Model Cars Magazine Forum

5 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

I generally use masking tape, whether it's the blue stuff from the hardware store or the tamiya fine line.  I tried BMF once with not great results.  I'm interested to try out the Molotow liquid masking pen I've seen recently

I use BMF quite frequently when I need to mask weird, uneven areas where masking tape won't conform.

Steve

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, GoForItPainting said:

Hello

There are so many different techniques that can be used for masking. And now I want to show you some of the ones I use.

A couple of questions. What is the name of the circle cutter you used to make circular stencils (at the 4:41 mark) and where did you get it? Also, what is the brand name of the white modeling masking tape you used and where did you get it?

• Like 1

My response, above, will be more helpful, with some illustration. I built these wheels for a Nostalgia Top Fuel dragster currently in progress. The centers are, clearly a mishmash of shapes, to attempt to cover. Most tapes aren't flexible enough to efficiently cover without some piecework with the tape. Parafilm is not only very flexible, it also stretches some, which was a big help, in this instance. It provided clean demarcation between the colors. The punch is from a Harbor Freight set.

2DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Racersonly said:

The stick like tool that’s used in the video to form the masking putty edges. What is it and where might a guy get one?

I think you are referring to what is called a silicone brush.

Silicone rubber tip instead of bristles...used primarily in clay sculpting...but has many other applicable situations.

20 hours ago, Racersonly said:

The stick like tool that’s used in the video to form the masking putty edges. What is it and where might a guy get one?

18 hours ago, Khils said:

I think you are referring to what is called a silicone brush.

Silicone rubber tip instead of bristles...used primarily in clay sculpting...but has many other applicable situations.

Ak sells both soft and hard