Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford F-350 Ramptruck

I thought I had started a thread on this but couldn't find it.  This kit has warped parts and Moebius knows about it.  I contacted them a while back and they apologized and said it would be a while for replacement part.  After about 1 1/2 months I reached out to them again and was told it would be another 5 weeks.  I decided to go ahead and finish it.  And of coarse the bed came out warped despite trying to build it straight.  It is what it is I guess.  I got the body in Tamiya Light Gray primer the other day and yesterday got the top coat (Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue) airbrushed on.  I'll be shooting the top in Tamiya X-2 White.     

Ramptruck.jpg

20221010_160646.jpg

20221010_160656.jpg

20221011_095904.jpg

20221011_095912.jpg

20221012_090215.jpg

20221012_090228.jpg

20221012_090150.jpg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Bullybeef said:

Looks good Bob, mine is warped as well, so far the only bad spot for me will be the hood, I got the ramp body square enough for a shelf build. 

Thanks man.  Not sure if I'll display this one or not.

• Like 1

Well....I taped off the top of the cab and painted the the white this morning.  When I pulled the tape off it left a residue on the blue paint.  I tried to clean it and wet sand it and nothing worked so it's in the purple pond.  I'm using a new tape since I ran out of the tape I use to use.  This time around I used the Scotch Blue painters tape.  

20221013_103330.jpg

20221013_103343.jpg

• Like 1

Ok....I took the cab out of the purple pond this morning and got it all cleaned up.  The Tamiya gray lacquer primer was not harmed and looked good.  Made a trip to the local Hobby Shop for some more paint.  I re-shot the blue paint on the cab and this time I'm not going to do any taping of for the white top.  It will all stay blue.

20221014_082402.jpg.38acd3eea3d7d368def597dec9d1fce2.jpg

20221014_120113.jpg.25e56a1103d7dba62499541f434580b2.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, slusher said:

The blue your using Bob, looks like grabber blue! Have you ever used Frog tape? Lots of guys use it. I only use Tamiya but that would be my 2nd choice..

The blue is Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue.  I have not tried Frog Tape.  I'll probably just pick up a roll of tape at HL or some Tamiya tape next time I'm at the hobby shop.  

I have had that same issue with the tape. I have found that it is not residue, but that the base paint was not cures enough and when I stuck the tape on it, it left a tape pattern behind that ruined the paint. I think what is happening is that because the paint is not fully cured, the paint is still gassing off and when the gasses are trapped by the tape, it causes that tape pattern to be left behind. 

I have found that if I leave it for a week or 2, then that does not happen. Also, it only happens with solvent based paints, not water based paints.

43 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

I have had that same issue with the tape. I have found that it is not residue, but that the base paint was not cures enough and when I stuck the tape on it, it left a tape pattern behind that ruined the paint. I think what is happening is that because the paint is not fully cured, the paint is still gassing off and when the gasses are trapped by the tape, it causes that tape pattern to be left behind. 

I have found that if I leave it for a week or 2, then that does not happen. Also, it only happens with solvent based paints, not water based paints.

I appreciate the info Scott.  It was Tamiya acrylic paint and it had dried for 3 days.  the weather has been a lot cooler lately so maybe it hadn't totally cured like you said.  

The temperature got to around 55° and the humidity was at 19% so I got out the airbrush out and shot the Ramptruck with Tamiya X-22 Clear.  I'll let this cure out for about 3 days then wet sand and polish it.    

20221020_121624.jpg

20221020_121643.jpg

20221020_121635.jpg

• Like 2