiliary fuel tank.  Put the kit tires on a set of Scenes Unlimited 16" 8 lug wheels and changed from two into one to dual exhaust.  Also scratch build a power steering pump and added that to the engine.

running gear.jpg

I had to sand off the molded on trim on the body.

body.jpg.567321620c734338e994061ca420cdd7.jpg

Edited by Beans
  • Like 1

I plumbed and wired everything I cared to under the hood.

On the outside I added the auxiliary fuel cap and fuel line cover to the bed interior.  I also cut in the bed rail holes which are never present in truck models for some reason.  I had to modify a 1968 grill with a wider center piece since I couldn't find a 1969 grill and modified the rear tail lights to fit without the chrome trim.  Added front and rear side marker lights and an antenna and used the Olson Brothers rear bumper.  I used some black tape to replicate the rear slider window and had to build a whole new windshield because I destroyed the kit one.  

PXL_20211231_205231188.jpg

PXL_20211231_205313328.jpg

PXL_20211231_205328577.jpg

PXL_20211231_205341689.jpg

• Like 2

A perfect replica! Well done. I really like the light patina on the body and the bed floor looks perfect - just like many 1:1s I’ve seen. Can you share your methods for weathering? I’m about to try weathering my ‘67 4x4 build. Thanks!

On 1/4/2022 at 9:37 PM, Matt T. said:

A perfect replica! Well done. I really like the light patina on the body and the bed floor looks perfect - just like many 1:1s I’ve seen. Can you share your methods for weathering? I’m about to try weathering my ‘67 4x4 build. Thanks!

Thanks Matt,

I will try my best to outline my "process".  A lot of it is trial and error.  

Dremel any holes I want before primer.

Primer and paint (keeping to only 1 or 2 coats of body color in areas I am going to distress.

lightly sand through paint to show primer.  

Rust colored paint painted on then dabbed or dry brushed around that to fade it out.

For highly textured areas, I take some weathering pastels, run them over sandpaper and sprinkle some of that (as close to the color I want) onto the wet paint.  It forms a kind of lumpy mush.

Once that is dried I will black wash then rust color wash the area.

Then using lighter rust toned paint, dry brush a highlighted area and blend.

Then if I think it needs a little more or some all over rusty tint, I will dry brush pastels across a bigger area.

For non rusty but weathered or oxidized areas, I will dry brush some light grey or white pastels onto the body after I have done a black wash (or light brown or even green) and it has dried.  

I will also paint chrome parts flat aluminum or simply spray them with a dull flat coat to make them look more tarnished and worn.  

I hope this helps and sorry I didn't take pictures along the way. I will try to create something more tutorial-ish next time I weather a model.

Feel free to reach out directly if you have any questions.

3 hours ago, Beans said:

Thanks Matt,

I will try my best to outline my "process".  A lot of it is trial and error.  

Dremel any holes I want before primer.

Primer and paint (keeping to only 1 or 2 coats of body color in areas I am going to distress.

lightly sand through paint to show primer.  

Rust colored paint painted on then dabbed or dry brushed around that to fade it out.

For highly textured areas, I take some weathering pastels, run them over sandpaper and sprinkle some of that (as close to the color I want) onto the wet paint.  It forms a kind of lumpy mush.

Once that is dried I will black wash then rust color wash the area.

Then using lighter rust toned paint, dry brush a highlighted area and blend.

Then if I think it needs a little more or some all over rusty tint, I will dry brush pastels across a bigger area.

For non rusty but weathered or oxidized areas, I will dry brush some light grey or white pastels onto the body after I have done a black wash (or light brown or even green) and it has dried.  

I will also paint chrome parts flat aluminum or simply spray them with a dull flat coat to make them look more tarnished and worn.  

I hope this helps and sorry I didn't take pictures along the way. I will try to create something more tutorial-ish next time I weather a model.

Feel free to reach out directly if you have any questions.

Thank you! Very big help. Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly explain. I’ll get started on mine and PM you if needed.