Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)

2 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Great update, you have really improved the engine. Both the block and heads make a big difference. Well done!  I can however see a possible issue with boring the block to fit the 4 D shaped pistons.  It must have been an early  "D"onovan deal.

Yeah, I haven't been able to figure out how they managed that! Impressive! 😄

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Nostalgia Fuel Dragster--Blower Manifold (01/28/23)
8 hours ago, Joe Nunes said:

The engine is coming along great, a model all by itself within a model. Your photos and commentary are really appreciated.  👌

Joe

Thanks again, Joe! I'm happy that you appreciate this stuff! 

I feel like I actually accomplished something with the mill, today! Here's the blower pressure relief plate/panel. The springs are some I found in a drawer of miscellaneous metal bits. I'll likely use model RR NBW castings for the spring retainers. It's not perfect, but, it's the smallest, most detailed piece I've made, yet, with the mill. I'm pretty happy with the way this is coming along. Although it's a Hemi-powered FED, the fact that the engine's a late(r)-model Donovan, and will be equipped with the Shotgun injector, will make it unique. As always, questions, critiques and comments are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0003cr.jpg

2DSC_0011cr.jpg

3DSC_0001cr.jpg

3DSC_0003cr.jpg

3DSC_0006cr.jpg

3DSC_0007cr.jpg

3DSC_0008cr.jpg

3DSC_0012cr.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iBorg said:

Since you have a mill and a rotary table, why not make bolt heads for the spring retainers?

It's a thought, but, if I already have something that will work, it's time I could save for other pursuits. 🙂 I'm not 100% sure I have exactly what I'll need, so, it could happen...

I got some more work done to the engine. I made a fuel pump, and tacky-glued the idler pulley bracket on. I'm going to have to swap the crank pulley--need a little less overdrive on the blower!😄 I'm as yet undecided as to the valve covers. I have a couple of options--or, I could try my hand at milling a pair. I recently bought some aluminum stock, just in case. It's coming along! Comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0028cr.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

That/s awesome, i learn something new every day thanks for the info man

Thanks, Marcos! I noticed that the cogs on the crank pulley were very tall. I was able to gain the needed space by simply sanding them down. That worked out, well, considering I was struggling to get a new one cast.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nice work. What are you going to use for the blower belt.

Thanks, Bob. I will likely use some sort of tape, and make the Gilmer drive cogs from strip styrene. I did a fuel motor years ago, and did that with masking tape. It worked out, pretty well, and is still together! I'll use smaller stock, this time around! 🙂

New Fuel Front.jpg

New Fuel Left No Flash reworked.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nice work. What are you going to use for the blower belt.

Bob, you got me thinking about just how to go about this. I was turning a crank pulley, because I wanted to see how my knurls would look for the drive cogs. Looking at the knurls on the aluminum stock, I got the idea to roll the knurled stock down a .125" strip of styrene. I'll need to come up with a way to apply even, and greater pressure to the strip, but, I think this shows promise! Thank you, sir!

I made spark plug tubes from 1/16" aluminum tube. I decided on these valve covers. They'll get a little work. I also replaced the fuel tank supports. I think that only leaves one thing, a mounting pin, to solder to the chassis before that's all done--I think.😀Thanks for looking!

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0021cr.jpg

DSC_0032cr.jpg

DSC_0033cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

awesome details man in that engine, looking forward to see more of the new setup

Thanks, my friend! I got the breathers pinned into place. Then, I decided it was time to play with my toy, and set it together.😀 

I knurled a 1" diameter aluminum rod, to see if that would give better results creating the drive cogs on the blower belt. Simply rolling it over the strip doesn't create quite enough relief to make them readily visible. I will have to make some sort of tool to apply mechanical pressure, with a knurl on one side and a smooth roller, on the other. I am fairly confident that this is the right path.

2DSC_0001cr.jpg

2DSC_0004cr.jpg

2DSC_0007cr.jpg

2DSC_0009cr.jpg

2DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

• Like 2

After some more experimentation, I think I have my blower belt material. I used the heavier knurled rod, rolled over wine bottle foil. It's my favorite material for making seat belts, because it's easy to work. It looks like it'll work, here, as well! I guess I'll be making new blower drive pulleys, too. I painted this piece of belt with Tamiya Tire Black spray. I think a charcoal grey would be best, because then, a wash of flat black will really make the cogs pop. What do you guys think?

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

• Like 4

Mallory Supermag 3. I used the cap from a casting that I can't recall where it came from, and turned the body from aluminum knitting needle. The shaft is 1/32" brass tube and the "stop ring" is 1/16" aluminum tube. The retainer cap is a disc punched from an old long-distance phone card. I just realized that, as much as like the breathers, I can't use them. The engine needs puke hoses and tank, instead. Duh! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

A lot of good ideas create something out of the ordinary and we have a good example here, I especially like the blower belt, the result is convincing and impressive! 👍

2 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Excellent stuff, Daniel. Love the belt drive idea. I think I may give it a try. 

Scott

Francis and Scott, thanks for your kind words. They are very much appreciated! I'm pretty happy with the Gilmer drive. It looks very much to scale. I used an 80 TPI knurl. I think 60 or 70 would be okay, but this scales out to (I think) 3/8", which isn't too far off the cogs that are left on the one hanging on my shop wall!😀 

4 hours ago, iBorg said:

Dan, how did you do the knurling? 

Sherline 80 TPI knurls on the lathe.

1 hour ago, Tortuga Kustomz said:

that's very cool, love the distributor man

Thank you, Marcos. It should look pretty cool, once it's done. I plan to make 90 degree boots, to fit under the retainer cap.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Sherline 80 TPI knurls on the lathe.

Thank you, Marcos. It should look pretty cool, once it's done. I plan to make 90 degree boots, to fit under the retainer cap.

Thant sounds nice, i've been planning how to do that for my Camaro, hope to do a good job on that, i know you will do an awesome job on it