Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Instruction sheet BLOOPERS


Recommended Posts

Here's one I ran into recently. It's from the AMT '69 GTX. It also has the Beep Beep horn mounting to the firewall for the wipers motor.

20220727_122755-1.jpg.e3f8203e85c2bf4fd1a24793ddd816b8.jpg

20220727_122818-1.jpg.26b29a0204c1c19ddd431df69f15283d.jpg

I actually wanted to use the single four barrel intake and carburetor. But, the way the intake is made, you could see the lifter valley underneath.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, peteski said:

Not sure if I follow.  If you remove the intake manifold on a 1:1 V8 engine, you will expose the lifter valley. No?

Not on those Mopar engines. Peter. They have a pan covering the valley and the manifold sits above it.

383 intake gasket and valve cover choice | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

440 big block | Cars & Vehicles | Gumtree Australia Free Local Classifieds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm working on the AMT "Lawman" '64 Plymouth right now. First off this is overall a really nice kit and I don't want to sound like I'm bashing it. The instructions for the engine assembly has a drawing of a Hemi engine in step #7 and the kit has the 426-wedge engine as shown in step #1 and #2. The interior floor boards have openings that would maybe mount a roll bar, but none in the kit.  These are really minor but may be a little confusing for a builder if they aren't familiar with the subject. Extras in the kit include two hood scoop options, you will have to drill your own holes in the hood. A single four barrel and stock air cleaner set up. The suspension has optional front spindles to adjust the ride height and lowering blocks for the rear leaf springs as well as two different length rear shocks. The wheel options are either what looks like a set of American 5 spokes with narrow fronts and wide rears or factory looking steel wheels with the same widths varied widths. The tires are Good Year slicks and narrow front tires. There is a lot to like about this kit, but some ideocracy's on the instruction sheet.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A minor discrepancy in the instructions for the Revell 1970 Baldwin-Motion Chevelle: the illustration for the interior exhibits two levers:
1.) Reverse Lockout lever
2.) Hone-O-Drive lever
The instructions have the nomenclatures transposed, calling the Hone lever the Lockout lever, and vice-versa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Here's one I ran into recently. It's from the AMT '69 GTX. It also has the Beep Beep horn mounting to the firewall for the wipers motor.

20220727_122755-1.jpg.e3f8203e85c2bf4fd1a24793ddd816b8.jpg

20220727_122818-1.jpg.26b29a0204c1c19ddd431df69f15283d.jpg

I actually wanted to use the single four barrel intake and carburetor. But, the way the intake is made, you could see the lifter valley underneath.

Beep Beep horn? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Beep Beep horn.

Came on Road Runners and made the "Beep Beep" sound like the bird in the cartoon. 

They were lavender in '68 and just black afterward.

1969 Plymouth Hemi Road Runner Hardtop | F40.1 | Glendale 2021

Yea, but the model Roger was talking about was a GTX. Not a Roadrunner. 

Edited by unclescott58
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Yea, but model Roger was talking about was a GTX. Not a Roadrunner. 

The Road Runner kit came first and it shares a lot of parts and the instruction sheets.

All the instruction sheets for AMT kits that use that chassis and it's pro street version share the same mistake on the instructions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

The Road Runner kit came first and it shares a lot of parts and the instruction sheets.

All the instruction sheets for AMT kits that use that chassis and it's pro street version share the same mistake on the instructions.

That’s the point. It’s a mistake, or blooper in more ways than one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't remember the kit (I'm guessing '69 Judge). It was one of those old Ertl 1/18 diecast Body Shop kits. The Judge picture suddenly turned into what was clearly a '69 Camaro on the instruction sheet. If I am ever able to find it, I'll post a picture.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Beep Beep horn? 

The horn used in Road Runners mimicked the "meep" sound the animated RR made.  The horn used was a forklift item, it sounded like that because of the wire used in making it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

They were lavender in '68 and just black afterward.

Other way around: 1968 = Black horn (with B&W Roadrunner [sic] character) - 1969-1974 = Lavender (not sure if the 1975 & 1976-1980 horns were the same colour).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mark said:

The horn used in Road Runners mimicked the "meep" sound the animated RR made.  The horn used was a forklift item, it sounded like that because of the wire used in making it.

The story I always heard was that Chrysler bought a whole bunch of Jeep horns from the U.S. military. These had the sound they were after at less of a cost they would have to spend to make their own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The horn used in Road Runners mimicked the "meep" sound the animated RR made.  The horn used was a forklift item, it sounded like that because of the wire used in making it.

I know history of the horn. Your missing the point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Other way around: 1968 = Black horn (with B&W Roadrunner [sic] character) - 1969-1974 = Lavender (not sure if the 1975 & 1976-1980 horns were the same colour).

As an aside, did the 1980 RR have that horn, and did it have the sticker on it?

I've got the 1980 Volare brochure, it makes no mention of Warner Brothers, and the cartoon bird does not appear anywhere on the 1980 Road Runner.  WB of course holds the copyright to the bird but not the Road Runner name itself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...