Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Freightliner Cabover

Got started on the White Freightliner. So far so good. I haven't run into any of the horror stories I have seen about this kit. Yes the directions are a little vague in some areas, but nothing that I haven't been able to figure out yet. But then again I haven't got started on that 3 piece cab! I did narrow the front track width about .100" by redoing the brake drums.

wf 1.JPG

wf 2.JPG

wf 3.JPG

wf 5.JPG

wf 6.JPG

wf 7.JPG

Some progress on the White Cabover. Frame is nearly done. Working on the muffler now, I will be converting it to single exhaust. Trying to decide what I want to do with the rear fenders, red?, aluminum silver? or leave them off entirely.  Still no major issues with the kit, but that may change as I have started on the 3 piece cab!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

• Like 1

Super clean work! In 1975 at the age of 11, I bought this kit as my first attempt at a big rig. Cost was $4.99 plus two cans of Testors spray paint (light blue, flat black) for $.50 each. I gotta tell you, this one almost killed my enthusiasm for model building, lol.

This year, at 58, I'm going to attempt this one again as a "revenge build" in honor of my 11 year old self. I've already done the same with the Revell Baja Beast and the Revell 57 Chevy Nomad, cursing the entire time.

I built this one recently,twice, there are a few challenges, but overall it is a typical AMT kit. Not bad for the era, well below standards for a modern kit. 

You are doing a great job so far. I like the weathering and colors so far. Have fun with it and don’t allow its issues to get you down. It’s just plastic. 

Its starting to look like a truck now. Finished up the chassis and got started on the dreaded 3 piece cab. Decided the best way was to sand off all the rivets to fill in the seam. I will be replacing them with the Archer rivet decals that some on here have told me about. I did convert it to a single exhaust as this is supposed to be a no frills work truck. Scratchbuilt the muffler with some aluminum tubing and mesh material that I found laying around and heated up and bent the inlet pipe to fit. I really must say that this kit has been nowhere near the nightmare build that I was led to believe it would be. I want to thank everyone for the comments, help,  and suggestions.

w1.JPG

w2.JPG

w3.JPG

w4.JPG

w5.JPG

w6.JPG

• Like 1

Paint and decaled the Freightliner today. Went with Tamiya Park Green paint. I used a darker primer than I normally do which made the green darker. I think its pretty close.  The paint is a little glossier than I would like so I think I am going to do some semi gloss clear over everything.

IMG_9174 (2).JPG

IMG_9177 (2).JPG

IMG_9170 (2).JPG