Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 85 Olds 442


Recommended Posts

I'll try this one next. It will be a slow go with this heat limiting my time in the shed. Anyone who has built one let me know of any problems with it. It will be a combination of the stock and show car.  All comments welcome, thanks for looking. 

_IGP1029.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Already found a problem. After drilling out the holes for the spoiler, the locating pins on the spoiler do not come even close to aligning with the holes. I cut the pins off, but the spoiler has very little gluing contact with the body. May have to leave it off and fill the holes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always loved the look of that grille and always wanted to build one of these models, altho it is completely outside my comfort zone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the spoiler mounting issue. On parts that have little to no glue contact area you can use some short metal or even plastic pins. You could use the holes you drilled in the body as a templet to drill a matching set of holes in the spoiler. Then cut some lengths of metal or plastic to use in the holes as mounting pins. You didn't mention the size of the holes you have now, but I have used something as simple as a staple like you would have in a desk top type stapler and that has worked well on many small parts and even allows a slight adjustment since they are easily bent a little.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mrm said:

I always loved the look of that grille and always wanted to build one of these models, altho it is completely outside my comfort zone. 

The last Revell Special Edition I did was the 68 Chevelle and I made a total mess out of it. I think I may have gotten a little better since then, so I'm giving it a go. I'm sure you would do ok with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, espo said:

On the spoiler mounting issue. On parts that have little to no glue contact area you can use some short metal or even plastic pins. You could use the holes you drilled in the body as a templet to drill a matching set of holes in the spoiler. Then cut some lengths of metal or plastic to use in the holes as mounting pins. You didn't mention the size of the holes you have now, but I have used something as simple as a staple like you would have in a desk top type stapler and that has worked well on many small parts and even allows a slight adjustment since they are easily bent a little.  

Good idea. So far it's holding and I've got primer on, but if it gives me trouble I will do just that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slusher said:

parts like your front spoiler need to be checked before going forward.. I am sure you will figure it out..

Thanks Carl. I've checked the front and rear bumpers, and the one for the show car does not fit well, the stock ones do. I'll use those as I really don't like those side skirts and wheel skirts on the show car anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

The last Revell Special Edition I did was the 68 Chevelle and I made a total mess out of it. I think I may have gotten a little better since then, so I'm giving it a go. I'm sure you would do ok with it. 

Things like that spoiler, I like to plastiweld. Let them cure for a couple of days and then you could hang the finished model by that wing. It wouldn’t be going anywhere. 
  Now, this model is a painter’s car. It’s charm is being all black. Black is cheap and easy to paint as it covers very well. But it will show every single imperfection or mistake. So spending extra time on prep work would pay up at the end. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a little done on it. Paint did not come out great, but it's ok. I am going to redo the hood and bumpers because they were pretty bad looking. Got them in the purple stuff. I used Krylon gloss black in the little short cut can I got at Hobby Lobby. 

_IGP1030.jpg

_IGP1036.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, slusher said:

Paint looks great Crome here!

 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, TransAmMike said:

Well James, in the pic the paint looks just fine.

It's a shame Oldsmobile did'nt actually produce that car. With the  Buick GNX Turbo V6 it would have been an instant classic.

 

On 6/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Like Carl and Mike said, paint looks good to my eyes. I kind of like those Krylon Short Cuts paints, although all I've used is the Flat Black and the Gloss Clear.

Thanks Carl, Mike and Craig. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, Zippi said:

Boy, that Olds 442 is coming along James.  Nice work.  

Thanks Bob.

 

On 6/26/2022 at 2:04 PM, dino246gt said:

Love the chassis detail and finishes, very nicely done!

 

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...