Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Nomad

OldTrucker

I'm in the process of replicating a build I did in our first apartment where I had to stand on the edge of the bathtub and spray paint out the bathroom window.

Was the last one I built before I went to work for Uncle Sam.

The original was one of two,big boxes of builds and kits stolen out of a u haul trailer when we were loading to move from Wisconsin in 1977.

Going to be a real chore painting it red over this metalic blue plastic.

It is also really brittle.

20220327_121341-1.jpg

Colored plastic is always an issue it seems when it comes to painting and especially when you're going to a bright color.  I suggest starting with a gray colored primmer until you get the body prep to where you want it. Next try a white primer before your color coats. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Colored plastic is always an issue it seems when it comes to painting and especially when you're going to a bright color.  I suggest starting with a gray colored primmer until you get the body prep to where you want it. Next try a white primer before your color coats. 

Thanks, that was what I was thinking. I remember year ago having bleed through on some builds leaving me painting it a color that matched the plastic.

Seems all these with the colored metallic plastic either are or get brittle over time just like the clear bodies used to.

2 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Thanks, that was what I was thinking. I remember year ago having bleed through on some builds leaving me painting it a color that matched the plastic.

Seems all these with the colored metallic plastic either are or get brittle over time just like the clear bodies used to.

Another thought on a color blocker. This is something I have not done myself, but I have seen a few well-respected builders here suggest using a metallic silver as a blocker as well. You might want to experiment with any of the kits spruce you may have since it would be the same as the body and that way if it doesn't work, you're not striping the body of paint again. 

I had a Dodge Caravan with red plastic that I painted light blue.  It was Duplicolor gray primer / Duplicolor light blue... worked fine until I added the Testors Wet Look Clear... the red seeped through.

I did strip and repaint..  Duplicolor gray primer / Duplicolor metallic silver and was ready to add the blue when I thought the silver looked dandy!   I added Tamiya clear over the decals and silver with no issues.

I think you'll be OK with the dark blue. I've only had problems with "hot" colors like red, orange and yellow. Never had a problem with blues or greens.

BUT, a good blocker is a good idea. Never hurts to have insurance and do try your paint on the sprue or an unused part to make sure it's OK.

This MPC '81 Z-28 was molded in dark blue. I sprayed Duplicolor white lacquer directly over the bare plastic. That was about 35 years ago and it's still just as bright as the day I painted it.

130 3015

• Like 1

Trying to match things from a model built 50 years ago is a pain!

I used torque thust wheels from the 67 Charger kit making the ones for the rear wider. Rediculously wider!

I used wheels from the 62 Belair kit because that is as close as I could get.

Front tires are the same but the rears aren't. Had some really wide ties back then.

20220331_110717.jpg

6 hours ago, TooOld said:

Lookin' good Johnny !  Always fun to replicate a car we actually owned in the past .  Are those wheels from the Revell or MPC '67 Charger ?

Those were the molded in gray plastic wheels in the AMT 62 Belair kits.

I had used the ones from the old MPC  67 Charger kit on the original build.

38 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

My parts box! Seriously I can't remember what kits these were in.

They have Good Year Blue Streak Special on the side wall

Thanks i had a feeling it was a long shot. I'm  after something similar for a project 

3 hours ago, Limeyglue said:

Can you tell me where the rear tires are from?

Aren't those the tires from the old dirt track racers (super st

ockers?). There's something familiar about that funky tread pattern.

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Aren't those the tires from the old dirt track racers (super st

ockers?). There's something familiar about that funky tread pattern.

MPC used those in many 70s kits. I remember them being in the 72 Cheyenne longbed stepside, as well as the Camaro and Firebird annuals as the race car tires. Probably in their stock car racers too.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...