Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Pro Street

Zippi

This is the AMT 55 Chevy that I'm putting the AMT 67 Chevelle frame under.  It took a few mods but it's looking good and that's the 396 BB engine out of the Chevelle.  The wheels and tires are from the AMT 66 Nova Pro Street kit but I may change my mind.  Right now it's a lot of body clean up.  The flash is terrible.

20220223_085529.jpg

20220223_085511.jpg

20220223_085541.jpg

20220223_085613.jpg

20220223_101029.jpg

20220223_101044.jpg

20220223_101104.jpg

20220223_105201.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good Bob. I did a mock up just a few weeks ago planning the same thing with the extra 55 I've got. The Chevelle frame fits in good with just a little modification. My problem is I've already used the Chevelle engine in my pro street truck I did and I don't have another Chevy engine. I'm thinking of making the bow tie fans cringe and put in a Hemi engine I've got laying around. 

_IGP0553.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Looking good Bob. I did a mock up just a few weeks ago planning the same thing with the extra 55 I've got. The Chevelle frame fits in good with just a little modification. My problem is I've already used the Chevelle engine in my pro street truck I did and I don't have another Chevy engine. I'm thinking of making the bow tie fans cringe and put in a Hemi engine I've got laying around. 

_IGP0553.jpg

That Hemi should be nice.  That's what I would use.  I want some white letter tires.  If HL gets any more of the Chevelle kits I'll buy a couple at 40% off.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Nice start on this one.  I have this kit and it requires a lot of cleanup.  AMT isn't going to re-make this one so unfortunately it requires a bit of work.  The body is pretty accurate so it makes a nice '55.  

Thanks Michael.  Yeah, it did take a lot of cleaning of the flash.  The panel likes on the deck lid are pretty rough and not in a straight line.  Other than that, its's pretty nice.  

16 hours ago, Zippi said:

That Hemi should be nice.  That's what I would use.  I want some white letter tires.  If HL gets any more of the Chevelle kits I'll buy a couple at 40% off.

Do you want the treaded tires or slicks? I have a set of white letter slicks that are 2 piece units you can have. Don't know if they will work for your application, they came from a Ford modified series kit. 

_IGP0611.jpg

On 2/24/2022 at 7:26 AM, bluestringer said:

Do you want the treaded tires or slicks? I have a set of white letter slicks that are 2 piece units you can have. Don't know if they will work for your application, they came from a Ford modified series kit. 

_IGP0611.jpg

Man....I do appreciate the offer James but I plan on buying another 67 kit anyway so I'll have what I need.  That's what this hobby is all about, fellows willing to help out one another.

Edited by Zippi

22 hours ago, Zippi said:

Yeah...its an old kit.  AMT probably won't do anything with the mold.  Cost money.  

The body was only tooled up in the 90's, so it surprises me that the mold has deteriorated that much. The rest of the kit is the 55 Nomad tooled in the 60's, so you're correct that some of the kit is old.

Just thinking about it now though, i guess the 90's are 30 years ago, so could be considered old 😵

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The body was only tooled up in the 90's, so it surprises me that the mold has deteriorated that much. The rest of the kit is the 55 Nomad tooled in the 60's, so you're correct that some of the kit is old.

Just thinking about it now though, i guess the 90's are 30 years ago, so could be considered old 😵

Yup....the years click along pretty fast.  

12 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Good looking mock-up. I can't tell from the pic, are those wide steelies on the back? If so, that's wicked cool!

The wheels are painted black and hard to see.  They are the wheels & tires out of the AMT 66 Nova Pro Street kit.  I will not be using those wheels & tires.  The wheels and tires from the 67 Chevelle will be used.

2 hours ago, slusher said:

Bob,  nice engine and mock up.  The 55 looks great as a pro street machine. I have been really enjoying your builds.  What did you have to do to get the Chevelle chassis to fit under the 55 ?

Thanks Carl.  Well, so far, I shaved a small section off the back of the chassis and a little off the front so it was the proper length.  Then, I cut out the front wheel wells.  The chassis is not wide enough so I'm adding some styrene to the sides of the chassis so it will mate up to the body.  There is going to have to be a little work on the 55 interior bucket to get it to play well with the Chevelle chassis but not much.  Lots of trial and error.  I'm actually following a video a fellow on YouTube posted on this same kit bash.  I'm really enjoying this one. 

• Like 2

Looking good! I just finished that kit myself, although I didn't kitbash it, I did highly modify it and it was a lot of fun. I actually bought two of them as one was mis- marked and I couldn't pass it up for the price, but thankfully the flash and mold lines on mine aren't nearly as bad as your pics. Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Looking good! I just finished that kit myself, although I didn't kitbash it, I did highly modify it and it was a lot of fun. I actually bought two of them as one was mis- marked and I couldn't pass it up for the price, but thankfully the flash and mold lines on mine aren't nearly as bad as your pics. Looking forward to seeing this one come to life!

Thanks man.  You and me both brotha, can't wait to see it come alive.