Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trunk louvers ?

I've done louvers a few times. But, not on resin. Only difference is the glue. The way I do it is graft the louvers from a panel that has them onto the panel that doesn't. I cut each individual row of louvers. I place the row of louvers onto the panel, trace around it, cut out the section and glue the row of louvers in. Then repeat the process until done. The toughest part is sanding between the rows of louvers. I made a sanding stick from sprue with sandpaper glued to it. 

Might be pretty labor intensive, but if I was going to try it, I might start with a length of half round, and either split it down the center, or sand it down half way to make it a quarter round.

Then lay out and mark where each louver is going, cut precise lengths of the quarter round and glue them to each mark.

Once dry, I would round over the outside edges with sand paper.

Of course this would probably work best with plastic on plastic where you could use a MEK type plastic cement for gluing, but I suppose that it could be possible with super glue.

Just an option that might be worth trying if all else fails.

But you’ll have to be ready to commit.

That’s going to be a lot of individual louvers to recreate.

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Might be pretty labor intensive, but if I was going to try it, I might start with a length of half round, and either split it down the center, or sand it down half way to make it a quarter round.

Then lay out and mark where each louver is going, cut precise lengths of the quarter round and glue them to each mark.

Once dry, I would round over the outside edges with sand paper.

Of course this would probably work best with plastic on plastic where you could use a MEK type plastic cement for gluing, but I suppose that it could be possible with super glue.

Just an option that might be worth trying if all else fails.

But you’ll have to be ready to commit.

That’s going to be a lot of individual louvers to recreate.

Steve

That's kinda how I did the louvers in the filler panel in front of the rad in the Limelighter I built.

I started with flat rectangular stock cut to shape and just rounded down the front edge and sides with sandpaper after they were glued down solid.

100 0533

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

Is that place still in business ? I just tried to order and this came up, "Unfortunately, there is no payment method available."

"

I just went to the website, and went through the entire ordering process up until the final “place order” tab. (PayPal)

Up until that point, everything worked fine.

I wasn’t going to hit that final tab because I don’t want the product.

Steve

5 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

That's kinda how I did the louvers in the filler panel in front of the rad in the Limelighter I built.

I started with flat rectangular stock cut to shape and just rounded down the front edge and sides with sandpaper after they were glued down solid.

100 0533

Thanks!

That’s pretty much what I had pictured in my minds eye.

Just trying to think through the best way to get there. 😊

Steve

I bought the .040" thinking about using it for louvers...as you have described, cut a bunch of them to the same length, round off the corners, and cement in place with the rounded corners facing forward.  After they are in place, round off the corners sticking up, then knock down the height of the louvers a bit.  .040" would translate to 1" in 1/25 scale, it seemed to compare well with the strips of louvers included in some early Sixties car kits.

This model has resin copies of of the pieces I mastered using the technique I mentioned earlier. The hood sides were done differently. 

20200419_144512-1.jpg.5dd6fe2e0b3f162a33640d7ef60f7737.jpg.5d522205ed5d4040d46a73a150cba168.jpg

20200419_144730-1.jpg.721f75c6e3b11806b674ba1c324bd07f.jpg.361f66dcffb3c7f80d403174e03b3532.jpg

I did a tutorial on the TRaK forum if you want to look it up. How different are the '34 and '36 trunks? I think I have an extra resin trunk around here somewhere. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

This model has resin copies of of the pieces I mastered using the technique I mentioned earlier. The hood sides were done differently. 

20200419_144512-1.jpg.5dd6fe2e0b3f162a33640d7ef60f7737.jpg.5d522205ed5d4040d46a73a150cba168.jpg

20200419_144730-1.jpg.721f75c6e3b11806b674ba1c324bd07f.jpg.361f66dcffb3c7f80d403174e03b3532.jpg

I did a tutorial on the TRaK forum if you want to look it up. How different are the '34 and '36 trunks? I think I have an extra resin trunk around here somewhere. 

Those the ones that Ed had cast?

Some great info here thanks guys. Thinking about using some 1/4 round to make the louvers and attach them to some thin sheet styrene. Then cut out the louver section and attach it to the body. This is how I make tuck-n-roll upholstery. 

Thanks for the info and tips.

Archer stuff is available thru Teds 

9 hours ago, Calb56 said:

thepartsbox resin louvres are very good. They each measure 7mm x 18mm.

I'm seeking louvres that are 9mm wide.

On the right is a resin louvre unit from my parts box. It measures 25mm wide x 20.5mm. I don't know where it came from (!)...

IMG_0253.jpeg

Those resin pieces look like copies of the short louver strips that came in some AMT and Jo-Han kits in the early Sixties.  The wide strip also looks like a copy of another such piece that came in a handful of AMT kits.