Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Pro Street

Zippi

50 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I've decided on a 396 chevy engine for mine and am waiting on one I ordered from ebay. Have you decided on a color for yours? 

Hey James.  I'm also using the 396 BB out of the Chevelle kit.  I'd like to be able to close the hood and I have a lower profile intake but I just don't think it's low enough.  Haven't even thought about paint yet.  I do have a Tamiya TS-74 clear red I'd like to try over silver.  I have 3 bodies that need paint.  Just waiting on Spring with the warmer weather. How about yours, got a color in mind?

Edited by Zippi

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

I've decided on a 396 chevy engine for mine and am waiting on one I ordered from ebay. Have you decided on a color for yours? 

Yo James.  I have some videos on my YouTube channel about the 55 Pro Street I'm building that might interest you.  

The Garage With Zippi - YouTube

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zippi said:

Hey James.  I'm also using the 396 BB out of the Chevelle kit.  I'd like to be able to close the hood and I have a lower profile intake but I just don't think it's low enough.  Haven't even thought about paint yet.  I do have a Tamiya TS-74 clear red I'd like to try over silver.  I have 3 bodies that need paint.  Just waiting on Spring with the warmer weather. How about yours, got a color in mind?

I haven't decided on a color yet, just trying to gather up some parts right now. Been piddling around with it, seeing what will need to be done. Looks like the 55 interior may need some modification, I like the Chevelle's minimal interior, may go with it. It will be a while before I get started on it, I want to finish that Foose Impala first. Looking forward to seeing yours, maybe get some ideas. Saw your video, nice work with that. 

Just saw your 2nd update video, good info there. I have the 66 Nova Pro Street, but hadn't thought about using the frame from it. I'll check that out, looks like it would do ok. I may run the hood scoop on mine with open carbs. I also want to use the roll cage from the Chevelle, but not sure how much work it will be to make it fit. 

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Just saw your 2nd update video, good info there. I have the 66 Nova Pro Street, but hadn't thought about using the frame from it. I'll check that out, looks like it would do ok. I may run the hood scoop on mine with open carbs. I also want to use the roll cage from the Chevelle, but not sure how much work it will be to make it fit. 

Thanks James.  Yeah, I may put the velocity stocks on and cut the opening in the hood.  I looked at the roll cage but just haven't got that far yet.  Ill be get go true chassis all dialed in tomorrow.

I got a little work done on the chassis this morning.  I got the front fender wells cut out and the rear fender wells sanded down, got the chassis shorten up, and I got the Evergreen strips glued to the side of the chassis.  I tapped the rear differential in place to work on getting the stance to where I like it.  I think it's looking pretty good. 

20220228_113719.jpg

20220228_101540.jpg

20220228_110216.jpg

20220228_104145.jpg

20220228_103209.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Yea, that's looking sweet.

Thanks James.  I ran into a small issue.  The rear tires need to be moved further out towards the fenders.  Tomorrow I'll modify the differential to push the wheels out further.

20220228_120537.thumb.jpg.bb9923fc28d651bcaafdb753301554cf.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 1

Got a little bench time this morning.  Since the rear end was a little on the short side I had to figure out a way to lengthen it.  I ended up cutting the outer portion of the differential off on both sides and graphing on some stainless steel rivets I had.  Worked out really nice and fit into the wheel backing perfectly.  I also mocked up the intake and carbs to see if it would fit in the engine bay with the hood shut.  Just not sure yet.  I did fit the roll cage out of the 67 Chevelle in the 55 and it could probably work with some tweaking here and there.  Just not sure if I'm going to use it.          

20220228_115540.jpg

20220301_102915.jpg

20220301_103047.jpg

20220301_105101.jpg

20220301_111216.jpg

• Like 1

Looking for a little help fellows.  I don't like the shocks that I have so thought I would make my own.  How would you go about making the round shock mount at the end of the shocks like in the pic?

20220302_124206.jpg

Shock Mount.jpg

• Like 1

I would stack discs of evergreen together to get the stepped profile of the caps. Or you can cut slivers off the end of styrene rod, but can be tricky to get flat slices.

You can buy a leather punch that works great for punching out discs of plastic from sheet. It's like a big hole punch that people that do leather work use to make holes. It has a wheel on it with multiple sizes. Should be about $10

image.png.0e803fae4f527b7b78bf206878c51504.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I would stack discs of evergreen together to get the stepped profile of the caps. Or you can cut slivers off the end of styrene rod, but can be tricky to get flat slices.

You can buy a leather punch that works great for punching out discs of plastic from sheet. It's like a big hole punch that people that do leather work use to make holes. It has a wheel on it with multiple sizes. Should be about $10

image.png.0e803fae4f527b7b78bf206878c51504.png

Thanks for the info Craig.  I think I may have come up with something.  I dug out my old RC plane junk box and came across these.  The are just a tad big but I think they might look ok.    

20220302_134051.jpg

20220302_134104.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Looking great Bob! The low stance looks awesome, nice work on the shocks. I have “thought” about doing that many times, just need to actually try it, you have inspired me. 

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve.  They won't be seen once it's done but I'll know how the suspension is setup.  

On 2/23/2022 at 10:14 AM, Zippi said:

This is the AMT 55 Chevy that I'm putting the AMT 67 Chevelle frame under.  

Excellent idea. I put a Revell Chevelle chassis under an AMT '51 Chevy and with very few mods it fit like a champ. I'll be following yours.

I like those scratch built shocks, and the build in general. Coming along nicely! I say go with the rollcage. 👍

Looks like you've solved the shock attachment problem, but in the past I've rifle-drilled a hole in the styrene shock body and used a section of round toothpick as the "pin."

On 2/27/2022 at 4:32 AM, bluestringer said:

I had a couple of the AMT '57. Pro Street kit and decided that the frame and suspension parts would be a perfect fit under the '55 body and with the tires and wheels from the AMT '67Chevelle kit I am almost ready to get real serious about it. Addendum: got a supercharged big block with fenderwell exit headers from a Chevy Monster Truck kit and since it has a street type set up for cooling AND a modern automatic to use I'm just about ready to start mocking things up, still haven't decided if I want to use the big block base engine and heads from the '57 so all mounts won't need to be changed around, and I was looking for at the front clip from the AMT '70 1/2 Camaro to update the chassis in the front or if I really want to use some put back rare things I have a complete Mustang II front suspension set up from the Revell Beatnik Bandit II and that would be even a little more up to date for a street driver type because if I really want a Pro Street car it would require building (or robbing) the more modern McPherson strut type front suspension from a modern style Pro Street but I'm not building a Lutz type tri five all out race car, just a loud obnoxious in your face old style Pro STREET, emphasizing the STREET for its main purpose, it's a big stop light cruiser that would be one of my "bucket list" cars .😊

On 2/28/2022 at 5:58 PM, Zippi said:

Thanks James.  I ran into a small issue.  The rear tires need to be moved further out towards the fenders.  Tomorrow I'll modify the differential to push the wheels out further.

20220228_120537.thumb.jpg.bb9923fc28d651bcaafdb753301554cf.jpg

I know it's too late but the little bit of space would be needed since you have to remember that you're going to need enough room to slide the rear tires and wheels off the studs and more than likely have to tip them in at the top to get them in and out of the wheel well openings and the car will move side to side over the tires when cornering not to mention how much the sidewall flex on them big ol'slicks are gonna have if you ever get even a little bit out of shape😉.  

On 3/5/2022 at 11:13 AM, rightrudder said:

I like those scratch built shocks, and the build in general. Coming along nicely! I say go with the rollcage. 👍

Looks like you've solved the shock attachment problem, but in the past I've rifle-drilled a hole in the styrene shock body and used a section of round toothpick as the "pin."

Thanks Douglas.  Good Idea on using tooth picks.