Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 3D Printing Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 11:11 AM, stitchdup said:

I'm at work this week. i dont have the other computer with me

Did you ever get it figured out? I am no expert, but I have learned a lot from my many failures. I would love to see you get if figured out. 
There is a learning curve. At first I think I was 50% or more failure rate. Now, I think I am closer to 90% successful, but failed prints still happen. However I am getting better at identifying possible failures before they happen because I have seen it fail before. Some parts I look at and just say no, not gonna happen. As I get better, I venture into harder prints, but going in I am prepared for it to be a learning opportunity (read failure).

Anyway, let us know how we can help.

31 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Did you ever get it figured out? I am no expert, but I have learned a lot from my many failures. I would love to see you get if figured out. 
There is a learning curve. At first I think I was 50% or more failure rate. Now, I think I am closer to 90% successful, but failed prints still happen. However I am getting better at identifying possible failures before they happen because I have seen it fail before. Some parts I look at and just say no, not gonna happen. As I get better, I venture into harder prints, but going in I am prepared for it to be a learning opportunity (read failure).

Anyway, let us know how we can help.

Not yet. I've not done anything with it since as i was at the point of losing my temper with it. I'll be trying again over the weekend with normal resin instead of the water washable stuff to see if it the problem.

IT WORKED!!! and i worked out what i was doing wrong too. The final step for the z axis was on the next page of the instructions. all i think i missed was saving the zero for the z axiz. One line of type being on the next page meant i missed it. I printed out a set of wheels and since that worked i now have a 32 3 window body printing. I've reduced the number of supports slightly as they were a bit excessive but i'm just happy i finally got it working and havent spent a grand (had to upgrade my computer too) on an expensive ornament.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

IT WORKED!!! and i worked out what i was doing wrong too. The final step for the z axis was on the next page of the instructions. all i think i missed was saving the zero for the z axiz. One line of type being on the next page meant i missed it. I printed out a set of wheels and since that worked i now have a 32 3 window body printing. I've reduced the number of supports slightly as they were a bit excessive but i'm just happy i finally got it working and havent spent a grand (had to upgrade my computer too) on an expensive ornament.

Way to go, I figured it was something simple. Be sure to show us what you made.

So heres my first sucessful print, a set of raceline rims. I used up my waterwashable for these and there is noticable shrinkage compared to a set of the same i purchased before getting the printer. Its not a great pic.DSC07878.thumb.JPG.6f3d56da685f0945835c23da150e343e.JPG

so after that was a sucess i printed the body for a 32 3 window with 0.05 layer and it worked. It was looking good until i damaged it removing the supports as they were very dense and i didn't think the uv would get through. It has a bit of warpage on the lower body also but that may be because i left it in the water overnight before curing and it softened.  DSC07882.thumb.JPG.a1833b03096afbceb29fca1eb56bdd6d.JPG

DSC07881.thumb.JPG.c097e1fd5efe5aecd95a1a4a8046221a.JPG

• Like 2

And itsall  been downhill from there. My prints are sticking to the resin tank again. I'm using phrozone aqua green resin. I have it set at the settings alreadyDSC07883.thumb.JPG.e0b0a1c305141b86a13ccd00fd6cdf09.JPG in lychee for the resin and i've reset the z axis zero every time the tank or plate has been removed. I've had so many failures the bottom of the tank is now pretty dented. I just cant seem to get the prints to stop sticking. Once the supports reach the print item is when it seems to be failing and sticking to the tank.

DSC07885.JPG

I tried another print with thicker joins between the supports and item. I had a full engine and a set of wheels and tyres but only a couple of parts came out useful and even they are mis-shapen. It seems like theres something strange going on as some parts only print the top half and others only print the bottom of the item while other just print on the tank, even when they are on the same print run. for example the gearbox for the engine was sitting at 45 degrees with the engine end pointed up and it started printing the gearbox from half way along the tailshaft. I've spent a lot of money trying to get this to work and i'm onto my 5th bottle of resin now with only one set of wheels from over 100 quids worth of resin that have turned out well. I've been trying to find somebody local that could give me advice but so far i've only found people that have the plastic filament printers and they cant help. It seems no matter what i try with this machine that it just wants to cost me cash. I follow the settings anycubic recommend and still its a disaster. I'm tempted to just sell the piece of garbage cos its not saved me any cash and i could have bought all the parts i've tried to print for less, even with the ridiculous postage we have now. I'm just sick of the sight of the thing now, 2 months of failures and 4 months rent down the toilet. I've tried everything people have suggested and it just wont do the job its supposed to do. anycubics suggested resin settings on their site are the same for every resin and i tried them with no sucess except 1 set of wheels, i've tried settings from 3d print help pages, forums so i just dont know what to do now. 1200 pounds wasted

13 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I tried another print with thicker joins between the supports and item. I had a full engine and a set of wheels and tyres but only a couple of parts came out useful and even they are mis-shapen. It seems like theres something strange going on as some parts only print the top half and others only print the bottom of the item while other just print on the tank, even when they are on the same print run. for example the gearbox for the engine was sitting at 45 degrees with the engine end pointed up and it started printing the gearbox from half way along the tailshaft. I've spent a lot of money trying to get this to work and i'm onto my 5th bottle of resin now with only one set of wheels from over 100 quids worth of resin that have turned out well. I've been trying to find somebody local that could give me advice but so far i've only found people that have the plastic filament printers and they cant help. It seems no matter what i try with this machine that it just wants to cost me cash. I follow the settings anycubic recommend and still its a disaster. I'm tempted to just sell the piece of garbage cos its not saved me any cash and i could have bought all the parts i've tried to print for less, even with the ridiculous postage we have now. I'm just sick of the sight of the thing now, 2 months of failures and 4 months rent down the toilet. I've tried everything people have suggested and it just wont do the job its supposed to do. anycubics suggested resin settings on their site are the same for every resin and i tried them with no sucess except 1 set of wheels, i've tried settings from 3d print help pages, forums so i just dont know what to do now. 1200 pounds wasted

Yeah, something must be amiss. About the 5 bottles of resin; I filter my used resin with paint filters and reuse it and never had a problem. I know some manufacturers say you shouldn't but I think most people do. Just don't get different types mixed up.

Again, did you ever print the test model that comes with the printer? I suggest resetting all of your settings to factory spec and printing the test cube, or whatever model came with yours. Also, did you run the exposure test? It might tell you if there is an issue with the screen. There is a process for troubleshooting these things and although you are frustrated I think you might want to go through the steps. Good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Yeah, something must be amiss. About the 5 bottles of resin; I filter my used resin with paint filters and reuse it and never had a problem. I know some manufacturers say you shouldn't but I think most people do. Just don't get different types mixed up.

Again, did you ever print the test model that comes with the printer? I suggest resetting all of your settings to factory spec and printing the test cube, or whatever model came with yours. Also, did you run the exposure test? It might tell you if there is an issue with the screen. There is a process for troubleshooting these things and although you are frustrated I think you might want to go through the steps. Good luck.

Agreed - and I’d still be interested in seeing screenshots of the Lychee layouts that aren’t working out

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keyser said:

Cool Golf. Prob need positive offset, but cool. Where are flares from? Is that the Tamiya Golf 1? Want

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

looks like it might be the clipper kit for the mk1 cabrio, the tamiya arches are wider.

Nope! It's this one.  VW Golf BBS from Nitto. :)

20221105_195905.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, keyser said:

Never saw that before. Air dam exactly like the Zender I had on a 1:1 2.0L Cabrio. The hunt begins. 

The decal sheet includes logos from Zender, ABT, Oettinger, and BBS.

It was also reissued as a "Golf BBS Oettinger" with a blue car on the box. 

From what I've found, in reality, this is indeed based on a Mk1 Golf with Zender bodykit.

Very basic kit. Was originally designed to take a motor and battery.

But should look cool when done.

I'll be starting a WIP on it soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

finally got it to work. turns out the exposure was set to 1 second which worked on the water washable resin but not on the normal resin. I also had the contact points for the print supports about half the size they needed to be. I did a print yesterday with a range of different size contact points and 0.5 seems to be working on most items but i'll probably go with 0.6 for a margin of safety. I knew it couldn't be much causing the fails so i'm happy to have it working now. I've left it and come back to it many times.

• Like 1